Author Topic: Garrett Fitzgerald ex Taoiseach.  (Read 9645 times)

Offline GAJM1

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Garrett Fitzgerald ex Taoiseach.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 04:42 BST (UK) »
This has his grandfather Patrick Fitzgerald as born in Mitchelstown, Cork

http://freespace.virgin.net/hearth.nireland/Coll%20Gr%20McConnell.html

Takes a bit of reading

Now parts of Mitchelstown are very close to Tipperary so this is where the confusion may lie

Ger

Offline MacGearailt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 10:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. Skeheen Upper is in the parish of Mitchelstown, whereas Skeheenarinky is just across the border in South Tipperary. The wiki article says Patrick was from  Skeheenarinky.
 Garrett was there in 2008 to launch a book called 'The History of Skeheenarinky National School,1858-2008' and appears to have said that his grandfather Patrick emigrated from the area.
As for the marriage of Patrick and Mary Anne Scollard, as per your article there are references to them marrying in March 1870 in Saint Saviours district..I found a Thomas Joseph born in West Ham in 1888. I don't have Ancestry.co.uk and rely on the freeBMD and freecen sites.
I think this may be the Family in 1881. All the dates appear to add up. I'll try and find Patrick's birth in Mitchelstown circa 1835.

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Offline MacGearailt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 17:59 BST (UK) »
Sorry about the copyright infringement.
I think Patrick and Mary Anne Fitzgerald are on this link:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/recordDetails/show?uri=https://api.familysearch.org/records/pal:/MM9.1.r/1L7D-R5G/p_10307949123
I would be obliged if anyone can send more detail.
I found a church record of Patrick Fitzgerald, born 1832 in Gurteennaboul, Mitchelstown. His parents were John Fitzgerald and Ann Hennessy. There are no Fitzgeralds here in Griffith Valuation. The nearest ones are a mile or so away in Skeheen Upper, Where there is a Patrick and a John and my g grandfather Thomas.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 18:32 BST (UK) »
Can we look at this a different way to help us understand you query?

Was Thomas Joseph Fitzgerald b 1888 London your ancestor?  He later took the name of Desmond Fitzgerald and was Garret's father

Which of his 4 children are you descended from - Desmond,  Pierce.  Fergus or Garret?  (all deceased)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline MacGearailt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole,
                  I'm not descended from Thomas Joseph Fitzgerald. My great grandfather, another Thomas Fitzgerald lived in Skeheen Upper and was evicted in 1896 to make way for the Kilworth Rifle range. His was one of over twenty families evicted at the time. He was born in 1841. His father was William Fitzgerald and his mother was Margaret McGrath.
Skeheen Upper, Where Garrett Fitzgerald said he was from in my first post was a small townland on the side of a mountain, with  very few Fitzgerald households listed there in Griffiths Valuation.
I hoped to make a connection between the two families. I thought my great grand father and Garrett's grandfather, Patrick may have been brothers.
Thanks for your interest,
                                           Ivan.

Offline paudohu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 November 11 20:38 GMT (UK) »
 Hi MacGearailt,

I dont know how I can be of assistance to you, but, my great grandmother was margaret fitzgerald, and she claimed that her grandfather was evicted from the land to accommodate the laying of kilworth ranges, I am experiencing difficulty finding the tie in because the records are very sketchy, however I will keep looking. any pointers would be appreciated.

Paud.

Offline MacGearailt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 24 November 11 20:53 GMT (UK) »
I'll send you a personal message.

Offline MacGearailt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 24 November 11 21:18 GMT (UK) »
I can't message you my email for some reason. It keeps coming up with this;
Send report
PM could not be sent to 'paudohu' due to the max. PM limit.

send me yours in a message and I will send you stuff on the evictions.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 24 November 11 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Both the sender and recipient need three posts before you have full access to the PM system.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests