Author Topic: Skelton Brickwall  (Read 2280 times)

Offline Bunnygirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Skelton Brickwall
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 September 11 08:47 BST (UK) »
Hi
Many thanks for your reply. I'll get back to you later today
Thanks
Bunnygirl
Leicestershire; Rothley,  Fowkes, Biddles, Dawson, Allen, Lambert, Tebbett, Needham , Horner, Cooper, Pagett, Jaques, Kinton, Newbald, Duffill   
Bedfordshire; Cardington, Trueman, Wilstead  Bridges, Clark(e), Redman
Essex; Eady, Newman, Copsey, Rawlin, Gilders, Smith  
Rotherhithe; Henderson, Eady. Lambert
Rutland & Bedfordshire  Staffod, Glover, Tom(b)lin
Suffolk  (Wissington) Eady.
Lincolnshire, Tomlin

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline wendy clark

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 September 11 16:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Bunnygirl
received your pm, I hope I managed to reply but if you haven't heard from, me pm me again, I am very new to this site !
Wendy Clark
Crabb middlesex
Dotchin
Miles
MYLES
Clark Middlesex
North Middlesex

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 September 11 17:55 BST (UK) »
Eighton Banks is right on the southern tip of Gateshead and not too far from Chester-le Street.

Are you aware that there are 3 Skeltons in North Yorkshire?

(1) 3 miles north of York on the A19
(2) approx 2 miles south of Saltburn on the A173
(3) approx 3 miles west of Richmond

When it says Skelton, York on the certificate, York could well be an abbreviation for Yorkshire just like it is in the LDS indexes.....

Bunnygirl mentions that Elizabeth is later living in Loftus so I would guess that option (2) is the one in question as it's only about 5 miles from Loftus. So as The Mc says, looks like it's the abbreviation for Yorkshire rather than the city of York.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Kab1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 21 April 17 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just for further information...James Dotchin married for a third time to Jane Duff Scott. I'm descended from his second marriage to Lizzie Shields.

I too had pieced together that James was born in the workhouse in Chester-Le-Street, and may have had siblings John and Edward. I'm trying to confirm his parentage - would anyone be able to help? Although on his certificates he writes his father was James Gordon Dotchin and mother was Sarah Robinson, I can only find birth certificates for mother Sarah Dotchin with no father mentioned, however the man who registered the births was James Gordon. I thought this might mean that James was illegitimate and that his mother was the Dotchin rather than his biological father.

Although Dotchin is an uncommon name, lots of Dotchins seem to be called James or Sarah which doesn't help!!

Does anyone know where the name Dotchin came from? From the census maps it seems localised to the NE until later in the 19th century when they start to spread out.

Any advice or info would be helpful.