Author Topic: Hugh Dougherty, B 1808, Killmacrennan, Letterkenny  (Read 6599 times)

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Dougherty, B 1808, Killmacrennan, Letterkenny
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 July 11 12:05 BST (UK) »
its possible the family were flax seed growers for the linen industry
http://Freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal/flaxlist1.htm
11 Dougherty list on this list at Kilmacrenan (spelt with one l)
most of the townlands were flax seed growers, do you know his fathers first name?

Offline Paddles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 July 11 00:01 BST (UK) »
Rathmore,

Sorry about the extra (l), you should be grateful now days with getting something extra for free: doesn't happen too often!

On a serious note now, Hugh's fathers name, according to his NZ death certificate was Peter, and his mother's name was Margaret McTaigue.  Have looked at the flax growers site in the past when I had far less detailed information on Hugh.

I will get into the flax growers site id detail in a day or two.  In the meantime I am corresponding with someone in NZ comparing our data on Hugh and Mary.  I am hoping some more details may come to light from this 'comparing of notes exercise'. 

Thanks again Rathmore for you continued interest.

Regards
Greg D.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 July 11 12:20 BST (UK) »
on the flax seed list different spelling of McTaigue, list as McTague and McTeague at Kilmacrennan most of the townlands were run by people that were related to one and other.

Offline Paddles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 July 11 00:39 BST (UK) »
Rathmore,

Thanks for those tips; on the different spellings of the surname name, and the bit about the townland administration. I had better get over there to Ireland and find out some more of these tips and hints while I still have the means to do it before Mistress Gillard implements the carbon tax here.

Regards
Greg D.

Offline Paddles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 22 July 11 02:15 BST (UK) »
Rathmore,

I have viewed the Flaxseed site as you suggested.  While there is no Peter listed for any spelling of 'Dougherty', and as i do not know Margaret McTaigue's father's christian name i can go no further on that line either.  This site is only any value if they were flax growers.   Had to check it though. Thanks anyway.

If these families had any other profession, occupation or calling then they will not be listed on this site; a reasonable deduction.  What was the town situation like in Ireland during the late 1700's early 1800's?  Did they have shops and trading as we know them now, or was every family a subsistence farmers and working land for a landlord? (Irish history taught here Australia consisted only of the potato famine, and that most of our forefathers came from there after the American War of Independence prevented good old Mother England dumping her so called 'undesirables' there, so we got them instead.)  I think that this should be my next avenue for research, if it is possible.

Regards
Greg D.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 22 July 11 12:25 BST (UK) »
Peter Dougherty listed national archives 89th Foot Regiment from Letterkenny
discharged age 50. Ref: No W0121/134/76
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
there was a police barracks at Kilmacrennan it might have been an army barracks before that.

Offline Paddles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 July 11 00:12 BST (UK) »
Rathmore,

While I thought that I was 'looking further outward' than farming in the local are, I was still remaining in the area, if you understand.  Not being familiar with the local area is making it this task more difficult, let alone what constituted the 'town' in those days did not help either. 

When I saw your latest reply, I was just astounded. Just could not believe what my eyes were reading.  My first impressions are, like father like son and this is a good result. I will now research this information and get back.  I most certainly was not expecting this, as My thinking was that as Hugh enlisted in Tyrone he fled the local area to escape for some reason, similar to joining the French Foreign Legion.

Thank you, off to London now.  (Nothing like 'computer based international traveling'.)

Greg D.

Offline Parkybe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello Greg
My husband is also descended from Hugh and Mary, through their daughter Mary.  I hope you are still on this forum and that you have made some progress.  Are you descended from Edward?  I did not know he went to Queensland.  I hope we can share some information.
Cheers
Lyn B
Western Australia