Author Topic: BAILEY family, Dawley.  (Read 10852 times)

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ironbridge from the bridge
    • View Profile
Re: BAILEY family, Dawley.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 July 11 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

I quite agree, as does Ironbbridge etc. But my generalisation refers mainly to searches in my experience, as you are probably aware there is very little transcribed info for that those areas. Some of my relatives were born in Ironbridge for example, but the entries on some documents are headed with the parish of Madeley, though I'm sure there will be exceptions.

Geoff

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 July 11 04:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

Hope I'm not getting bogged down here...

I have found a George Bailey b 1776 abt and a Jane b 1780 abt with the following offspring:

Thomas b Aug 1802
Ann Mar b 1807
Mary b 1808
William b 1810
Zella b 1812

They are all born in Dawley including parents and are (IGI) submitted records only.

I'm wondering if there are any other surnames in Dawley!!!

I checked out Zella because of the name, I found a Priscilla Zella Martin, nee Bailey m 1833 abt (submitted info only) to Thomas Martin, though the 1851 census shows them with 9 children. They are on all other censuses up to 1881, 1861 being interesting reading. Phew, some family, hope it's correct!

Unfortunately there are too many issues associated with Sophia Bailey without more info.

Geoff

Offline Tea Time

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 July 11 16:57 BST (UK) »
Once again horse000, thanks for your efforts. The Jane that married George is probably a Jane Dawley, although I need to confirm this to be sure.

Referring to an earlier post, one of the big problems that I have is the geography of the area. I've only ever spent two nights in Shropshire in my entire life! For me, Dawley, Madely etc are one and the same. It would be nice if someone could explain the area in a way that I could understand.

On the same tack, one other thing. I'm under the impression that county borders were changed somewhere around the mid-1800's. Would these have affected the area in any way?

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 July 11 17:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've never actually been there myself as my roots are in Hull, though my ancestors are from the Dawley, Ironbridge and Madeley areas, I use a map for my use and I've put a link on my site. Hit the little sphere on the left of this post and then hit maps when you get there.

Geoff

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 July 11 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

There may be a case for Jane Powell b abt 1779/80 submitted (IGI).

The 1861 census shows a large number of Powell's and Martin's and close neighbours Bailey...

I may just watch this thread now, there is probably enough info to get selected certificates.

Geoff

Offline hillwalkersue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hillwalkersue
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 18 July 11 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi, just had a thought - if they were in the Old park area of Dawley, try the registers of St Leonards Church, Malinslee.
 I once researched for a friend the Baughs in that area and they were largely at St Leonards.

Sue
Chetwood, Beard, Hornblower, Gwynn, Follows, Stilgo, Shenton, Stride, Gorton, Frodsham, Harrison,  Seagrief

Offline martin mosley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 19 July 12 15:58 BST (UK) »
My 3x G Grandmother was Susannah Bailey who married Richard Pugh in Dawley 1830. The 1851 Census suggests her birth in Dawley around 1803.

Does she connect to any of the above or does anyone have her baptism?
Mosley; Pugh; Thorpe; Webster; Hill; Ibberson; Nicholson; Moody; Maxfield; Newbold; Lee; Adams; Walker; Tesh; Barnes; Brittlebank; Cowlishaw; Smethurst; Alsibrook

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 19 July 12 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin,

The short answer is - I have no idea!  Sorry!  This branch of the family still have me very confused even after a visit to Shrewsbury and time spent trawling through the registers.

What I do know though is that my Sophia Bailey was mother of William Hayward, the half brother of my 2xG Grandfather Richard Hayward.  Richard's mother was Mary Anne Evans.  Mary Anne appears to have died in 1838 - I found her as witness to marriages in the years prior to her death.  I cannot find a record of marriage between William Hayward (senior) and Sophia Bailey but I have William's birth certificate (1846) and it shows Sophia as mother - she also appears on the 1841 census as wife of William and apparent mother to his other children which she couldn't have been.

As others have said the Baileys were numerous in this area and your Sophia may well be related - I wish you luck in tracking her down!

Liz  :o
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Offline sharmar

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandad Woodvine
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 20 July 12 16:04 BST (UK) »
I have a Sarah Ann Bailey (b 1854 in Dawley d aft 1881) marrying in 1873 to my gr gr uncle John Woodvine b1850.  She was the daughter of John Bailey b 1819 in Dawley and Eliza ?.  John's father was Benjamin Bailey b abt 1790 also of Dawley marrying Ann Deakin in 1812, I have other details if there is a connect to your Bailey's.
Harris(Madeley), Harris(Ironbridge) Woodvine (Dawley & anywhere else), Britton (Broseley), Hoof (Wombridge, Dawley, Shifnal), Perry (Dawley & Wellington, Deakin (Wellington), Humphries (Wombridge & Dawley), Underwood (Hinkshay) Davies (Grinshall area), Buckley (Madeley) Hamphlett (various spellings Madeley).