Author Topic: Dunscore and Old Dunscore Cemeteries  (Read 5680 times)

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dunscore and Old Dunscore Cemeteries
« on: Thursday 07 July 11 14:57 BST (UK) »
Have a relative that died in the early 1800s in Dunscore and not sure where buried.

Can anyone recommend a source of information about these two cemeteries?

Thanks in advance for any help.

yn9man
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Dunscore and Old Dunscore Cemeteries
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 July 11 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Transcriptions of both the Dunscore Old (Portrack) kirkyard and Dunscore Village kirkyard are available from the Dumfriesshire family history society.

Here is their website: http://www.dgfhs.org.uk/publications.asp their publications are very reasonable priced, these are two pounds and three pounds respectively – quite a bargain I’d say!

I hope you find what you’re looking for.

Emma

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 July 11 15:20 BST (UK) »
ScottishAncestry -

Thanks for such a prompt response. Will start there and see where I go from there.

Appreciate taking your time to respond.

yn9man
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 July 11 20:21 BST (UK) »
You can take a photo tour of both Dunscore Village graveyard and Dunscore Old graveyard at:
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dfsgal/Dunscore/index.htm
and
http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dfsgal/Dunscore-old/index.htm
I have taken some closeups of a few gravestones in both tours so you could be lucky.
If you wish to use any of the photos in your family history record you are free to do so
I waive copyright on all not-for-profit use of my images.
DGFHS have transcribed the OPRs for Dunscore as well as the MIs in both graveyards.
There are a number of old graveyards quite close to each other in this area.
Holywood. Kirkpatrick Irongray and Moniaive just to name three.
What family name are you interested in?
Hope that helps.
Sy
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline Spence1387

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 20:43 BST (UK) »
Dumfries & Galloway Family History Society have published booklets of gravestone inscriptions of all the local graveyards.

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 July 11 15:12 BST (UK) »
Johnner Kid -

Thanks for the links. Didn't see / find any family but I thoroughly enjoyed the photo tour. You are quite the photographer.

yn9man

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 July 11 15:16 BST (UK) »
Spence1387

Thanks for the information about the Dumfries and Galloway Family History Society booklets. Appreciate your time in responding to my post.

yn9man