Author Topic: catherine nolan born born 1900 carlow  (Read 19388 times)

Offline dave taxi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
catherine nolan born born 1900 carlow
« on: Friday 08 July 11 12:55 BST (UK) »
i am looking for family of catherine nolan (known as kathleen) born 1900 in carlow potato market, any relatives past or present she came to england and married john william henry tilzey and died in manchester england, mother of about 13 children

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: catherine nolan born born 1900 carlow
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 July 11 12:57 BST (UK) »
Have you a marriage cert for Catherine ?

This would show her father's name and occupation and should help you locate her family on the 1901 and 1911 census - see : http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

also see :  Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline dave taxi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 July 11 13:10 BST (UK) »
not yet am trying to get more info will post as soon as i get some

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 July 11 13:11 BST (UK) »
in case you dont have the marriage - here are the references from FreeBMD :

Quarter/Year : Mar / 1920  
  Registration District : Chorlton (Lancashire)   
  Volume : 8c
  Page : 1582
  Groom : John W H Tilzey
  Bride : Kathleen Nolan       

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 July 11 13:18 BST (UK) »
There's a few Catherine/Kathleen Nolans about the right age on the 1901 census in Co. Carlow, Nolan is quite a common surname in that area. None that seem to be in Carlow town at the time of the 1901 census :

Catherine Nolan, Carlow - 1901 

Kathleen Nolan, Carlow - 1901

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 July 11 13:28 BST (UK) »
found a possibility on the 1911 census - a Nolan family living at Cockpit Lane, Carlow town :

Nolan Household - 1911

Father James, mother Margaret and four children including Catherine age 10. Cockpit lane is located just off the Potato Market

see : Cockpit Lane, Carlow   (OSI Map)
   select the Historic 25" option to see a c1890 map. The red cross is right beside Cockpit Lane.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 July 11 13:35 BST (UK) »
this looks like the same family in 1901 - with a few spelling errors/variations in the transcription - e.g. 'Chaherine'

Nolan household, Cock Pit Lane - 1901

Catherine's age has not been transcribed - but when you look at the Form A, it's entered as 7 months.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline dave taxi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 July 11 13:50 BST (UK) »
this looks like the right family as the pictures i put on the site show cath at 16 and molly (who could be ellen) with her mothers sister, do you know what margraths maiden name was,

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 July 11 14:30 BST (UK) »
It's sometimes possible to work out a maiden surname by checking for possible marriage matches, but there are so many James Nolan marriages in the area that I dont think that's going to work in this case...  I'm also not certain that the 'years married' entered on the 1911 census is accurate - the form has married 12 years so c1899, yet on the 1901 census they have a son Peter age 13, so born c1888...

Probably the best way to try to trace the maiden name, and then the marriage would be to try for a birth cert for one of the children. The most accurate age seems to be the one for Catherine - i.e. about 7 months on census day, which was 31st March 1901. If this is accurate it would mean she was born somewhere around the end of August or beginning of September.

There are two good matches for Catherine/Kathleen's birth on the BMD Index on FamilySearch, and unfortunately one of them  seems to be missing the reference numbers needed to order a research cert from the GRO :

Name: Catherine Nolan
  Registration district:   Carlow
  Event type: Birth
  Quarter and year: Jul-Sep 1900
  Volume : ? / Page: ?

Name: Kathleen Nolan
  Registration district: Carlow
  Event type: Birth
  Quarter and year: Jul-Sep 1900
  Volume: 3 / Page: 295

There are two other Catherine Nolans listed in Carlow registration district during 1900, but both are in the Oct/Dec quarter - so presumably too late for your Catherine.

I think that the 1st one may be the better bet, since that's how her father spelt her name on the census returns. You could try contacting the GRO to see if they will do a search of the Catherine/Kathleen Nolan births during 1900, in Carlow district for you with father's name James. The phone numbers are at the bottom of this page GRO Roscommon, Contact

See :
  Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
  Details included on a Birth Cert

Shane
My Surname Interests