Author Topic: Captain John McNab (McNabb originally)  (Read 11333 times)

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Captain John McNab (McNabb originally)
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 20 October 16 18:27 BST (UK) »
Looks like the marriage of the parents may have been 10 November 1845 South Leith Midlothian - so were the parents married when John was born - perhaps that's why we not finding him.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Lisasuehelgi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 20 October 16 18:39 BST (UK) »
Thats a good possibilty.........just searched another site and no results....very frustrating... It is it possible my McNab family was off the grid?........or is there always something to be found?
I am looking for the Mcnab/Day family in Liverpool?  My great  grand father was Adam John Mcnab and it looks like he was born 1898. His mothers name is Dora Day, who eventually moved to Vancouver, BC Canada or to Canada through the United States.  Any help or connections would be greatly appreciated!!

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 20 October 16 19:04 BST (UK) »
What i cant understand is do death certificates start being recorded at a certain time in history?

Statutory recording of births, deaths and marriages became mandatory by law in Scotland in 1855.  Prior to that one had what are now called the Old Parish Records (OPRs).  Both the Statutory and surviving OPRs are available online at Scotlands People for a modest price.

Prior to 1855 there were no birth records, only the baptismal records kept by the kirks.  However, as many as one third of baptisms are estimated not to have been recorded in the Kirk records.  For example, one had to pay to be entered in the register so many baptisms are not there as the parents couldn't afford to pay the fee.  That doesn't mean the children weren't baptised, just that the baptism wasn't recorded. 

Same for marriages.  Furthermore, Scotland had a tradition of what the Kirk referred to as irregular marriages and those would not have been entered in the records.  There are relatively few deaths recorded in the OPRs.

If you don't find an OPR record for your ancestor, it doesn't mean that he wasn't born, married or died in a parish; just that there is no parish record of him in that parish.

Offline Lisasuehelgi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 20 October 16 19:11 BST (UK) »
Interesting i just read that in the Scots Genealogy Society...I had kinda figured.....The thought came up because what i found out during my research on my Icelandic family......In Iceland.....all the families are registered originally the same way, which is continued today with what i am only guessing along with the registrations done today....Making the finding of the family line actually easier.. However, finding interesting stories and historical memories is left to chatting amongst family and what is remembered.....or written down in family journals...
I am looking for the Mcnab/Day family in Liverpool?  My great  grand father was Adam John Mcnab and it looks like he was born 1898. His mothers name is Dora Day, who eventually moved to Vancouver, BC Canada or to Canada through the United States.  Any help or connections would be greatly appreciated!!

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 20 October 16 20:11 BST (UK) »
John McNab (widower)  marriage to Martha McGachan  (widow) -  13 February 1875

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Lisasuehelgi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 20 October 16 20:13 BST (UK) »
Cheers Sandra!!! What an awesome piece!! How do people find these things!!! THANK YOU!!! Gosh...I need someone to sit beside i thinkllll  Oh dear!

Offline Lisasuehelgi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 20 October 16 21:48 BST (UK) »
Do you think it is possible that Captain John McNab is related to the McNabs of Nova Scotia?  and also......who i cant find is brother William? few years younger......

Offline Lisasuehelgi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 01 November 16 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

I too, am of McNab(b) descendancy, but don't have any info which may be relevant to your Captain John McNab.  My "McNabs" were from Glasgow as from about 1860's, (having come across from Ireland, possibly Co. Tyrone).  We used to think that our McNabs were of the "Killin McNabs" - the original clan being from a lovely little town in Central Scotland called Killin, - but it turns out we are more Irish than Scottish.  I presume you will have some knowledge of the original McNab history?  And of the "McNabs" who a strong presence in your native Canada?
(by the way, we sort of believe that the McNabb with double B was more of an Irish version of the name, but many changed it to McNab after moving over to Scotland - often after the Irish Famine in mid 19th century)..??

Anyway - sorry, I can't offer much help - but wish you all the best in your research.
Maggs

If your still searching and have any more information since this was written i would be so appreciative,,,,,,i am loosing my hair trying to figure out how to find my ggg grandfather now Adam Mcnab.......He just seems to drop off after his two boys were very little, and then i get nothing.....no matter what i have read.  I think my search may have come to a complete stop, as i have read that many seafarer families didnt have registrations, or even wrote down births/marriages or deaths....uggg.....i cant even get my own father to send me a thought..oh dear!  :'(

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 02 November 16 10:09 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure if you have checked this one out, but there is an Adam MacNab born 1804, Edinburgh Leith South, to father Adam MacNab and mother Helen Murray on Scotlands People.  I've not looked at OPRs for that parish so don't know how detailed they are, but you may be lucky and get some useful details on parents such as occupation.