Author Topic: gorham name  (Read 22555 times)

Offline copper john

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: gorham name
« Reply #45 on: Monday 22 April 13 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hi roipolloi, I have searched what I have and cannot help-you are correct in that Ashford in Kent is the epicentre of the people you seek so perhaps a visit to the Kent family archives would be a good starting point. I have a fair amount of Andrews/Gorham info from this region but am mainly researching the Gorham male line to see where it leads,so far back to 1600's in Kent/Sussex.
I do have reference to some Chittendens/Andrews but no Daniels have have surfaced-this info from a Roger Andrews Sydney Australia who has a thorough research back to 1580, refer these pages.
Best regards, copper john.

Offline roipolloi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 22 April 13 11:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your reply

The reference to the Daniels -- or lack of them-- is in itself helpful

I am --like Roger--from oz, so cannot quite get easily to the Kent archives

But I would like to do so and visit the Dover cliffs

Cheers

Chris

Arnold, Burville
Kent

Offline copper john

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 22 April 13 12:29 BST (UK) »
Hi roipolloi, since I replied to you Roger Andrews from Sydney has replied to me (phone) as I am in Perth WA. I turns out that your Daniel Chittenden was my Mary Andrews grandfather!!!. so we are cousins!.
Roger will be pleased to hear from you as he has more info from that period, if you can get in touch with me through Rootschat Personal Folders I will forward Rogers contact details to you willingly.

Offline roipolloi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 22 April 13 14:33 BST (UK) »
I am finding it difficult to negotiate this system of getting feedback

can you simply put up trees or not
Arnold, Burville
Kent

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 23 April 13 09:28 BST (UK) »
so we are cousins!
How exciting!!

Roipolli, I am just going to send you a PM (Personal Message) with some help on how you can exchange personal details  :)

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RobertsD

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 11 July 15 01:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Lorayne, I have a fair amount of "Gorham" ancestry, my line is from #8 on your list-James and Mary, this line goes back to 1633 with a Thomas and Constance Barnes, all lived in Kent around that time.
There is a family of Gorhams who migrated to NSW in 1838 and a really great book called "On Gunnery Creek" author Desmond Gorham living in NSW (you can order a copy) I have the contacts if you need.
The origin of the Gorham name can be traced back to France and there is a murmer of fuzzy logic that the name goes back further to the Vikings!.
Please let me know how I can help further as I am still searching. ie a branch of Gorhams migrated to America and became silversmiths, they produced:The Davis Cup, The Americas Cup,Indy 500 Cup and Airforce One has Gorham silver tableware for the US President and staff.CJohn

Hi copper john

I'm desperately looking to track down a copy of 'On Gunnery Creek'.  My family got a copy at the reunion but it has since been lost during a move.  Your post is the closest I've come to tracking down a new copy.

Could you please forward me the contact details you mention in your post.  I'll be forever grateful.

Offline copper john

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 11 July 15 04:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Lorayne, happy to oblige you, here is the email address of Desmond Gorham the author of the very thorough Gorham Family book- On Gunnery Creek.
desandkaye@bigpond
I am sure Des will assist you in obtaining a copy of his book.
Cheers,
Copperjohn.

Offline Mark B

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 05 April 16 18:48 BST (UK) »
I am reaching out to Lorayne, as I just recently learned that the "Sarah" who married Thomas Barnard was Sarah Gorham, in 1777.  As a descendant of Thomas Barnard, I was/am very interested in reading the wills for Barnards/Gorham to learn more about both families, but the www.willtranscriptions.co.uk website where these were posted seems to be no longer.

Lorayne, are these transcriptions available anywhere else? I do have the will of Thomas Barnard (June 1804), but not fully transcribed. It appears Samuel/Elizabeth and Thomas/Sarah stayed close, and that Elizabeth was at the births of many of the children of Thomas/Sarah, based on records from St Martin-in-the-Fields, Westminster, London. 

Thanks in advance for any assistance you might provide for either the Barnard or Gorham ancestry prior to Thomas/Sarah and Samuel/Elizabeth.

Best, Mark

Offline Lorayne Mahoney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 01 June 17 12:34 BST (UK) »
Dear Mark
Did I reply to you regarding the Barnard Wills? The Will transcription site is no longer online, but I am happy to send you the transcribed wills via P.M.

Regards
Lorayne