Author Topic: Birth and death of John Elrick  (Read 8408 times)

Offline rebareba15

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth and death of John Elrick
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 June 11 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon:

Thank you.  John Elric date of 1823 sounds right.  Would they have mispelled his name or maybe he changed it?  Could that be possible?  I wonder.

Susan

Offline rebareba15

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 June 11 20:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon:  I just found the death certificate of John Elrick.  He died January 19, 1890 in St Nicholas, Aberdeen.  His father was John Elrick and his mother was Margaret Booth. They were never married.   She was married to a Robert Duncan and a L.  Stewart.  I have confirmed that this was the right John Elrick  because the death certificate says he was married to Mary Robertson. 

Thank you for your help.  Now just to find John's father John Elrick's info and his mother Margaret Booth
Susan

Offline rebareba15

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 July 11 10:45 BST (UK) »
oops!  Margaret Booth was married only to Robert Duncan who was a Land Steward. (Not also married to a L. Stewart as previously mentioned)

Susan

Offline elricks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 June 15 03:29 BST (UK) »
I have the following -

From igi John ELRIC was Chr 4th April 1823 in New Machar, parents John ELRIC and Margaret BOOTH.
Indexing Project (Batch) Number:     C11227-5
System Origin:     Scotland-ODM
GS Film number:     993349
Reference ID:

The death certificate of this man has this info - 19th Jan 1890, 19:00 hours. He was 67, and was the husband of Mary ROBERTSON, and he was illegitimate. John carried the name of his reputed father, who was named in the death certificate as John ELRICK, auctioneer deceased. His mother was Margaret BOOTH who later married Robert DUNCAN a land steward who had also died prior to 1890. His daughter Margaret was present at his death, which was of heart disease (Aged 66 years, 9 months and 25 days, worked back from recorded birth date).

I believe the 'reputed father' to be John ELRICK, and auctioneer who went on to marry Janet LYON in 1831 in Kinellar, Aberdeen.

SHIRLEY ELRICK (if you search Google for me or either man you will find my web site which has the above details

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 01 June 15 08:47 BST (UK) »
From igi John ELRIC was Chr 4th April 1823 in New Machar, parents John ELRIC and Margaret BOOTH.
Indexing Project (Batch) Number:     C11227-5

The IGI is exactly what it says - an Index. Have you looked at the original document at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk to see what other information it contains?

Also, there could well be some more information about this in the minutes of the Newmachar Kirk Session, if they have survived. I believe the original will be in Aberdeenshire Archives, but you (or someone looking on your behalf) would be able to view it in digital form there, or in the National Archives in Edinburgh, the Mitchell Library in Glasgow, Highland Genealogy Centre in Inverness and possibly some other archives in Scotland.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 01 June 15 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi elricks,

I am very sorry but sadly Susan's emails are no longer working and your reply has just bounced back to us. I have tried to find an alternative way of contacting Susan but sadly only her email listed on a spam list.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk