Author Topic: Birth & Marriage in St. Helena  (Read 7838 times)

Offline DelvaP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth & Marriage in St. Helena
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 June 11 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Osprey
Not the same query, but could you look up JAMES WARD for me? he was stationed at the Cape from 1806-1819 and opted to stay.
Delva Pelser
Bloemfontein
South Africa
Palmer(Hampshire) Norman (Dorset) Jones (Wales) Howgego (Essex) Rhodes(Yorkshire) McLuckie (Stirling, Scotland) Ward (Ireland)

Offline isk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 June 11 11:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for the responses.  Fifer1947 there are census records from 1841 to 1881 and birth and marriage information from both the OPR and Civil Certificates.  Believe me this has been a long and time consuming search because of the many different spellings of the name.  osprey I have found his WW1 Military records in Australia but will certainly have a look at 'find my past'.  Thanks again.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 July 11 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi DelvaP,

you can access www.findmypast.co.uk by paying for credits. It has the military records of Chelsea Pensioners. You'll need an approx birth date as there are several James Wards. I don't have any Cape records, just that the record for Louis Dinnervell mentioned his being in the Cape.

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Danchaslyn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 August 11 22:25 BST (UK) »

Hi Isk

I to have several family members either born, married or emigrated to the Island of St Helena, usually from Scotland, then, (usually) either back to Scotland, or to South Africa, and in a couple of cases, to America.

The Archive Section at the Museum in Jamestown (St Helena),  have brilliant researchers who would be willing to help you for a small fee.  (Google the Museum for contacts).

Cheers
Danchaslyn
 :)
MOE,   Norway, Swaziland, and Zululand, South Africa
JORGENSON, Hole, Ringerike, Buskurud, Norway
AITKEN,  Scotland, England, India, Island of St Helena, South Africa
LOBB,  India and London
WALSH,  India and England
SHORT,  Yorkshire, England, Island of St Helena
BATEMAN,  Island of St Helena, U.S.A.
YUILL,  U.S.A.
FIRTH,  Yorkshire, Engand
LIPTROT, various counties of England
SMITH,  various counties of England
LYNCH,  Yorkshire, England, Rhodesia and South Africa

Offline Keithbd

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Dinnerville family in Australia
« Reply #13 on: Friday 09 March 12 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Isk,
Not sure why you are researching the Dinnerville name, however, I am a great grandson to Lawrance Robert Dinnerville who immigrated to Oz from Scotland via St. Helena. My grandfather was Leonard Dinnerville the youngest son of Lawrence(Bob) and Sarah, whom I have an early photo. My father was Keith(Roy), the eldest son of Leonard(Len) and Emma(Cis). Lawrence and Sarah had four children, Lawrence, Charles, Beth, and Leonard(sometimes spelt Lennard). The three 'boys' all served and survived in the Great War.
I was told that the Family Bible, which came out with Lawrence in about 1873, is in the Archives of the Mitchell Library in Sydney and has various family name spellings as well as some 'blanks' for the name of some brides!
Lawrence and Sarah lived in both Strathfield and Homebush, suburbs of Sydney and Lawrence was one of the local Constabulary, and affectionate called 'Scotch Bob'.
Lawrence's brother, Robert, immigrated to the USA from Scotland in about 1870. There are many 'dinnerville' in the USA and I have meet a few cousins and an Uncle Robert who cruised into Sydney back in 1972 and introduced himself, and wife, to my father and filled-in some interesting details about the 'US Connection'.
As a note, I was told by my Grandmother (Cis) that the dinnerville name was originally the French name Den(n)eville, who were vignerons in Normady region and escaped the guillotine to Scotland in about 1790. The surname was said to be bastardised to escape the French who had spies out looking for those who fled France during the 'purge' by Louis XIV.
Dinnervilles in Scotland in 18th and 19th Century were also associated with Scotch Wiskey production, and a brother also had a laundry business in London.
In my research and being told by relatives, that names, both christian and surname was often mispelt because of either poor spelling or writting skills. I have seen this in many examples of records and letters.
Hope some of this helps your research.
Cheers, Keith B L Dinnerville

Offline isk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 11 March 12 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Keith,

My conection to the Dinnerville family comes through Jean or Jane Dinnavall (one of many sundry spellings) who married my 2x great grandfather, James Reynolds, in the Parish of St. Cuthbert's in Edinburgh on 10th August, 1840.  She was the widow of Joseph Brannan or Brennan and according to both the notice of her Marriage and her Death Certificate on 21st October, 1866, her father's name was William, her mother's name Jane but no surname appears on the Certificate.
At the time of the 1861 census in Scotland 2 boys, James and Laurance, were living with the James & Jane Reynolds with the relationship appearing as grandsons.  This is obviously incorrect and I  think they may have been nephews or great-nephews.  My cousin and I have enjoyed trying to untangle the strings of this name.
No indication so far in the Scottish records of any connection to the whisky industry.
I am delighted to have contact with you and I am thrilled to know that a Family Bible has survived, even on the other side of the world.
If you are interested in any further info from the Scottish records, let me know.

Maureen Walker :) :)