Author Topic: Police Constable  (Read 3028 times)

Offline biffo0161

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Police Constable
« on: Friday 08 July 11 20:26 BST (UK) »
I was wondering where I could trace records of an Abel Seed b 0ctober 1852 in Warrington. He is listed in the 1881 census as living at 13 Bridgewater Street, Warrington with his wife Elizabeth and children William and Esther and his profession/trade is listed as Police Constable. Is there somewhere I can trace his record in the constabulary?
Thanking you in anticipation.

Brian Carter.
Carter family from Warrington/Salford/Levenshulme/Stockport  Adshead family from Etchells/Stockport and Wray family from Wilderspool/Salford

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Police Constable
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 July 11 21:29 BST (UK) »
Police records search; This database provides a list of names of police officers, particularly those who served with the Lancashire County Constabulary from the force's inception in 1840 up to 1925.
See http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/education/record_office/records/policesearch.asp

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 July 11 22:26 BST (UK) »
I was wondering where I could trace records of an Abel Seed b 0ctober 1852 in Warrington. He is listed in the 1881 census as living at 13 Bridgewater Street, Warrington with his wife Elizabeth and children William and Esther Brian Carter.

1881 the children are William age 6 and Anne age 2
can't see Esther??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline biffo0161

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 July 11 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzard, yes I know it says Anne aged 2 on the 1881 census, but she was christened Esther Anne in 1878  and was my Grand Aunt. Whether this was down to mistranscribing (a common fault) or laziness I know not, but she was Esther to all the family.

Brian Carter.
Carter family from Warrington/Salford/Levenshulme/Stockport  Adshead family from Etchells/Stockport and Wray family from Wilderspool/Salford

Offline biffo0161

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 July 11 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Stan. Thanks for the link, but there is no Abel Seed listed for the years listed (1840-1925). Any other ideas?

Brian Carter.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 July 11 14:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzard, yes I know it says Anne aged 2 on the 1881 census, but she was christened Esther Anne in 1878  and was my Grand Aunt. Whether this was down to mistranscribing (a common fault) or laziness I know not, but she was Esther to all the family.

Brian Carter.

Ithought you were going to post  the 1878 birth

I think you will find Esther Annie Seed 1878 died in infancy

Birth reg
Esther Annie Seed
Mar qtr 1878
Warrington
8c 113
Death reg
Esther Annie Seed
age 0
Mar qtr 1878
Warrington
8c 199

there is however a birth reg

Esther Annie Seed
Mar qtr 1879
Warrington
8c 224

maybe the 1878 Esther Annie was of the same parents -she died and so the next daughter was named Esther Annie - they could have used her middle name because of this.

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 July 11 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Stan. Thanks for the link, but there is no Abel Seed listed for the years listed (1840-1925). Any other ideas?

Brian Carter.

Have you checked Abel Seed in other census ??
He only seems to have been a police constable in 1881 census??
In later census he is a wire cleaner
So that narrows the timescale

Have you any of the children's birth certs - his occupation on those and on his marriage cert could narrow the timescale more
Suz

Offline Priscilla

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 July 11 14:55 BST (UK) »
FreeBMD have this possible death listed:

Death Registration: Second Quarter 1920
SEED Abel - Age 67 - Warrington - Vol 8c - Page 263

It may well be worth contacting the following:
The Curator
The Museum of Policing in Cheshire
County Police Office
Arpley Street
Warrington WA1 1LQ
Tel: 01244 615803
email: Curator@MuseumofPolicinginCheshire.org.uk

Eccles (Hoylake / Exeter / Plymouth)
Hicks (Devonport, Plymouth)
Grafton (Exeter, Devon)
Harris (Marazion, Cornwall)
Collard (Yeovil, Somerset)
Johns (Devonport, Plymouth)
Lyle (Bude, Cornwall)

Offline biffo0161

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 July 11 15:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the replies. I have no access to later censuses, so I'm not sure of his profession in later years. That's a strange career move from Constable to Wire Cleaner unless he was invalided out of the force for some reason. I will email the curator of The Policing in Cheshire Museum and see if he can shed any light on the matter.
With regard to Esther Annie Seed, thank you Suzard for pointing out my mistake, and I think you are possibly right on the death of the 1st daughter and renaming of the 2nd.
Once again,thanks to all.

Brian Carter.