Author Topic: ? Look Ups- COCHRAN, Tandragee  (Read 3457 times)

Offline Heppy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
? Look Ups- COCHRAN, Tandragee
« on: Tuesday 28 June 11 13:46 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone in TANDRAGEE could look up in perhaps a cemetery my Great Great Grandfather HUGH HALL COCHRAN, his burial. and what there might be about him.

He was born 1805. and married to MARGARET (nee BELSHAW) who was born
 ? 1812 and died ? 1890

He died 1879 he was a Watchmaker in Lurgan  and later in PORTADOWN.

I hope someone would be kind enough who lives in that area would be able to find something for me, as I have tried for a lond time but got nowhere

Regards

Heppy

PS Could anyone tell me the names of any cemeteries in TANDRAGEE that if noone is able to find HUGH HALL COCHRAN'S  grave, I might be able to contact the cemetery directely .Thanks Heppy
ANGUS, CASHELL, COCHRAN, COLLIER, DEACON, GODDEN, GRAHAM, MORRISON, TAIT, TACKABERRY, TRICKETT

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ? Look Ups- COCHRAN, Tandragee
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 21:12 BST (UK) »
John Belshaw baptized a series of children John 1804, Isabella 1806, and Ann 1808 at Lurgan First Presbyterian Church.  I would assume Margaret was born earlier as the records begin about 1804 after a break.  This is probably Margaret's father and Hugh probably was married at this church. 

I am saying this as Hugh's son Matthew was baptized there after his birth Jan 6, 1842.  He appears to be the only Cochrane bartized there. It was customary for a bride to be married in her church and the first born baptized there.  Is Matthew the first born?  Unfortunately the marriage tape begins in 1845, but there may be earlier marriage records available and possibly they give parents names.  Many earlier marriage records do not. 

FYI  There is also 1 other Bradshaw, Elizabeth Belshaw m. Andrew Blakely and had Ruth baptized in 1839. 

Offline Heppy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 09:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Kat,
Thank you very much for your message about the BELSHAW's. I assume JOHN BELSHAW was a Minister, of the Church. I have tried Googling him but can't find anything about him, I have also looked for him in Pilot FamilySearch but nothing there.

By the way which church are you referring to when you mention that JOHN BELSHAW baptised children there, so I could contact that particular church to see if they know anything about HUGH HALL COCHRAN and his parents.

Your message is very helpful, thank youso much. If you do come across anything else please email me on (*)   Thanks again,

Heppy

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

ANGUS, CASHELL, COCHRAN, COLLIER, DEACON, GODDEN, GRAHAM, MORRISON, TAIT, TACKABERRY, TRICKETT

Offline Prvanov

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 March 17 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
I am looking for any information on a Richard Belshaw born ~1770 Shan(k)hill, near Lurgan. This information came from his army discharge records in 1809. Its also stated he was a weaver. On discharge he moved to London, England, married and had a family, from whom I am descended. Thereafter his surname has been spelt Bellshaw. It is our understanding that his forbearers were French Huguenot refugees. 
I would appreciate any help please.
Kind regards
Jocelyn