Author Topic: Edinburgh birth lookup please - ANNIE McLEOD b1847  (Read 4053 times)

Offline pc99pc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edinburgh birth lookup please - ANNIE McLEOD b1847
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 February 16 11:57 GMT (UK) »
In which case - we are related :-) 

If you're still out there....

Annie is my great great Grandmother on my Mother's side - Delighted to attach a tree all the way down to my grandparents

And your findings take me back further on that line so thanks !

Offline pc99pc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 February 16 12:10 GMT (UK) »
I have some more on Annie -

Samuel Bailey married Annie and had 8 kids. Their son Sam married my Great Grandmother Louisa Bailey. Sam always thought he was born in Bath but in fact he was from Rochdale....  I'll call Samuel (the Father) Samuel and Sam (the son) Sam to distinguish -

I ordered Sam and Louisa Bailey’s Wedding Certificate which shows they were living in the same building in Soho, and today it is slap bang in the middle of China Town.

Samuel was a Tailor, originally from Bath. But he moved around, went up north, married Annie McLeod between October and December 1872 and that’s where my Great Grandad Sam was born – in Rochdale in Lancashire and not in Bath as he thought. His name is also definitely Bailey and not Baily.

Another northern connection then, although Samuel the Tailor had moved back down to Bath by the 1881 census when Sam was about 2 years old – so it’s not surprising he later thought he was born round there.

Sam had five sisters and two brothers,  the eldest of which was Margaret... then came twins Annie & Louisa, then Kate, then Sam, after him came Mabel, then George and lastly Arthur. All eight born between 1872 and 1886. Poor Annie.

In 1871 Annie was a servant in Rochdale and Samuel was a Tailor at that time working in Worcestershire. He must have gone to Rochdale for the cotton industry, met Annie (who worked for someone in the trade), they married and had Margaret, all in one year. But by 1891 Annie was widowed and living in Soho as a Charwoman with the seven youngest. The twins were tailoresses, Kate was a 14 year old errand girl and Sam was a 12 year old errand boy. The rest were at school.

Must have been a hard life. Samuel the Tailor had died aged just 44 in Stockport Lancs between October and December 1888.

Having found Samuel, it was then quite easy to find his dad – yet another Samuel, b. 1802. He was from a village called Bradford-on-Avon not far from Bath and only 15 miles from where my brother Simon now lives. On the 1851 Census he is listed as a Police Constable in Bath married to a local girl - Catherine somebody. He had one son, Samuel the Tailor and two daughters – Jane and yet another Louisa. They may have had more children before Jane. Samuel died aged 88 at some point between January and March 1889 – so within days or just a few weeks of his son.

Hope this is all of interest.

If you're still out there - can I get a copy of Samuel and Annie's Birth Cert please?

Thanks

Phil Collins

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 February 16 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Can I give you some advice....sometimes in our excitement to find and share ancestors, we can post too much online that is recent and identifyable in a way we many not expect (the joys of the internet and the care we all need to care sadly  :-\)

The details you posted right up to your generation and siblings, very likely include details on living people (apart from you!). RC have a positive rule to protect people's identity if still alive. You might want to take off the tree and edit to take out details of living people before re-attaching here.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pc99pc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 February 16 13:58 GMT (UK) »
thanks  sorted