Author Topic: Owen Family, Amlwch  (Read 7184 times)

Offline DJTHMS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Owen Family, Amlwch
« on: Thursday 30 June 11 02:45 BST (UK) »
In the 1891 Amlwch Census, my GGGrandparents, Hugh Owen b.1832 and Jane Owen b. 1832 were listed as farmers. Their address was listed as Hafodonen. I would like to find out if this was a farm? Is it still a farm? Anyone have any information?

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Owen Family, Amlwch
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 June 11 04:32 BST (UK) »
Hello

Welcome to Rootschat :)

There are some photographs that mention Hafod Onnen on the Geograph website.  It looks like it is still a working farm.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=22713033

Heather

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DJTHMS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 June 11 12:33 BST (UK) »
That's great Heather. Thank you so much. I live in the USA but was born in South Wales. When my children were young we used to camp in Anglesey but didn't realize that my family came from there until recently.
Thank you once again.

Offline ioan20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 July 16 22:09 BST (UK) »
The HUgh and Mary Owens that you refer to were my GG grandparents , they moved from Hafodonnen to Ysgellg Farm,Amlwch later.

Offline DJTHMS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 August 16 21:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that information. According to the 1881 census, Hugh and Jane lived at Hafodwen, Amlwch with their 3 children, John, Morris and Elizabeth. In the 1891 census, they are shown as living at Hafodonen. Morris, my G.Grandfather in the same census is shown as living at 65 Bethesda St. Amlwch with his family. His employment was listed as Copper Miner. I wonder when it was that Hugh and Jane moved to Ysgelig Farm?

Offline ioan20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 August 16 23:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the info. I am incorrect in saying that the Hugh Owen thatvyou refere to is my GG Grandfather- I believe that he is the son of Hugh And Mary Owens who lived at Maes Mawr, Llanfechell, then at Ysgellog Amlwch. Your Hugh was my Grandmother Frances, brother. I have him in my records as born 1832 and died in 1900.1861 census shows the persons living at Hafodonnen, which incidentally is opposite to Ysgellog, as being : Deborah Griffiths aged 58 Head, born Flint,
Hugh Owen aged 27 Son in law, druggist, Jane Annwyl daughter, Joyn Solomon aged 4 grandson, and Morris G aged 2 grandson. Does this make sense to you? I remember my father who would be 116 now mentioning a Hugh Owen who was a druggist.
I have notes about Hugh William Owen buried Ebenezer Cemetry, Llanfechell with the following written on his grave stone- Hugh William Owen, Bryn Arthur, (Hafod Onnen gynt) late of Hafod Onnen April 1900
John Solomon, son of aforesaid and Sarah Owen his wife and Lizzie their daughtter.
Hugh Married Jane Annwyl Hugh died 1900 aged 75 and Jane died  12/06/1913 qged 80
Their children were John Solomon died 26/09/1946 aged 89 and is buried next to his father's grave.Morris and Elizabeth.
Elizabeth married William Davies and lived at Bryn Arthur, Bull Bay , AmlwxhElizabeth died 18/08/1945 aged 82
Trade Directory dated 1856 shows Hugh William Owen as Chemist and Druggist , Methusalem Street, AmlwchDoes any of this make sense to you?
I am arranging a reunion of the Hugh Owens family in September when members of the family of another brother who emigrated to America app 150 years ago will be coming to Anglesey.

Offline DJTHMS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 12:01 BST (UK) »
Wow! You are correct. Hugh was the son of Hugh and Mary Owen of Llanfechell. You have just filled in a few blanks for me. . We are in a different time zone so I am just starting the day. After I have digested you info I will get back to you. Diolch yn fawr iawn.

Offline ioan20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 12:15 BST (UK) »
We seem to be on the same track- I have quite a bit of info on the Owens family - would you like to correspond via email- I will leave my email address in a PM for you ro chose.
M

Offline GillyJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 21:27 BST (UK) »
Do you have any Sarah Owen (s) in your Owen family?