Author Topic: Rev David Davies  (Read 11257 times)

Offline jenfair

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rev David Davies
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 29 May 16 13:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Emyr,  thanks for this post. I never expected this thread to be picked up again after several years. Thank you for the information.

Hi
There is a lengthy report of his death in Y Goleuad 19/02/1887 (in Welsh). This can be accessed free online on 'Welsh Newspapers Online'.
He had said that he wanted to be buried at Llanaber Church Cemetery, Barmouth. He moved from Barmouth to Penrhyndeudraeth shortly before his death, and changed his mind - decided that he'd like to be buried at Nazareth Chapel Cemetery (CM), Penrhyndeudraeth. On the afternoon of the day of his death he had been to the Cemetery to choose a plot.
The monument inscription says that he was from Barmouth, formerly from Penmachno, died 09/02/1887, aged 71 yrs, CM preacher for 54 yrs. His wife Ellinor died 20/02/1893, aged 84 yrs. Info from transcription in GFHS publication M259.
After leaving Penmachno he was at Corwen, before moving on to Barmouth.
It seems that initially preaching was a part time job and that he also kept a shop and a farm, and was a forestry(?) steward.
Y Goleuad 26/02/1887 gives following info:
Born 1815, started preaching when he was about 18 yrs old, ordained 1849, name of farm 'Bennar'.
Emyr

Offline jenfair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 29 May 16 16:48 BST (UK) »
Further to Emyr's post, this document (from the North West Wales Dendrochronology project) reports on a survey of Bennar, the house in which David Davies lived in the mid 19th century. It also details its history and in the section on David Davies summarises the newspaper article cited by Emyr. It includes a transcription of the 1861 census (when he resided there)

http://www.coflein.gov.uk/pdf/DCP2013_086_01/

Offline Wynne1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 30 May 16 00:14 BST (UK) »
Hi ?Jen,
Thanks for the attachment, it's really interesting. My wife and I visited the house last month while we were in the UK. ( I've lived in Australia since 1988)
The owners were very friendly and showed us around. They have four holiday cottages, one of which is where David Davies was born
Regards
Wynne

Offline Wynne1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 30 May 16 09:08 BST (UK) »
Hi again Jen,
I meant to add in my last reply, in addition to developing my family tree I'm also trying to establish the line back to an earlier relative who's always been talked about as part of my direct line.
The relative is a person by the name of John Jones who was one of the signatories of Charles 1st death warrant. If you google "Jones Jones regicide" it will tell you a lot about him. My family has portraits etc about him but I haven't yet developed the links.  It occurred to me that John Jones may also be a relative of yours
Regards
Wynne