Author Topic: Noddles in Calbeck  (Read 12862 times)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Noddles in Calbeck
« Reply #18 on: Friday 27 June 14 13:08 BST (UK) »
A rare name in Cumberland (in censuses).  More common in Westmorland, possibly immigrants from the Sedbergh area of Yorks.

Earlier censuses show them around Bradford/Skipton areas, farmers etc, not "immigrant trades".

Perhaps there will be foreigners if you go back far enough but probably not after 1800.

:)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 27 June 14 15:02 BST (UK) »
Some Noddles who worked in the Threlkeld area were German in origin. They came to work the mines and quarries in the area in the late 19C. I have this information from a lady who did the original research but after what Geoff has said, I am just wondering if in fact they were English and went to Germany where some of the family may have married local people.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline Oletta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 30 June 14 17:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Caroline

It's interesting what you have told me about Margaret Jane Noddle running away with Thomas Twentyman.  someone else had told me the same story but so far have not got to the bottom of this story!! But I won't give up.  These Noddles have to be somewhere!!!

The problem that WE have is that you seem to find a person in the "Noddle Family" and then they usually disappear.

Will be in touch with you when I find any information.

Best wishes
Oletta

Offline Oletta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 30 June 14 17:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Clearly and Geoff-E

Thank you both for your information.  Yes, they did come from the Westmorland area, on the census there seem to be quiet a few "Noddles" in that area.

That would be very interesting if we could find whereabouts they came from in Germany, and why they came over?  I would have thought it may have something to do with the 1st World War. But i will try and find out.

Thank you again
Best wishes
Oletta

Offline Alison Carter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 21 July 16 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Caroline,

I've just recently started to trace my fathers family history. I think we may share the same Grandmother, Nelly Noddle. I know very little about my dads family. I know Nelly was born a noddle and was adopted, she married a joseph? bailey, he died I think, then she met a man called William Jackson and then married a John Hodgson. I have her death certificate, she past away in 1980. I never knew her. Does this sound like your Grandmother? My dad is Raymond Bailey, he was the youngest son.

Alison.

Offline Caroline McLean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 21 July 16 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison

Does your father's birth certificate give his mother's maiden name as Steele and was he born in Whitehaven! I think we are talking about the same Nelly but I don't know of this person called Jackson.  I know Nelly left Joseph and all the children when my mum, Sylvia (the eldest) was around 12 years old. All the children were put into care.  Nelly was put into care as a baby and adopted by a family called Steele.  She was told her mother, Margarete Jane Noddle, had died of TB.  However, I have been told by someone else researching the Noddle family that she ran off with her employer, a Thomas Twentyman.  I've also been told they used the name Jackson.

Nelly did marry John Hodgson.  He was lovely.  I never knew Joseph as he died just before I was born in 1957.   I've only ever know John and knew that he was not my real grandfather.

I believe my mum has mentioned a brother called Raymond and Sister called Isabelle.. I think.  I've never met them.  What does your father know of his family's history? 

Thank you for contacting me.  Anything you can find re the Bailey family tree would be useful.  I've never got further than my great grandfather, Robert Bailey.

Thanks again

Caroline

Offline Caroline McLean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 21 July 16 12:47 BST (UK) »
Alison, I will speak with my mum re Raymond.  Tell her I may be in contact with a cousin I dint know I had ;)

Offline Alison Carter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 21 July 16 13:02 BST (UK) »
Alison, I will speak with my mum re Raymond.  Tell her I may be in contact with a cousin I dint know I had ;)

Yes it's definitely the same Nelly!!! 😀 My dads birth certificate says her maiden is Steele but nellys death certificate says her maiden name was Noddle. Yes there is a sister called Isobel and dad was born in Whitehaven. Now lives in Devon. Ohh this is exciting!!! I will message you later, my little boy has just woken up and I don't get any peace with him lol.

Offline Caroline McLean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 21 July 16 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison.

I will forewarn you that the Noddle / Bailey family tree search may not turn out information that you or your dad wish to know... Take for example the lie that our great grandmother had died when she had actually run off with her employer and had put 'our' grandmother in to care.. And previous babies too. My mum still can't accept this information.

I spoke with my mum about Raymond, your father.  She says he was at Nelly's funeral..as was I.  But I don't remember him.