Author Topic: Isaac Welsh c. St Issells, carpenter, died before 1841  (Read 2818 times)

Offline Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Isaac Welsh c. St Issells, carpenter, died before 1841
« on: Sunday 03 July 11 20:51 BST (UK) »
This chippie is my ancestor, but he seems to have left few traces that I can find (excluding me of course!)

He married Mary Walters 4-3-1815 but she was a widow by the 1841 census.

Also any theories about how the Welsh surname came about - does it imply a returning emigrant family from England?

Richard Wernham (Berkshire 18th century),
William Hissey (1805 to 1813, Hampstead Norris),
Kapirin (Siberia 19th Century),
Kitching 1850,
Mary Howse born 1806 ish,
Chris Truelove marr. John Pocock 2-7-1696, Kintbury, Berks

Offline The Mc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Welsh c. St Issells, carpenter, died before 1841
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 July 11 22:32 BST (UK) »
FreeBMD has the death of an Isaac Welsh in December 1838 in the Narbeth Reg. District (vol 26 page 424b).

The district Narberth spanned the boundaries of the counties of Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire so this looks like the man......

Offline jonm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 July 11 08:22 BST (UK) »
Morning

Interesting family...

If I am right, you can follow them back beyond 1700 living around the small-holdings at Little Kilvelgy and Kilvelgy Wells, both of which now mostly been subsumed by the modern development around Kilgetty. Poll books, wills and estate leases are the source for this conclusion.

There are two marriages for an Isaac Welch in the local marriage registers around this time:

20/11/1802 married at St Issells church (bachelor, OTP) to Martha Williams (Sp, OTP) witnesses: John Prickett (parish clerk) and John Griffiths

Three baptisms to this marriage

4/3/1815 married at Begelly (widower, St Issells) to MAry Waters (sp, OTP) witnesses: James Waters and William Eynon

Three children baptised to this second marriage: 2 at Begelly, 1 at St Issells. The last one died in a pit accident in 1843.

Also details on 2, maybe 3, illegitimate children.

I saw your other post about Mary Walters. Let me throw a spanner in the works by suggesting that her surname could be Waters. There are several occurences in the Begelly/St Issells registers of confusion over these two surnames. You'll see that "James Waters" is a witness to her marriage. (that's how I transcribed it anyway). There's a James Waters living in the area at the tme, aged abt 30 at Mary's wedding. I can't see a James Walters though.

If I extend my conjecture a bit, this could make Mary Waters the sibling of James and therefore daughter of William and Mary Waters of Begelly (around the Thomas Chapel area). There's no baptism for Mary in the Begelly registers but her approx birth date of abt 1778 fits in nicely with baptisms and assumed birth dates for other children of Wm and Mary.

There's no obvious burial for Isaac Welch in the Begelly/St Issells burial registers.

Jon

Offline Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 July 11 08:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks both - especially Jon.  Just as I was dropping off to sleep last night it occurred to me that his death might have made it in to the register - some things just don't seem to occur to me straight off.

Mary was not his first wife so both the marriages could be his, especially if one of the children from the first was a James born about 1791-1796.  Little Kidwelly keeps cropping up as well.

From the second marriage I have a possible Thomas (though he may have been a son of the above James) and Ann (my line).
Kitching 1850,

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 08:43 BST (UK) »
From my database of all names, places relationships and property from every will probated for the parish of St Issells from 1600 to 1858 I not the surname Welc(s)h is mentioned in the following wills ;
David Welch of Little Kilvelgy St Issells ref SD1821/056
David Welch a Yeoman of St Issells ref SD1775/036
Elizabeth Welsh of St Issells ref SD1718/026
Pengeste Thomas of St Issells in his will ref SD1613/118 mentions Pheeis Welshe of Tenby

For your future interest. From the same database but in this case for the parish of Manorbier wills 1600 to 1858, I note the surname Wels(c)h in the following wills ;
Harrie Welch of Manobier a Labourer ref SD1611/125
James Myllard of Manorbier ref SD1609/101 mentions Marrion Welch of Tenby

All the above wills are freely available on the NLoW website.

Since there are no male Welc(s)h mrges in the area of your interest pre 1802, I do note the mrge of John Richards to Sarah Welch at St Issells in 1784.

A look at L.T.A’s 1783 to 1833 might well indicate the name of the head of the Welch family in the area, which could lead to finding the mrge out of area of the parents of Isaac.

Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL a welsh window on a surname
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline EILATANSW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 November 15 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi.   A long shot as I'm unsure if you use this anymore.

I'm currently looking into my Waters family tree line from the Begelly area.

They were living - so it says - at Thomas Chapel, Begelly.
Just wondering if maybe we have a connection some how? Sorry if we don't - I know it's a long shot, but worth a try.

Natalie

Offline Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 November 15 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, welcome to RootsChat.

My Walters Begelly link is Mary Walters born Begelly 1775/1778 died Summer 1867 Pembroke.
She married Isaac Welsh/Welch in Begelly 4th March 1815, giving birth to my 4 x GGM in 1818 in St Issells.
The only ancestral notes I have on her is somebody elses's (unconvincing) conjecture that her father was William Walters and her mother Mary or Elizabeth.

Does any of this sound like anything you have found?

peter
Kitching 1850,

Offline EILATANSW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 November 15 21:50 GMT (UK) »
I don't seem to (yet) have found any WALTERS lines in my family only the Waters.