Author Topic: COSSART/WALKER family from Antrim or Derry?  (Read 6659 times)

Offline k8lsk8ls

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: COSSART/WALKER family from Antrim or Derry?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 23:54 BST (UK) »
Hello
I am a descendent of William Cossart and am travelling to Ireland shortly.  I was just looking on the internet and found this link which traces the family back to France.
Hope it is helpful
K

https://www.theycametheystayed.com/ui13.htm#a706

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 September 18 08:29 BST (UK) »
Hi K8etc, Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your visit. thank you for sharing an aweinspiring tree.  Do you need suggestions for your trip to Gracehill? is it the sole purpose of your visit?
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline k8lsk8ls

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 September 18 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hello
I would love some tips for visiting Gracehill.  I am travelling with my partner whose descendants are from New Ross, Co Clare.  We should be passing through Gracehill sometime during the week of the 15th of October.  Any suggestions would be wonderful
Thank you so much
K

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 September 18 08:58 BST (UK) »
Hi K, ,my geopraphy is hazy, Your reference to New Ross Co Clare foxed me. The Ross in Co Clare appears to be the Bridges of Ross, There is  New Ross Co Wexford,  the Ross in Co Clare appears to be the Bridges of Ross. 255km apart.both are worth visiting!
Before you go to Gracehill
1. Gracehill has had a very active committee.  8 years ago Roberta Thompson is a well known member and historian made a video with ‘Drennan’which is online as ‘A Dander with Drennan . Worth downloading  see http://www.gracehillvillage.org/category/gracehill-village/ you could write to the the church asking for contact with Roberta and arrange a meeting re your Cossart line. She would be able to direct you in their graveyard to the three Cossart graves listed by ancestryitreland. com whose hdqs are the Ulster Historical Foundation in Belfast.

2. Useing maps- learn a bit about the local geography Irelands civil parishes and townlands, the reason many records are indexed under those headings . Gracehill is in Ballykennedy townland, whish is part of Ahoghill civil parish, however don’t get confused with the neighbouring southern civil parish of Killead where 18 miles southwards is another townland named Ballykennedy .  I haven’t found the moravians first home in a place called Glooen [ which I presumed was in the townland but didn’t find.  There are excellent historical maps available online from from Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) Belfast.see https://apps.spatialni.gov.uk/EduSocial/PRONIApplication/index.html. first  agree to their copyright terms [ie you wont use other than for your private use. then type in BALLYKENNEDY (Ahoghill)  in the top left hand box then above that are some icons to the rhs,, choose the one that looks like sandwich Search for gracehil open any of the drop down headings that haveOSNI to start, you will see you 5 different maps of the area at different past historicall grow points.

3.  you could be prepared to buy, borrow, photocopy books eg
Gracehill Moravian Church The 1798 Rebellion as recorded in the diaries of Gracehill Moravian Church.
 (Antrim, Northern Ireland: county)
Newtownabbey : Moravian History Magazine, 1998.
White, Rosalie A history of Gracehill Moravian settlement.[S.I. : s.n.], 1997.
Gracehill Village : conservation area. Great Britain. Department of the Environment for Northern Ireland.
Belfast : D.O.E. (N.I.), 1984. its an oversize
Ingham, Richard. A History of Gracehill  Ingham, Richard. [S.l.] : [S.n.] / 1977.
Girvan, D.and R. Oram, A. Rowan List of historic buildings, groups of buildings, areas of architectural importance in Antrim and Ballymena : Muckamore, Galgorm, Randalstown, Gracehill, Ahoghill, Broughshane, Kells, Connor, and Mossley Belfast : Ulster Architectural Heritage Society, [1969]
McCaughren, Tom. In search of the liberty tree Dublin : Anvil Books, 1994.
written for teenagers, this well-researched novel by the award-winning children's author about the 1798 Rising can be enjoyed by adults as well. When the United Irishmen marched into Ballymena in June, 1798, conflict was inevitable. The divided loyalties of the people were symbolized by two imposing figures -- a local schoolmaster, fanatical in his opposition to t ...more etc relevance to your trip unknown
All these books are probably available in Gracehill or in  the Ballymena Library Hgs nearby or the Linenhall Library belfast

other places in northern Ireland ask the tourist board, my suggestions
leisurely coast road drive Belfast/ or Larne  to the giants causeway on a nice day
Belfast or Derry drive or take a taxi uo the newtownards road , shankill road, falls road to view gable end art etc brings home the past underlying divisions Protestant Catholic.
The linenhall library has a special collection re Political recent events see their relvant publicationsand an excellent collection of books relating to ireland.
The Presbyterian historical society library Belfast
Titanic centre Belfast
The Crown pub Belfast
Armagh two cathedrals Church of Ireland and Roman Catholic
Dublin
have an enjoyable and memorable time
ps Hoping to find if the Wallers had a background, I tried the record  the Tithes Applotment Books 1823-1837 based upon the index work of the Irish Genealogy Hub’s listing for each parish in Northern Ireland, The relevant original books are in the
Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) Belfast the record is a simple one liner that doesn’t help genealogically except it locates a surname. It was a biased and incomplete record.
Wallar, Mrs. I.-Townland : Ballykenedy Year: 1825-Portglenone-Antrim
Waller, John-Townland: Ballycraigy Year: 1825-Ballyclug-Antrim
Waller, Mrs. S.-Townland : Ballykenedy Year: 1825-Portglenone-Antrim
in Griffiths valuation 25 years later, no Wellar, plenty of Wallars in Ireland the nearest two one in Co Fermanagh, the other Tyrone.
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline k8lsk8ls

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 27 September 18 17:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for all that information ... very much appreciated ... thanks again ... kx