Author Topic: Winifred Conboy Fairbrother daughter of thomas and honor  (Read 10558 times)

Offline Adele Pentony-Graham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Winifred Conboy Fairbrother daughter of thomas and honor
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 December 13 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Going through old scans last night, I came across a letter from the owner of DALEFIELD HOUSE in Castlerea, plus the map as to how to find it if the family were due to visit, I know some did after me doing the research.. Also any of the descendants found if Richard was from London after all, I have his parents but over the years can find nothing off him.. or his parents.. I used to help Wilf Beckett, but he died this year, just over 100 years young, we did find Louisa Fairbrother and who she married, was Richard off this line?  NZ Womans Weekly did an article years ago about it... I also found a copy of Richard and Winifred Marriage Certificate.
Compliments of the Season, its Christmas Day in Carterton NZ. where Richard was the First Mayor. I am the early settlers researcher at the Cemetery here!!!

Carry on hunting... most enjoyable pastime!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 24 December 13 23:05 GMT (UK) »
just FYI, may not be yours.

Newspaper:    Leitrim Advertiser
Newspaper Content:    Mohill Court case versus John Conboy (Her Son)
Date:    4 November 1869
Newspaper Subject:    Conboy Winefred

Newspaper:    Leitrim Advertiser
Newspaper Content:    Mohill Court case versus Martha Conboy
Date:    1 June 1871
Newspaper Subject:    Conboy Winefred
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Adele Pentony-Graham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 December 13 05:44 GMT (UK) »
Richard and Winifred came over to NZ mid 1850s, so sadly not her...  story had it that she climbed out of the window, knotted sheets to get to Richard to get married.  We never found if he was from London, as story said he was, searched high and low for his records with no luck.. from memory they married in 1846, as she followed him and lived in the Barracks looking after his uniform. thanks..