Author Topic: gorham name  (Read 22498 times)

Offline copper john

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: gorham name
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 02:38 BST (UK) »
hi bearkat, many thanks for you're keeping an eye on what I'm doing, I have just emailed to East Sx records for the Gorham pedigree, be interesting on what comes back.
Th sx contact helping me omega 1, posted a query yesterday at 12:27:23, are you able to follow up please and check out via Kent records and advise.re the cold; it only lasts a short while here 6-8 weeks then it warms up again for 9 months so only having a whinge, as you do!.
cheers copper john

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 08:46 BST (UK) »
Finding a link between the GORHAM families may be quite a challenge,  The area between Fairlight and Ashford covers many parishes in 2 different counties.

Some records have been transcribed and are on-line but many aren't.

Rootschatters can post what they find but you may have to search many parish records, wills, monumental inscriptions etc to help sort out this family.

Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline copper john

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 09:47 BST (UK) »
Hi bearkat and omega, sorry gents, I wrongly advised that Thomas of Ewhurst had issue with Jane ?, perhaps not?,typed notes from elsewhere show that Thomas with wife (1) Jane then (2) Constance had 6 children with the only mention of whom begat whom as Constance who gave birth to Elizabeth whom the eldest son John then married, so I am not sure of the others and who was the mother but inclined to agree that they were from Constance, as Jane had a history of having stillborn children.
It's now getting very complicated and time for a nice red!!.
cheers copper john

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 10:00 BST (UK) »
Hi john

I`m an old gal :)

Bit early to join in a class or 2 of red :)

Will see if i can find anything else & have a Think

omega :)
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline copper john

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 11 July 11 09:06 BST (UK) »
hi omega, in an earlier reply on 05 july you gave the surname of Jane as Goreham ? was this her maiden name in the old script or a typo by you?, you also mention incest with a husbands line-can you please elaborate.
Will check on Thomas' will asap.
still cold and wet here,
copper john

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 11 July 11 09:21 BST (UK) »
Hi John

Jane Goreham was her married name.

Regarding the Incest.I SHOULD have said i found it in my Husbands line.Brother & Sister living together ( in a Tent,Travellers)on 1851 census with a son.By 1861 she is on her own & goodness knows where he went,still looking.She never married but had more children.

Sorry if i confused you.

Lovely & sunny here
omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline Roger Andrews

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 21 July 11 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Copper John

I have the Andrews family tree going back to 1580 and they all came from Kent and in particular Braebourne and Hinxshill. The Andrews and the Chittenden's intermarried a bit. I would be interested to know if you found out the parents of the Mary Andrews. The one I am looking at is Mary Andrews b. 12 May 1766 and the parents were Martha Chittenden and Thomas Andrews.
Regards
Roger Andrews
Sydney

Offline copper john

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 22 July 11 08:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger, I have a Mary Andrews born 1766 m my James Gorham 26/3/1786 Hinxhill had 2 children James and Hester. James sen died 26/6/1791 aged 24.
Mary remarried a James Chittenden and died at 72 yrs 28/2/1838 had a son Edward Albert Chittenden who died 10/3/1822 22yrs, it's probable Mary had more children but I have not checked.
Most of this info is from Bearkat on previous chats to me, there are will sites in Kent also church sites that may help, I can forward if you want as they are on this site 29/6/11.
I have no info on any of the mothers line only the fathers which is tough enough but will pass on info if I uncover any, good luck cobber!
Regards
copper John Perth WA

Offline copper john

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 25 July 11 07:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger, more on Mary Andrews & parents, a headstone in the St Mary Church Hinxhill reads:
a "skull and crossed bones engraved in centre top. a spade & pickaxe are engraved on either side at the top".
in memory of Thomas Andrews who died 18/1/1773 aged 72 yrs also Martha wife of the above died 9/9/1789 aged 62yrs left issue one son & two daughters viz: Chittenden, Martha and Mary.
Thomas and Martha may well be Mary's parents as the dates fit. On my ancestral line James Gorham who married Mary Andrews, Jame's parents were also named James and Mary, it's not easy Roger!.Hope this helps you, '.
Cheers copper John