Author Topic: Winifred Conboy Fairbrother daughter of thomas and honor  (Read 10557 times)

Offline sallyvcarter

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Winifred Conboy Fairbrother daughter of thomas and honor
« on: Tuesday 05 July 11 01:39 BST (UK) »
I am looking for info on the family of Winifred Conboy of Rosscommon Ireland B; 1831, Married 1846,
Her father was Thomas Conboy quarry owner Castlerea and Mother Honor Hannaley.
She married a Richard Fairbrother, english soldier and moved to NZ  in 1856
Any information on the Fairbrother would be great too...They are elusive!

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Irish Nutter on the Hunt for Rellies :-)
    • View Profile
Re: Winifred Conboy Fairbrother daughter of thomas and honor
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 August 11 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hi...

I can't find a birth in Roscommon for a Winifred Conboy but I did find her marriage - as I am not sure that you know where it took place in Roscommon, I looked it up for you and it took place 1846 in Kilkeevan Church of Ireland, Co. Roscommon.

I did find one child born to Thomas and Honor however...its a Catherine Conboy b. 1826 in Castlerea, Co. Roscommon. I searched all of Ireland for any other children born to Thomas and Honor, but it was Catherine's birth which only came up.

I did find two deaths for a Thomas Conboy in Co. Roscommon also...

Thomas Conboy died 1834 in Athleague, Co. Roscommon and another in 1876, Roscommon Civil (CP). I tried to search for an Honor Conboy but nothing came up.

There are a few Richard Fairbrothers on the NZ Electoral Roll but none with a Richard and Winifred together. However, there is a Winifred Fairbrother on the 1896 Electoral Roll in Wairarpa as a widow. She is also on the 1900 Electoral Roll in same place, and again between 1905 and 1906, and also on 1911 Electoral Roll. I have got the images for all of them - if you want them, I will gladly email them to you if private message me your email address.

Oohh there are a few trees on Ancestry with both Richard and Winifred on there. I don't know if some of them are your trees but one of the trees has pictures of Richard and Winifred. If you have Ancestry..go to public member trees and type in Winifred Conboy and Richard Fairbrother. It looks like the Electoral Rolls are the right ones for Winifred as well.

Hope some of this helps,

Annie
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Tighe in Victoria, Australia.

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Offline sallyvcarter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 August 11 06:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for taking the time to look into things for me. Most my info came from family.
I'll send you a PM

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Irish Nutter on the Hunt for Rellies :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 August 11 09:57 BST (UK) »
Perfect  :D

I checked the 1901 Census of Ireland for Roscommon, and there's 37 people with the surname of Conboy. On the 1911, there are 45 people with the surname Conboy. By the way, I got the birth years etc from www.rootsireland.ie.

Looking forward to your PM,

Annie
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Tighe in Victoria, Australia.

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Offline goofopet

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 13:20 BST (UK) »
I am a Conboy descended from the Conboys of Roscommon. My Grandfather has done geneology work on this -- I'll send him a link to your query!

Offline sallyvcarter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 22:11 BST (UK) »
That would be amazing
I think the Marriage was a bit of a scandal. (One catholic one Protestant, and she was young- they Married in secret, he was stationed elsewhere for a year before he returned and they ran away together)
They did well in NZ after a bankruptcy during the long depression, Richard became the mayor of Caterton. (As did his son, 2 son in laws and grandson, and a great grandson was deputy mayor.)

Offline fairbrothergw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 October 11 06:09 BST (UK) »
HI there.  Am great grand daughter of Winifred and Richard.  My brother still lives on the farm purchased by Winifred after Richard died.  Richard was actually FIRST mayor of Carterton.  I have been to the barracks where Richard trained in 49th Regiment, and to Dalefield House where we suspect he met Winifred.  I have also been to the site of the church you mention (Kilkeevan) which no longer exists.  I am intrigued by your information "that ran away together".  Can you tell me the source of this exact information. I have done much research and have not been able to establish this and from the information I have I don't believe this to be correct.  From information we have it is uncertain whether Winifred was 13 or 15 when they married.  They did not have children straight away.  Look forward to hearing from you.  Are you family. 

Offline sallyvcarter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 October 11 22:32 BST (UK) »
My husband is a great great great grandson of theirs.
I will scan and send you the info I have. It is from Other relatives and un sourced.

Offline fairbrothergw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 October 11 02:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks that is great.  I look forward to receiving any information you have ::)