Author Topic: Murder in Western Australia  (Read 22302 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Murder in Western Australia
« Reply #54 on: Friday 01 July 11 07:59 BST (UK) »
It seems so Joe.

It amazes me though that in that era with the then racism policies that that the police seem to have overlooked charging the Chinese who John claimed had threatened him in the weeks before the murder.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 01 July 11 09:01 BST (UK) »
I know I shall look forward to  your posting the information up from  the marriage certificate lets hope it is not too long a wait  Joboy

kind thoughts Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 01 July 11 09:14 BST (UK) »
They will have got my application by now ......... I anticipate that they will contact me early next week to let me know where I have gone wrong with the form.
Will certainly let you know when they do.
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline Roden43

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 09 December 12 02:13 GMT (UK) »
Rosalina Fox was my great aunt. I have researched her murder and the history of John Alexander Fox. Please contact me offline as it is far to large to post.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 09 December 12 07:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Roden and welcome to the RootsChat family.

You will need to have one or two more posts before Joboy or anyone can PM you.  This is due to RC's policy, to prevent spam.

Just say OK, thanks in another post, and then something like 'hope to hear from you soon' in a third one, and the way will be clear.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 10 December 12 02:54 GMT (UK) »
I know I shall look forward to  your posting the information up from  the marriage certificate lets hope it is not too long a wait  Joboy

kind thoughts Jenn
This flurry of activity has stirred this old brain.
I should have answered before this Jenn ..John Fox (widower) 32 of Harley St Perth married Elizabeth Minnie Irvine (spinster) 24 of East Perth at Charles Street Wesleyan Church Sept 29 1899 and the witnesses were Septimus Dyson and Alexander Fox.

John Fox father was James (deceased) a gardener and his mother was Mary Powell Goode.

Elizabeth's father was George Irvine (deceased) a brickmaker and her mother Eliza Foster.
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

Offline AlexNoodle

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Large Family circa 1906
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 06 January 13 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Joboy

I am related to Joseph Fox (the one who married Mary Barry) via his brother Enoch Fox (which is no doubt how the name Enoch filtered it's way into the family!)

I am curious as to whether anyone (you or Rob Couzens) have ordered the marriage certificate of John Fox and Rose Maries in 1888 to see if the details match up with the details from the marriage cert from his second marriage to Elizabeth?

I noticed that there seem to be a fair few inconsistencies with the stories and the records and I am trying to get my head around it all.

1. John's marriage cert to Elizabeth in 1899 states his mother was Mary Powell Goode.... this doesn't match up with Mary Barry. Despite the fact the newspaper article does tie him up to being the same man who married Rosalinda who he was suspected of murdering in 1899.

2. His age on the marriage cert gives him as having a year of birth as 1867 - making him the younger brother out of he and William - the one who died in 1894 of the gunshot wound, not the older brother as the papers made out to be.

3. The paper's stating he had been born in England but came over with his parents - unless this was in some way covering up for the fact his father Joseph/James had been a convict, as no doubt that would have caused further suspicions on his character.

4. I have seen Rob Couzen's tree on Ancestry which also has children Henry b. 1871, Esther b. 1874 and Alexander b. 1877. None of these have births registered, unless for some reason they were under another surname. Esther married John Philip Litton in 1892 and she died in 1903 - which gives a year of birth around 1874. Perhaps by the time Mary nee Barry died in 1904 her other children had died or were living elsewhere and had fallen out with her hence not being named on her death notice?

It seems this family - if they are definitely all connected and are the same family, were quite unfortunate with all the tragedies they had. My line from Enoch also had some sadness with Enoch dying quite young and his widow re-marrying and then being widowed again quite quickly when her husband went to America and died there. Enoch and his wife had two children - one died in infancy and their surviving child Elizabeth went on to marry a man 21 years older than her who had been recently widowed and they had eight children of which 4 died in infancy and then her husband died in 1907 - after 22 years of marriage. She remarried several years later but was widowed again after just 9 years of marriage.

Please feel free to message me!

Regards

Alex
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br />Marshall: Leeds/Silkstone/Ashton/Hyde. Griffiths: Llanrhaeder ym Mochnant/Glyn Ceiriog/Ashton. Pilley: Chelmsford/Maldon. Hallas: Ashton/Stalybridge. Large: Tarvin/Manchester/Mossley. McDonald: Ireland/Whitfield/Mossley.

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 06 January 13 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alex and welcome to the MIWA club.
When I initiated this topic over 18 months ago I had no idea how far it would be researched by those that were interested in it.
It has spread into so many related areas.
I have not ordered the MC that you mentioned as I really dont have need of it.
They were indeed an unfortunate family as you say with tragedy both in UK and OZ... I dont think they were struck by a 'lucky star'at all.
I guess that more will be added by folk with an interest.
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

Offline Roden43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 28 April 13 05:02 BST (UK) »
Hello to all. Sorry for the belated reply. Work is definately the curse of family history research. I am more than happy to share my research of many years into the Fox family and the murder of my great aunt Rosalinda on the 4th February 1899 at Gallops Gardens, Dalkeith, W.A. James Fox ( and there is conjecture as to whether or not that was his name for there is no record of a James in the marriage of James Snr and Harriet Royle) arrived in Western Australia aboard the Mermaid on the 13th May 1851 as prisoner number 233 (his transportation papers list his name as Joseph Fox). This prisoner was granted permission to marry in 1854 and subsequently married Mary Barry on the 23rd of August 1854 and all 8 of their children were born in W.A. There is considerable confusion about Rosalinda's father due to the Anglisisation of the German Miers/Maries to Myers. His Germanic name was Herman Heinrich Miers and he disappeard at sea off Roeborne W.A. and his body was never recovered. On John Alexander Fox's marriage certificate to Rosalinda "Maries" her father is listed as "George Maries". It should be remembered that not a lot of people were literate and the spelling of names on many certificates were adapted from phonetic pronunciations. After Rosalinda's murder John Alexander subsequently married Elizabeth Minnie Irvine (who subsequently died on the 13th January 1908 from Myoma of the Uterus, Hystorectomy and exhaustion. After Minnies death he married Catherine Carey in 1909/1910 and moved to Victoria. Catherine passed away on the 10th August 1938 and John Alexander then married Maria May Fergusen. At John Alexander's passing Maria had John Alexander interred with Catherine.
Please contact me if I can help with any further information.