Author Topic: Rev David Davies  (Read 11253 times)

Offline jenfair

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rev David Davies
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 July 11 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you so much to everyone who has replied to my post so far, I am very grateful for your help and will certainly follow up the links etc given.

Jen  :) :)

Offline jenfair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 July 11 11:09 BST (UK) »
In addition to my earlier post, I don't unfortunately have access to the Gale Online database but if anyone does I would be grateful for any info available.

Thanks again

Jen

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 02 July 11 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Jen

Unfortunately I'm overseas and do not have access to the Gale newspapers either.

David Davies will was proved May 20, 1887 by daughter Laura Lloyd (wife of Owen Lloyd) at Corwen.
Described as Calvinistic Methodist Minister, formerly of Bank House Barmouth late of Llysifor, he died at Llysifor Merioneth Feb 9, 1887. 

Heather
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 02 July 11 18:57 BST (UK) »

For those who have access to the Gale online database of British 19th Century Newspapers,  the family mourners list published in accounts of DD's funeral on 12 Feb. 1887 could prove interesting.  Y Genedl Cymreig  seems to have been chiefly interested in the immense list of CM ministers who turned out;  the family themselves were given fuller coverage in Y Goleuad's account,  which appeared in its edition of Sat. 19 Feb. 1887.  Seven children are mentioned as attending (three sons and four married [and so unforenamed] daughters with their respective husbands),  plus eight grandchildren ...

I was rather pressed for time when I wrote that message,  so I did not transcribe the names;  but because not everyone has easy access to the Gale newspapers (and I was the one who started that hare running),  I think that it would be a kindness if I now put my omission right.  Here they are,  in the order printed but with my formatting:

Children:

--  Mr and Mrs Lloyd,  Corwen
  --  Revd. Thomas and Mrs Gray,  Manchester
  --  Revd. W. and Mrs Jones,  Liverpool
  --  Mr and Mrs Edward Ellis,  Huyton Quarry
  --  Mr Robert Thomas,
  --  Mr Richard Thomas,  and
  --  Mr John Thomas,  [all three of] Penmachno

Grandchildren:

--  Mr Francis Lloyd [and]
  --  Miss Edith Lloyd [both of] Corwen
  --  Mr David Gray [and]
  --  Miss Dora Gray [both of] Manchaster
  --  Messrs. J. R. Thomas,
  --  David Thomas and
  --  The Misses Thomas,
  --  Emily Thomas,  and
  --  Lizzie Thomas, [all of] Penmachno

It is not entirely clear whether "the Misses Thomas" is just a joint title intended to apply to the Emily and Lizzie Thomas whose names appear immediately afterwards (as I assumed when counting heads for the purpose of my last message);  or whether alternatively "the Misses Thomas" were two older granddaughters who were labelled more formally than two following siblings who were still children.

It is also worth focusing on the fact that the article ascribes three sons to David Davies with the surname Thomas.  It seems not unreasonable to assume that in their case the reporter must have meant "step-children" -- presumably his wife's sons by a previous marriage?

Rol

(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Wynne1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 April 16 09:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny,
I found your enquirer of a few years ago by accident. The Rev David Davies is also a direct ancestor of mine and I wonder if you've found any more about him.   I do have additional details regarding him if you wish me to send it through
Regards
Wynne Jones

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 April 16 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi
There is a lengthy report of his death in Y Goleuad 19/02/1887 (in Welsh). This can be accessed free online on 'Welsh Newspapers Online'.
He had said that he wanted to be buried at Llanaber Church Cemetery, Barmouth. He moved from Barmouth to Penrhyndeudraeth shortly before his death, and changed his mind - decided that he'd like to be buried at Nazareth Chapel Cemetery (CM), Penrhyndeudraeth. On the afternoon of the day of his death he had been to the Cemetery to choose a plot.
The monument inscription says that he was from Barmouth, formerly from Penmachno, died 09/02/1887, aged 71 yrs, CM preacher for 54 yrs. His wife Ellinor died 20/02/1893, aged 84 yrs. Info from transcription in GFHS publication M259.
After leaving Penmachno he was at Corwen, before moving on to Barmouth.
It seems that initially preaching was a part time job and that he also kept a shop and a farm, and was a forestry(?) steward.
Y Goleuad 26/02/1887 gives following info:
Born 1815, started preaching when he was about 18 yrs old, ordained 1849, name of farm 'Bennar'.
Emyr

Offline Wynne1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hi
There is a lengthy report of his death in Y Goleuad 19/02/1887 (in Welsh). This can be accessed free online on 'Welsh Newspapers Online'.
He had said that he wanted to be buried at Llanaber Church Cemetery, Barmouth. He moved from Barmouth to Penrhyndeudraeth shortly before his death, and changed his mind - decided that he'd like to be buried at Nazareth Chapel Cemetery (CM), Penrhyndeudraeth. On the afternoon of the day of his death he had been to the Cemetery to choose a plot.
The monument inscription says that he was from Barmouth, formerly from Penmachno, died 09/02/1887, aged 71 yrs, CM preacher for 54 yrs. His wife Ellinor died 20/02/1893, aged 84 yrs. Info from transcription in GFHS publication M259.
After leaving Penmachno he was at Corwen, before moving on to Barmouth.
It seems that initially preaching was a part time job and that he also kept a shop and a farm, and was a forestry(?) steward.
Y Goleuad 26/02/1887 gives following info:
Born 1815, started preaching when he was about 18 yrs old, ordained 1849, name of farm 'Bennar'.
Emyr

Offline Wynne1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Emyr,
Thank you for the quick response, we visited the chapel and found the grave this afternoon. Next task is to link David Davies with other generations both before and after!
Regards
Wynne

Offline jenfair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 29 May 16 13:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Wynne, I've only just seen your posts, it's great to see the discussion up and running again. I haven't done any family history for quite a while but am just getting back into it. I will have a look back and let you know if I found out any more. I don't think I managed to get any further back with his line as the name is so common that I didn't really know where to start.  I would definitely appreciate any information you know.

Rev. David Davies is my 4 x great grandfather. His daughter Jane married Rev. Thomas Gray Williams (also a Calvinist Methodist minister). Thomas and Jane had a daughter Dorothy (Dora) who married Hugh Lloyd Williams (my Great Great grandfather).

I hope to hear from you soon and will look back through my records for any more info I might have found.

Jen

Hi Jenny,
I found your enquirer of a few years ago by accident. The Rev David Davies is also a direct ancestor of mine and I wonder if you've found any more about him.   I do have additional details regarding him if you wish me to send it through
Regards
Wynne Jones