Author Topic: Timothy & Margaret Evans  (Read 7618 times)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Timothy & Margaret Evans
« on: Tuesday 28 June 11 20:31 BST (UK) »
Timothy Evans and Margaret Evans who I believe to be my great-great grandparents are listed on freebmd Marriages Sep 1854   Aberystwyth  11b 115.  I wonder could someone please do a look-up on the 1861 census for this couple.   

Regards Roy
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Timothy & Margaret Evans
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 20:42 BST (UK) »
Theres only 1 Timothy Evans showing in Aberystwyth 1861 and hes only 19 so he would have been a bit young in 1854 to marry.Do you have any ages for Timothy or Margaret
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 06:50 BST (UK) »
Sorry I know this is lacking details. This request regarding Timothy & Margaret Evans as come about due to results whilst searching for details on my great grandmother namely Jane Evans.  According to her gravestone Jane died 2 Sept 1945 aged 82; this calculated a d.o.b. 1863.  I have located Jane on the 1911, 1901 and 1891 census returns and her age is consistent of being born in Llanrhystud, Cardiganshire in 1863.  On her marriage certificate dated 15 Aug 1884, Jane’s age is given as 21, again consistent as being born 1863.  Her father’s name is listed as Thomas Evans, mariner, deceased

An enquiry made with Ceredigion Archives revealed a baptism entry in the Llanrhystud parish records of:  26 July 1865, Jane daughter of Timothy and Margaret Evans, Blaenperris, mariner.  I was hoping that to have a daughter baptised in 1865 this couple could have been married prior to 1861.  Clutching at straws I know but this is a big brick in my wall.
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 11:45 BST (UK) »
Cant see a Margaret in Cardiganshire Aberystwyth who fits and believe me there are a lot of them in 1861,No Timothy and cant find any of them in 1871.Am handicapped by the place names as I dont know the area at all.
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 12:30 BST (UK) »
okay, thanks for trying; I do appreciate it is difficult when you don't know the area; I will go back to the records office and see if there can find Jane's birth certificate.
Roy

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 16:21 BST (UK) »
this looks like the family.

1861 Rhiwbwys, Llanrhystyd Haminiog RG9/4194 folio 59 pg 2
Margaret Evans wife mar 28 sailor's wife
Evan Thomas Evans son 6
Isaac Jenkins Evans son 5
John James Evans son 2
all born Llanrhystyd

1871 Blaenperis, Llanrhystyd RG10/5560 folio 27 pg 4
Margaret Evans head mar 39 farmer's wife of 40 acres
John J son 13 son 
Elizabeth dau 8
Jane dau 6
David D son 2
all born Llanrhystyd

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 17:32 BST (UK) »
extracted IGI batch C081571 for Llanrhystyd has baptisms to Timothy & Margaret Evans for

Evan Thomas bp 18/11/1854
Isaac Jenkin bp 29/2/1856
John James bp 21/5/1858
Elizabeth bp 18/6/1863
David bp 19/6/1868
as well as one you already have for Jane

Same batch
Timothy Evans bp 3/2/1830 son of Evan Evans & Elizabeth

not that I can find Timothy later & he's not on here

http://www.welshmariners.org.uk/index.php

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Osprey
Thank you kind lady, it would seem you are fully employed working on my family members and I truly appreciate your help.  Oh how I would gladly accept this family to be mine……but is it?  Could this really be the same family; the husband of Margaret is missing on both censuses, she is a sailor’s wife in 61 and a farmer’s wife in 71.  Could he be a farmer and a sailor?   

My great grandmother namely Jane Edwards nee Evans is one great big brick wall I am desperately trying to knock down.  On her marriage certificate dated 1884, Jane is 21 and her father is Thomas Evans, mariner, deceased.  If only I could find her father documented so I have one hundred percent proof that the family in 61 and or 71 are mine.   

I also checked through the Welsh mariners database for both Timothy and for Thomas but nothing jumps out.  Is this going to be one of those I can never progress..........I really could scream, what with my desk top playing up I wonder why I ever got involved with family history

Roy

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 18:46 BST (UK) »
I'd be pretty sure that the family in 1871 is the one belonging to the baptism of Jane in 1865. Same address on both. The 1861 & 1871 families are the same I would say because of John J on both of them. There aren't many Jane Evanses of around the right age in Llanrhystyd, 2 with father called Jenkin, one with father Evan, no more with father Thomas or Timothy.

:-\