Author Topic: McIntyre James  (Read 6088 times)

Offline PatWATT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McIntyre James
« on: Wednesday 16 December 09 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Trying to find James McIntyre born about 1857 in Ireland,eventually lived in Redding Row,Stirlingshire .This would be my husbands paternal grandmothers father of whom I've not been able to find any information.I've only been told that she said he came from Northern Ireland,and that she wore Orange on St.Patricks day.He was married to Catherine(Kitty) Pendergrass.

I'm assuming he was related to another James McIntyre who was shown in Donegal co at age 66 and lived later in Stirling also

Thank you for any and all info!
Watt,Pa,Ohio,Scotland

McIntyre,Pa,Scotland,Ireland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McIntyre James
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 December 09 20:30 GMT (UK) »
To start with, Donegal is one of the 9 counties of Ulster but not in Northern Ireland (which includes only 6 of the Ulster counties).

Is there a reason you think the McIntyre from Donegal is related (family story, etc.)?

When's the first time you found your James McIntyre in Scottish census records? if he moved to Scotland as a child some of the early census records might show other relatives with him.

There's a very good booklet online for Donegal research which might be of interest if you are just starting to do Irish research (although for Donegal much of it applies to research anywhere in Ireland)-
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal/genbooklet.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline PatWATT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 December 09 20:44 GMT (UK) »
the first time I found James in Scottish records was when I was searching for his marriage record there.THere was no information before that.I'm taking a stab in the dark in thinking they're both related.When I found him in Scotland he was living in Stirlingshire,also where his wife was from.A granddaughter of the grandmothers sister had a photo of him when we first met two years ago,but no other information than that.Any suggestions where I might go from here?most of the family has a coal mining background.
Watt,Pa,Ohio,Scotland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 December 09 21:26 GMT (UK) »
It's not an area of Scotland I know much about but in 1881 'your' James McIntyre is in Polmont registration district with wife and children and the 'other' James McIntyre is in Bannockburn registration district (1891 he's an inmate- workhouse?)- distance between Polmont and Bannockburn about 15 miles or so.  I didn't notice either in 1871 census.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline PatWATT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McIntyre,James
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 July 11 15:24 BST (UK) »
I'm picking this up again as I have a tad more information thanks to ancestry which gives and birthdate of July 1856 in Ireland.It sayss both parents were Irish.James was married in Polmont,Stirlinshire,Scotland to Catherine (Kate,Kitty) Pendergrass.They emigrated to the U.S. in 1883 and resided in Sugar Notch,Pennsylvania. I've been told by family members that their daughter Catherine (Kate) who was their oldest and married to my husbands grandfather William Watt that she often spoke of Nothern Ireland.Any help would be much appreciated! ;)
Watt,Pa,Ohio,Scotland

Offline Tuxmom1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 October 13 15:38 BST (UK) »
I'm a little late to the party and don't have a lot to add but James McIntyre was my great grandfather and lived with my grandparents (daughter Bessie)  until his death. I do have a photo of him...not a great one but better than nothing. I do know that the family was sent from Scotland to Northern Ireland to farm prior to them coming here.  My grandparents had three children, my dad Arthur Harrison Shumaker, Alberta Mae Shumaker and William Pender Shumaker. I was told that anyone using the "Pendergrass" name for one of their children was given a monetary gift...don't know if it was a fact. As a small child I knew Anna (idris) Jones and Minnie (Minerva) (Duncan) McVicar. My father was the only one to marry so I'm all that's left of his  branch and we have no children so that's that.   If I dig up anything else I'll let you know wish I could add something.

Offline chucksteele

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 December 16 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Tuxmom1 I just caught your post, albeit a few years late. I to am a relative of the Shumakers. My grand mother was Viola Mae Shumaker, Arthur's dad was my grandmother's brother. Would like to talk more,exchange info etc. email (*).
Sincerely,
Chuck Steele

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail and telephone number removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline PatWATT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 December 16 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Tuxmom1 and chucksteele. My husbands paternal grandmother was James oldest daughter,Katherine McIntyreso I'm quite excited about this information.I would love to hear from both of you.We are going on a trip to both Ireland and Scotland next summer to see if we can find information in the history archives. Yuxmom1,I'd love to hear what you have to add.I'm quite excited!!
Watt,Pa,Ohio,Scotland

Offline chucksteele

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 December 16 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi and thanks for the reply.Do you know if tuxmom1 still uses this forum?