Author Topic: Need help re. an address in Aldershot  (Read 5284 times)

Offline ncmtgal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Need help re. an address in Aldershot
« on: Tuesday 28 June 11 20:55 BST (UK) »
Hello,

A great uncle of my husband, a David Clark, died in 1967.  His residence at the time was Waterloo Road.  His death record states that the informant was M. Jones (unaware who that person was) "causing the body to be buried at 30 Holly Road, Aldershot".  Was that address that of a cemetery in 1967?  If not, would David Clark, have been buried in someone's back yard?  Does anyone have any ideas about why he would not be buried in a local cemetery? 

Thank you for any assistance.  I live in the US and am not familiar with Aldershot at all.

Anne

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
Re: Need help re. an address in Aldershot
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 21:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne

From google maps it looks like a residential road now and the houses don't look particularly new - so I suspect it might not have been an 'official' burial ground in 1967!

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ncmtgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 21:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda,

Thank you for your interest!  It seems rather strange that someone would be buried at what appears to be a residential address and not at a nearby cemetery.  The reason I am especially interested is because other Clark family members (namely gr. grandparents) lived at various Holly Road addresses, the last known one being 251 Holly Road in 1920.  I don't know where they are buried, as yet, so I am wondering if they too might be buried at 30 Holly Road.  Could it have been a vacant lot before homes were constructed? 

Were there health regulations in Aldershot re. where a deceased person could be buried?

I appreciate your input and that of others very much.  Sincerely, Anne

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne

I've been looking up and down Holly Road on Google Streetview but couldn't find no. 30, there seems to be a gap in the numbering on the even side of the road.  I then had a look at the Royal Mail Postcode Finder website and the properties listed on the even side jump from 18 to 42.  In the gap is now a road called Staff Road which seems to be on the land where numbers 20-40 would have stood.  Holly Road seems to be mainly 1930s style houses and the dwellings on Staff Road are very different - pre-fabricated two storey flats by the look of them. 

Hopefully someone with local knowledge will be along shortly and can tell you more  :)

Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline ncmtgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 22:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Heather.  If any person familiar with local history could assist with this mystery, it would be wonderful!     :)

Offline EwshotLad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 03:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

If you go to an old map at  http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html and put Holly Road Aldershot into the search you will get a list of houses in Holly Road but there is no number 30. Select #31 and you will see that on the corner of Holly Road and Redan Road there is a cemetery behind the houses of both roads.

I used to live in Aldershot in the 1960s

Vic Wise
Brisbane Australia

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 08:25 BST (UK) »
Oops  :-[  I'd been concentrating so much on the side of Holly Road that's now evenly numbered that I totally missed the huge cemetery that backs on to the other side  :o

Seems odd though that the address should be given as Holly Road at all as the main entrance to the cemetery is in Redan Road and it is now known as Redan Road cemetery.

Here's a link to the relevant council http://www.rushmoor.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=9640   There are contact details on the right hand side of that page, might be worth sending them an email Anne  :)

Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 11:24 BST (UK) »
If you are getting your information from the death certificate I think you have probably misread it,  are you sure it says  "at"? I suspect Holly Road was the address of the informant, place of burial is not shown on a death certificate.

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline ncmtgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hmm.... the death record reads as follows:  (Under signature, description and residence of informant)

M. Jones
Causing the body to be buried
30 Holly Road
Aldershot

It does not include the word "at" so perhaps I may have misinterpreted the death record.  But it is confusing, to say the least.  Would M. Jones have authorized the burial?  Perhaps, that is what is indicated. 

Thanks again for all assistance.   :-)  Anne