Author Topic: gorham name  (Read 22592 times)

Offline Yoda77

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: gorham name
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hi copper john,
 I've just been reading through  your  topic of Gorham Name  and seems interesting as i am an ancestor of  gorhams,  and  some of the names that  you have come up with match  with  some of  my ancestry line.  I belong to James Gorham Born in 1813  who  married Jane A. Jarman on 21 Apr
1837 in Wittersham, KEN, ENG.  I am situated  in Cowra, NSW. I don't know which part of the Gorham tree you are situated, you sound like a long lost relative of some description along the gorham line i have a book of Gorhams  "On Gunnary Creek" which  has my gorham family  history  which gives a lot of  tree history.  If u would like some more information on this part of the Gorham line I am happy 2 help out in any way.
       Cheers Troy

Offline copper john

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 26 August 11 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Troy, yes we are cousins, I have been in touch with the author of your book who has been very helpfull with my research;if you go to page 10 of the book my branch stems from John and Elizabeth Barnes. The trail goes through East Sussex into Ashford in Kent then into London with a James Gorham who became clock/watchmaker to the Queen and Royal Family circa 1820-50, his son James joined him in Kensington ,sadly they both died in 1856 and are buried in the same grave at the Kensal Green Cemetery.am having difficulty confirming and naming Jame's wife. A few more generations and a move to Essex for a while then my dad also John migrated to WA in 1952 with the family of 5, I am the eldest son from this branch, now 74yrs have 3 sons and 5 grandchildren all here around Perth.
cheers copper john, pls let me know if I can help further.

Offline Lorayne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 30 January 12 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello All!
I am also a GORHAM descendent. I live in Queensland, Australia. I have only just recently started to research this line.
This is where I am up to so far.
JAMES GORHAM b. 1718 Warbleton, Sussex ( parents JOHN GORHAM and SARAH?)  m MARY? JAMES and MARY moved to Sevington, Kent
children
1. MARY GORHAM b. 1747 Warbleton m. THOMAS BARTEN 1767 at Sevington
2. SARAH GORHAM b. 1749 Kent m. THOMAS BARNARD 1777 Ashford
3. ELIZABETH GORHAM b. 1750 kENT m. SAMUEL BARNARD 1776 Ashford
4. SUSANNA GORHAM b. 1753 Kent m. THOMAS WILLIS 1774 Ashford
5. ESTER GORHAM b. 1755 Kent m. STEPHEN SILLIBOURNE 1779 at Sevington ( MY LINE)
6. JOHN GORHAM b. 1758 Kent m. MARY RICKMAN  d. 1806 Willesborough
7. ANN GORHAM b. 1760 Kent m. JOSHUA RICKMAN 1783 at Ashford
8. JAMES GORHAM b. 1767 Kent m. MARY ANDREWS 1786 at Hinxhill d, 1791 at Aldington
The problem seems to be that they were Quakers, so the records are sketchy. I was able to get quite a few records from the non parochial  BDM site. Also I have transcribed the wills of JAMES GORHAM of Sevington, Samuel Barnard and Thomas Barnard. They are available to view on the site www. willtranscriptions.co.uk. Peter has a great sit there. I will also upload the will of CALEB RICKMAN  ( father of MARY RICKMAN and JOSHUA RICKMAN) in a day or so. I hope this helps someone, also I hope to hear of some of you, as it looks like we are related.

Regards
Lorayne

Offline copper john

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 03:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lorayne, I have a fair amount of "Gorham" ancestry, my line is from #8 on your list-James and Mary, this line goes back to 1633 with a Thomas and Constance Barnes, all lived in Kent around that time.
There is a family of Gorhams who migrated to NSW in 1838 and a really great book called "On Gunnery Creek" author Desmond Gorham living in NSW (you can order a copy) I have the contacts if you need.
The origin of the Gorham name can be traced back to France and there is a murmer of fuzzy logic that the name goes back further to the Vikings!.
Please let me know how I can help further as I am still searching. ie a branch of Gorhams migrated to America and became silversmiths, they produced:The Davis Cup, The Americas Cup,Indy 500 Cup and Airforce One has Gorham silver tableware for the US President and staff.CJohn

Offline copper john

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lorayne, I apologise for not completing my response: I was born in Essex UK 1937(near London) then after WW2 war in 1952 the whole family migrated to WA. Both parents were divorced and remarried in 1950 so the family was now:step mum Margaret and a step brother John, step sister Diane plus my dad John,son John (me) and a sister Valerie, in 1951 another half sister Peggy was born, so three Johns arrived in Fremantle and started a new life here.
Sadly mum and dad have passed on but the rest of the family are all here in WA and get on fine, as the retired & eldest I am trying to put the  "gorham" ancestry line together for posterity which is fun and equally frustrating at times, cheers and good researching,best regards, copper John Perth WA

Offline Roger Andrews

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 03:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Copper John
I see from the from the conversations with Lorayne that you are a descendant of James Gorham and Mary ANDREWS therefore you are a distant cousin of mine having shared the ancestor of Edward Andrews b 1580, Do you have any details of the Andrews side of the family? I would happy to supply you with a copy of the Andrews family tree should you wish.
Regards
Roger

Offline copper john

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 05:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roger, what a pleasant surprise re Mary Andrews-you must be a mind reader as she was to be next on my list for followup,since I found out about her early and first marriage to James Gorham which only lasted a couple of years before she was widowed(maybe James died in an accident).
Yes please Roger, if it's not too much trouble I would like a copy of her ancestry, is there any way that I can reciprocate?.
Best regards,
copper John.

Offline Roger Andrews

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 13:46 GMT (UK) »
I have from the Hinxhill, Kent headstone that James GORHAM late of Aldington died 26 June 1791 aged 24. Left issue by Mary his wife two children viz James and Hester. I understand that his wife was Mary Andrews and I think that she was the daughter of Martha Andrews(nee Chittenden) and Thomas Andrews. From what I understand she later married a Chittenden. I have copies of hand written correspondence of Martha Andrews 1727-1789 wherein she mentions James Gorham amongst other correspondence. The problem is that the same names repeat themselves from one generation. I had this sort of confirmed by a cousin of a cousin of mine in the UK. If you would like to contact me regarding a copy of the Andrews family tree being descendants of Edward and Alice Andrews 1580 which is pretty accurate my email address is listed below.
Regards
Roger Andrews
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline roipolloi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 22 April 13 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hello to all

I am interested in exploring some links with the Andrews and Chittenden families of Hinxhill.

For example Daniel Chittenden married Sarah Pilcher at St James, Dover in 1791

She was born in Cheriton, Kent in 1764. The marriage record says that Daniel was also from Cheriton, however I think he was not born there.

When I search Kent for a Daniel Chittenden born between 1750 and 1770, I came up with one answer:

Daniel Chittenden, christened 24 August 1760 in Hinxhill, Kent, the son of John Chittenden and Mary Mabourne.

I am aware that the Chittendens and Andrews of Hinxhill intermarried quite a lot during the mid 18C but I am not sure where this Daniel might fit in. I would appreciate any guidance here.

Also interested in any extended family links with Pilchers, Burvills and Hyders

Hoping you can help

Regards

Chris Arnold

Arnold, Burville
Kent