Author Topic: pollecoff in pwllheli  (Read 7548 times)

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: pollecoff in pwllheli
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 July 11 21:41 BST (UK) »
Just following the theme of Jewish history, I've recently been in Berlin and walked down Giesebrechtstrasse off the KU-damm in the Charlottenberg district ( on my way to the Harp Irish Bar, actually) and noticed brass plaques set into the cobbles which commemorated many Jewish people who had lived there before being "exported" and sent to their deaths in October 1941 by the Nazis. They mainly seemed to have been older people in their 60's + 70's- I wonder if the younger ones had managed to get away?

Offline Rolyvaughan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 August 11 15:53 BST (UK) »
Yes, there was a Pollycoffs (sp) shop in Bl. Ffestiniog, so well known that it became the name of a bus stop. As a temp. conductor on the Crosville services from Dolgellau in the summers of 1961/2 I was well aware of it. I couldn't position it accurately now but recall it was on the road south from the town - on the way to Cae Iago.

Offline Marthajersey

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 November 11 21:55 GMT (UK) »
The birth in Pwllheli in 1931 was my father. His father Jacob was born in Anglesey and his grandfather was en route to America when the boat actually docked in Hull from the Ukraine. Family history records that it was indeed the nearest that the immigration officer got to the name given by the 2 brothers it was probably Poliakov!