Author Topic: Looking for DOB maureen whittaker from royston 1940,died1972,+where buried plz  (Read 4663 times)

Offline sarahwhittaker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for DOB maureen whittaker from royston 1940,died1972,+where buried plz
« Reply #18 on: Monday 04 July 11 11:35 BST (UK) »
hiya, 
my late mother in law, worked  at mount vernon school in barnsley until her death in 1972 ( she was 32 yrs), while on a annual outting with members of the school and staff.   the headmaster was called mr hughes.

the accident happened 17th aug 1972, on there way to spain, but the accident was in bordeaux near dax (france). when a lorry  hit the side of the bus and killed her, alongside  a child, and the childs mother died the following day. 

My hubby was in  his mums arms as he was asleep and i wish to find out all i can about his mum maureen whittaker, as he was only 7 yrs at the time, and  really would love to place the final jigsaw piece together regarding his short time with his mum. 

any info, links or pics would be great. thanks
whittaker... barnsley/staincross/royston/ryhill.
tallboy....london
frost.....london/wales 
davies...barnsley/staincross/royston.

Offline sarahwhittaker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for DOB maureen whittaker from royston 1940,died1972,+where buried plz
« Reply #19 on: Monday 04 July 11 12:07 BST (UK) »
is this site any help

sylvia

http://www.ibew.org.uk/misc44.htm

thanks. looking into it now. thankyou x
whittaker... barnsley/staincross/royston/ryhill.
tallboy....london
frost.....london/wales 
davies...barnsley/staincross/royston.

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 04 July 11 15:07 BST (UK) »

Try contacting the Barnsley Chronicle they may be able to

access their old reports.

They also include requests for information about

relatives, past events, old friends etc. in the weekly

newspaper.   Many people from that area would be able to

help.

http://www.barnsley-chronicle.co.uk/help/contacts

Tomkin :)

Offline brian28

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 03:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah I was a pupil at Mount Vernon School in the early 1970s Remember Mr Hughes his wife was deputy head .. the school was situated off Bruce Ave Worsbrough Common Barnsley  I indeed remember the Sunshine bus, travelled on it many times .. The school is now called Worsbrough Common  junior school now .. I do recall the sad accident involving the crash in France .. its vivid though I  was only young then probably was in the presence of your mum.. not sure what her job was there .. was a happy time there regards Brian