Author Topic: Captain John McNab (McNabb originally)  (Read 11353 times)

Offline Lisasuehelgi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Captain John McNab (McNabb originally)
« on: Thursday 30 June 11 04:27 BST (UK) »
Would someone be able to help me find my great great grand father Captain John McNab.  From what i understand he left Scotland to go to England where he left his marriage and moved to Canada with a Dora Day.  They had a son together John Adam McNab...........My understanding is that my great great grandfather changed his last name from a double bb to one b as there were two Captains with the same spelling and names........I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can help me find information, as i am trying to piece my family together for my Aunt who has no way of searching for herself.......i can also be contacted by email....(*).....thank you to anyone and all who can help. I look forward to hearing
from anyone!!!

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.
I am looking for the Mcnab/Day family in Liverpool?  My great  grand father was Adam John Mcnab and it looks like he was born 1898. His mothers name is Dora Day, who eventually moved to Vancouver, BC Canada or to Canada through the United States.  Any help or connections would be greatly appreciated!!

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Re: Captain John McNab (McNabb originally)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 June 11 07:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

I too, am of McNab(b) descendancy, but don't have any info which may be relevant to your Captain John McNab.  My "McNabs" were from Glasgow as from about 1860's, (having come across from Ireland, possibly Co. Tyrone).  We used to think that our McNabs were of the "Killin McNabs" - the original clan being from a lovely little town in Central Scotland called Killin, - but it turns out we are more Irish than Scottish.  I presume you will have some knowledge of the original McNab history?  And of the "McNabs" who a strong presence in your native Canada?
(by the way, we sort of believe that the McNabb with double B was more of an Irish version of the name, but many changed it to McNab after moving over to Scotland - often after the Irish Famine in mid 19th century)..??

Anyway - sorry, I can't offer much help - but wish you all the best in your research.
Maggs
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline Lisasuehelgi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 June 11 15:16 BST (UK) »
I will keep asking for more information over here....and researching.  i am heading to our BC museum where there is an apparent letter written from my great great grand father, or great grandfather.  Will let you know!
Cheers! lisa

The attached picture is my great grand father John Adam McNab.....
I am looking for the Mcnab/Day family in Liverpool?  My great  grand father was Adam John Mcnab and it looks like he was born 1898. His mothers name is Dora Day, who eventually moved to Vancouver, BC Canada or to Canada through the United States.  Any help or connections would be greatly appreciated!!

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 June 11 19:28 BST (UK) »
Just linking this to your other thread on this topic:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,522494.0.html#msg3774750

Offline Gali

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 June 11 21:39 BST (UK) »
So ... the other post mentions that his father was an Adam McNab and that John was born in Leith in c. 1844

LDS has an Adam McNab and a Janet McDonald marring in South Leith in Nov 1845, father's name David McDonald

Freecen 1851 has a Jannet McNab, Seaman's Wife with sons John, aged 6 and William, aged 1 living with her parents, David, a tailor, and Catherine (both born Caithness) and her brother John in South Leith ... no mention of Adam!

Offline Lisasuehelgi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 June 11 21:56 BST (UK) »
From what I am told, this man in the picture was born Adam John McNab and referred to as John.......Adam was a name given to distinguish between his father and himself.........again...i am at the mercy of aging memories.....unfortunately no one in my fathers family thought to write things down and are now coming to me and asking me to link the pieces together........

Very confusing as i have comprehension dyslexia.....and all these names and years and bdays become obstacles of me hahahahaha.....but i am determined to get this story right! .......... Thank you so much for you information!! I really do appreciate it!

Offline ajaj

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 December 15 12:36 GMT (UK) »
I do not have any information concerning Captain McNab, but I was just doing some research on a writing box that belonged to my maternal grandfather that had the following written inside in pencil:

"Captain McNab
to
M(or N)S Robbins
thru to
Geo O Burton
Nov 8 15"

My grandfather, Edward "Teddy" Morgan, lived in Neyland, Pembrokeshire, Wales, until his death ~1976.  I "googled" Captain McNab and up popped this post.

aj

Offline VictB

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Captain John McNabb b1732 Dollar Scotland d 1802 London, left a legacy of £60,000 (£10m in todays money) that eventually became Dollar Academy built in 1818.  His legacy sustained the education of the local poor for over a hundred years and the school still thrives today.  Was this the other Capt John McNabb that your gggg-f changed his name spelling because of?   I wonder if you have come across any other reference to him during your research.  All we know is he eventually became a wealthy ship owner.

Offline Lisasuehelgi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 October 16 18:34 BST (UK) »
Wow, since the passing of my grandfather in 2015, i stepped away from my searches, and now have come back to your response Vic!.  That is incredible information.......however, being i cannot seem to get anyone in my family on this side to tell me anything about my McNab family....i am at a loss.....Since my last entry here, i am now aware that the man in the picture is my great great grandfather John McNab, merchant mariner, ( I believe his parents may have been Robert and Jane) With his wife Dora Day, son Adam John, baby sister Dorthy, and his older daughter Margaret, (John McNab's daughter from a first, possibly second marriage.) all came to North America in the early 1900's youngest daughter Dorthy died at the age of 29 from an illness. Margaret passed away a few years later and I believe Captain John Mcnab shortly after her passing. .  Dora Day ( England)  and Captain John McNab were not married at the time of leaving England however did marry in Seattle, before coming to British Columbia.??  I have since been to the resting areas of Dorthy (married name Stevens) in Victoria BC, her sister Margaret, who is with her father in a Vancouver Cemetary, however have not been able to find where my great grandfather Adam John was buried(he remarried a woman name Susan after he and my great grandmother Evelyn Tranter separated. and they both lived and had worked in Victoria BC at the time of his death), nor his mother Dora. I also am told and believe Dora remarried after the passing of my great great grandfather.. As i was quite new to genealogy back in 2011, i can see how i must have been very confusing, however, information given to me was very mixed up. Apologies to those still shaking their heads!  :D  Thank you so much for you information Vic! i really appreciate any and all help with the mystery that is my family McNab........I am not even sure where Captain McNab was in Vancouver at the time of his death...... ::)