Author Topic: Where is Glendinning?  (Read 16758 times)

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Glendinning?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 July 11 14:57 BST (UK) »
hi,
    if you go to scotlands places and click on the horse tax for 1797-8 under dumfries westerkirk there is a jas. glendinning staying at glendinning 1797-8 paying a hore tax hope this may help

harrywrag

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 July 11 23:03 BST (UK) »
hi,
    if you go to scotlands places and click on the horse tax for 1797-8 under dumfries westerkirk there is a jas. glendinning staying at glendinning 1797-8 paying a hore tax hope this may help

harrywrag

:o

that gives it a whole other meaning ...  ;D

Offline NewRhi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 01:28 BST (UK) »
Oh my goodness!
Thank you very much!  The reason I'm asking is because I do think my family is related to Telford via his mother.  This is very exciting because the William Jackson I have the IGI record for(says he was born Glendinning 1794), I also have a copy of his obituary saying he was doubly related to Thomas Telford.  I've just reread it actually and it gives a lot of info, proving yet again you should work from the sources you already have.  Many thanks, and if anyone has anymore info on the family or area, I'd love to hear!
 ;D
Chesterfield(especially Holymoorside, Old Brampton, New Brampton and Whittington)
HOWE, FURNISS,FURNESS,LOWE, LOWDE
FERGUSSON
JACKSON

Offline NewRhi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 02:36 BST (UK) »
hi,

harrywrag

I see it in Eskdalemuir and there are a Jackson and Telfer there too, excellent! ;D
Chesterfield(especially Holymoorside, Old Brampton, New Brampton and Whittington)
FERGUSSON
JACKSON

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 03:15 BST (UK) »
That's all fitting together nicely for you NewRhi. How exciting.  ;D

Have you checked the OPR's on Scotland's People for your ancestors in case there is further information? Sometimes you get a little more than is on the IGI .... eg. for a start, if I were you I would get the OPR for William Jackson's 1794 baptism, and also any available OPR's for Janet Jackson (Thomas Telford's mother). With such a tiny community they are bound to be related - all you have to do is work out how.  ;)

This is interesting:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0e45/

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 04:10 BST (UK) »
SP is showing a marriage in 1755 Westerkirk for John Tel* and Janet Jackson.

Offline phaistos

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 September 14 19:00 BST (UK) »
We visited Glendinning just a month ago. There's very little there: a small cairn as a Telford birthplace monument, Glendinning Farm itself, one house which is all that's left of the mining village of Jamestown; and that's about it. It is also at the very end of the road - except for a forestry track going further up the valley. There's a scatter of other houses /farms down the valley; and they'd have had to walk three or four miles down the valley to the church, where his dad is buried.  But it is beautiful, as well as lonely.  I can imagine Telford and others being keen to get away, or being delighted to stay!

I've attached pictures of the valley; and of his dad's grave in the Westerkirk burial ground.

Best wishes!  David

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 29 September 14 02:38 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat David, and thank you for such a helpful first post. It looks like such beautiful country. Idyllic - I'd love to live there.  :)

Offline NewRhi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for sharing the photos David, they're brilliant.  It really brings history to life when you can imagine the places people lived.  I'm hoping to visit the area too one day although I think I'll wait until after winter.   :)
FERGUSSON
JACKSON