Author Topic: Murder in Western Australia  (Read 22322 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Murder in Western Australia
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 12:16 BST (UK) »

4 June 1941 The West Australian http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/47327871
John Fox v Zelda Arna Colleen Fox .... Desertion

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 30 June 11 04:08 BST (UK) »
I  have been  trying  to pursue  family lines  to get some further information as to your original question of John Alexander FOX's background

We are not seeming to achieve this  goal.

Now  depending on  how far you want to pursue  this,  I really feel  that you need to purchase a marriage certificate of this man  the one for his marriage  to Rosa in 1888  will give his father's name  but  the one to Minnie Elizabeth  will  give his mother's name as well.

Western Australian Certificates are not cheap  but  they  service is very good  from  their BDM department ( I do speak from my own personal experiences only) and the certificates arrived in under 2 weeks. 

Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 30 June 11 04:12 BST (UK) »

4 June 1941 The West Australian http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/47327871
John Fox v Zelda Arna Colleen Fox .... Desertion

Cheers,  JM

my  thoughts her are  this Zelda was born in 1911 so  very young for  "our" John  not impossible you might say  however by 1941  on  the desertion bit  he was getting elderly  to say  the least  ;)

Jenn
HAIR, Durham,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
VAN REYK Sri Lanka

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 30 June 11 04:35 BST (UK) »
I have  that  that Joseph FOX married Jane Annie King in Tasmania in 1880  and that William Arthurn Enoch Fox was born there in 1882

Jenn
HAIR, Durham,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
VAN REYK Sri Lanka

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 30 June 11 04:55 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/31861332
3 June 1925 The West Australian
IF this is the John Fox who was the father of Esther and Rosalinda, then his evidence at the inquest gives some information
 :) He had been married two days (ie married around 22 April 1925)
 :) He had held a drivers licence in both NSW and WA but was “not now a licensed driver” (edit to add, Fox had held a WA drivers licence 'three years ago' (so he was in WA in 1922 !, so when was he in NSW ??)
 :) He was driving his wife back to Cottesloe, and had been driving on the road a couple of years previously.
 :) Frank Leighton Robertson, of Perth singing teacher,  said that he was Fox’s STEP FATHER.  (not sure if that would at that time be same as “father in law” would mean today)

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/31858776
20 May 1925 The West Australian
Letter to the Editor re the accident, signed by John Fox, Perth, mentioning he was staying at The Windsor Hotel.

I agree with Jenn that the certificates for the 1888 and 1905 oops 1899 marriages would be helpful. 

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/64051315 
15 November 1924 The Register
If the John Fox who married Zelda A C Bailey in 1925 is the elusive chap you are seeking, then that m.c. would also be helpful. 

:) I noticed that from the index for her d.c. she would have only been 14 when she married in WA to Fox., and also only 14 when she gave supporting evidence in the court case that followed that accident ....  No mention of her youthfulness in those newspaper cuttings though ....  :-X 

:) It would seem her age at death would be a tad “out” (creative artistic licence perhaps ) for she was named in the newspapers as Miss Zelda Bailey, one of two solo dancers, with the Humphrey Bishop Company in South Australia in 1924.

Yes, in 1941 he would have been around 80, if that were him seeking a divorce ....  Would the Supreme Court of WA have those divorce papers ?   And where would he be living .... presume in WA, but where .... Not in England, surely, despite the 1936 newspaper cutting having him being an Englishman on a business tour of Australia ....  If it is the elusive chap, John Alexander Fox, then he was not enrolled at either of his daughters addresses (in WA)  that I have found...

And is it likely there would be Perth City Council records from 1908 (newspaper cutting for his wife's interment mentions the council).... and that is definitely the chap we have been looking for ...

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 30 June 11 06:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Frank Robertson, (the step father)  sorted  :) , and I think that would rule out the chap who married Zelda Bailey...
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/58062493 16 November 1924 Sunday Times

“Mrs. Frank Robertson and her clever little daughter Jean are leaving early next month on a trip to Adelaide, where many of Mrs. Robertson's relatives reside. They will then go on to Sydney to see Mrs. Robertson's son, Mr. John Fox.”     (Even I cannot see any mother having a child (John Fox)  in the 1860s and another (Jean) in the 1920's  ;) )

Speculating again though .... there’s :
John Fox, late of Darcy Creek, WA, died abt 14 April 1921 Probate Intestate Administration
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/57973322  19 June 1921 Sunday Times
Most likely that cutting would refer to one of these d.c.s
John Fox, registered Gascoyne, #15
John Fox, registered E Coolgardie, #234

I am not sure where Darcy Creek would be ...

Cheers,  JM

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 01 July 11 07:37 BST (UK) »
I  have been  trying  to pursue  family lines  to get some further information as to your original question of John Alexander FOX's background

We are not seeming to achieve this  goal.

Now  depending on  how far you want to pursue  this,  I really feel  that you need to purchase a marriage certificate of this man  the one for his marriage  to Rosa in 1888  will give his father's name  but  the one to Minnie Elizabeth  will  give his mother's name as well.

Western Australian Certificates are not cheap  but  they  service is very good  from  their BDM department ( I do speak from my own personal experiences only) and the certificates arrived in under 2 weeks. 

Jenn
I have seent off for the certificate of the marriage to Minnie Elizabeth but have some reserve as to whether I have completed their form correctly... I guess they will let me know ........ it was such a rigmarole which for an oldie was rather daunting ......... would love to have done it electronically as I do with UK and NSW.
Thanks to all of you for your help .......
Everyone loves a good murder eh? ........ will see if I can find some more ;)
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 01 July 11 07:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Joe,

Do you know if anyone else was ever charged over the murder of John Fox's wife ?   I have looked through trove and not been able that out....

Cheers,  JM

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 01 July 11 07:54 BST (UK) »
unfortunately not JM .......... it would be interesting to know ........ might be just an open verdict??
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.