Author Topic: Catherine Elizabeth FENWICK died Victoria 1943  (Read 8393 times)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Elizabeth FENWICK died Victoria 1943 - correction
« Reply #18 on: Monday 08 August 11 07:34 BST (UK) »
Marriage date should read 1875, just checked!

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline Spender

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Elizabeth FENWICK died Victoria 1943
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 29 March 15 18:32 BST (UK) »
My great Great Grandfaher was E E Fenwick..I have some info about  the large family he left in UK
Would be interested to find out anything more you have discovered about son Henry/Wife Elizabeth  and their apparent  Parental family "Scam"
Cheers
Spender

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 29 March 15 22:20 BST (UK) »
Never thought I would hear from a descendant of EE Fenwick !

His son Henry married Catherine Elizabeth WEBB in 1875 at St Johns, Newcastle upon Tyne.
He was last heard of in 1879 still living in Newcastle.
He does not appear of the 1881 census, nor does his wife Catherine.
He next appears on the 1891 census in Canada with a different wife

Name:   Henry Fenwick      of Smiths Falls
Birth Place:   London (sic) England
Estimated Birth Year:   abt 1852
Father Name:   Edward Fenwick
Mother Name:   Catherine Fenwick
Spouse Name:   Annie O'Brien   of Smiths Falls
Spouse's Age:   23
Spouse Birth Place:   Perth
Spouse Father Name:   Patrick O'brien
Spouse Mother Name:   Harriet O'brien
Marriage Date:   1 May 1889
Marriage Location:   Grenville
Marriage County:   Grenville
Archives of Ontario Microfilm:   MS932_64

They had 6 children

His first wife disappears for a few census- 1910 1st July she is on a ship arriving at Quebec from Liverpool on the "Virginian", she says she is 44 (!) a widow born in England a trained nurse, had previously been a companion. She had knocked 10 years off her age.
She died in BC Canada, where she lived many years, in 1943.

Her husband Henry Cuthbertson Fenwick died or disappeared again between 1901-1911. Burial unknown.
His bigamous wife Annie died 1936, her gravestone reads "wife of H C Fenwick".

The "family scam" is an even longer story, I have copies of several court documents and lots of newspaper articles. The actual money seemed to vanish in thin air probably in unwise business deals. EE's father was bankrupt in 1834 and died in 1839. His "heiress" wife had died in 1837. EE and some of his siblings took out a court action against the trustees of his wife's inheritance to regain the lost money, alleging it was their fault that Barnabas Fenwick had got hold of his wife's money.

I'm very interested to hear your part in this story

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 05 April 15 04:56 BST (UK) »
Spender

If you can tell me how you are related to EE Fenwick, his UK or Canada family??? I can pass on masses of info way back into the 17th century about our Fenwicks............... but if you are not interested, pity.

Gen in NBL England

Offline Spender

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 05 April 15 09:56 BST (UK) »
So sorry for the delay ..I have been away and am just learning how to navigate this site .....As I said my Great Grandfather is Edward Emerson Fenwick..He had 4 sons and 2 daughters....Henry /George/William/elizabeth /Charles /Margaret...As U know he left this family behind and went to Canada...Followed by Son Henry..I have a copy of an indenture from a newspaper -Barnabas and Edward sold their Wine and Spirits company ....I believe they were bankrupt..Proceeds unknown..Mabe funded the fare to Canada for both!.....Presumably the original investment came from the wealthy Catherine..My brother and I are decended from their son WILLIAM....He married SELINA  GIBBON in about 1864.. They had 10 children (one died aged 5years).....and my grandfather was one of them ...JOHN ... John married my grandmother Annie.and they had 8 children including my mother Nancy----I have some detailed  information about all of those other 9 sons and daughters  ( one died aged 6 weeks called Edward Emerson!) Anyway all of this info actually came direct from another offspring called Alice...My Great Aunt..She came over from Australia in about 1970...and stayed with our family for a while.-She was really lovely -She  also visited other family settled in Kent ..I stayed in touch by letter till she died in about 1980 I think...Her writing was pretty scratchy ...I would love to delve further ...With yr info..I can't follow my Dads family as he was adopted...Brick wall there unfortunately!!...Hope this is useful info ...Lokk forward to hearing from you ...Sue