Author Topic: Heathfield Haffenden Hunters ...anyone out there??  (Read 20398 times)

Offline rosas84

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Heathfield Haffenden Hunters ...anyone out there??
« Reply #18 on: Monday 11 July 11 17:49 BST (UK) »
Trying to sort through the information, a fair amount to process... but better more than none!  ;D

OH,has ANOTHER line, Greatgrandmother changed her name,Greatgrandparents never married.Greatgrandmother confessed to a daughter her real name.I spend a small fortune on Certs,but if need must !!!!!!!!!!!!! SO on Grandfathers Birth Cert his Mum gave a Fictious Name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Omega, was this in reference to something written on one of the Haffenden records you found? Or something you found in relation to your research? I love finding little amendments to census entry's, little clues that people must have felt strongly about ...such as putting down a false name!

Roy - I think that is probably a good idea, or he had started a new family with Elizabeth, wanted to make some room for his ne family and perhaps these two caused him a bit or agro! Although I'm trying not to tarnish someones character without good supporting evidence  :)

Now I am home so I've been able to look at the documents I've got. I have the birth cert for Caroline (who it would seem is the only one who does not have dads surname as a middle name). I have just noticed that Sarah Ann was only 15 when she was born, so essentially she was a baby machine. I need to check who she might have been living with in 1873, if there is the possibility her father is not George (Snr).

I believe that George Haffenden remarried by 1894, but he started having more children shortly after Sarah Ann's death as I've found him and 'wife' Elizabeth in the 1891 census with a child of 3 and another of 1.

All of Sarah Ann's children (bar Caroline who is last seen 1891 in a reform school in Hampstead) moved to Bromley in Kent in time for the 1911 census.

Thanks for all your great finds, I couldn't wait to leave work to read them all properly and have a think!

Evenden/Haffenden - Sussex (Bromley, London from 1900)
Sharwood/Sherwood - Sussex (Eastbourne, Brighton)
Edwards - Downe, Penshurst, Southborough
Jenner - Kent
Sawyer - Downe, Kent
Brooks - Kent/Sussex

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 11 July 11 18:17 BST (UK) »
Re:   I have just noticed that Sarah Ann was only 15 when she (Caroline) was born, so essentially she was a baby machine.
I agree she was a baby machine, but can I correct you on your maths, or point out another porkie being told by one of your ancestors. 
Sarah Evenden died 9 Apr 1885, and it was said her age then was 34 [therefore born 1851]. 
Alternatively, the 1881 census has her as 28 [therfore born 1853] 
But the only Sarah Ann Sharwood/Sherwood/Shearwood born around then had her birth registered in Brighton in 1855, and this is supported by the 1861 census.

So when Caroline was born in 1872-1873, Sarah may have been aged somewhere between 17 and 22.   I tried to find who Sarah was living with in 1871 to see how old she professed to be then, but there is no one of her surname listed.  Would her mother (who you should find on the 1861) have also moved in with a new partner and adjusted her surname to suit, or was Sarah in some sort of corrective institution?      Roy G

Offline rosas84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 11 July 11 18:44 BST (UK) »
Hmm I'll have to look into that Roy, I have so far failed to find her in the 1871 census but I haven't tried looking to see if she was with other family...

I have found that George's parents - George and Philadelphia Havenden are living in Arlington Cottages in Willingdon in 1871 which is where Caroline was born 2 years later as per birth cert, which also has mums age as 15, which is what I was looking at when I posted about her age, you are right to correct me I readily admit my maths is shocking! :)

Jenner - Kent
Sawyer - Downe, Kent
Brooks - Kent/Sussex

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 11 July 11 18:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Amy

I was referring to My husbands Greatgrandmother.Long story.

I have found another son of George`s & Sarah Ann.
Baptised Privately
Harry Moses Evenden
8 Sept 1883
Dad,Bricklayer.

omega

PS,still looking for John & Alfred`s baptisum
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 11 July 11 19:02 BST (UK) »
Harry Moses did`nt survive.
 Birth & Death registered Sept 1883 :(

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline snowyw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 11 July 11 20:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Omega, we meet again!
Amy, this is no use to you at the moment ..... but when you sort this lot out, maybe.
My grandmothers cousin May Pearson b c1896 married an Albert Haffenden.  I have a picture of their wedding in 1921.  I have not bought their marriage certificate, so know no more about Albert.  I don't know his age or parentage - should you ever discover a link, I should be very interested.  ;)
I'm not young enough to know everything.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosas84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 11 July 11 21:07 BST (UK) »
No trace of an Albert yet in my tangled mess of a family  :) I'll keep my eyes open for you, if you get any more info on him then let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Jenner - Kent
Sawyer - Downe, Kent
Brooks - Kent/Sussex

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 11 July 11 21:27 BST (UK) »
i do have a haffenden somewhere in my tree although not directly connected
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 06:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Amy.  Hope you had a good evening mulling over the findings.
Re Caroline
You mentioned in past correspondence that you had a gut feeling that whilst Caroline was Sarah Sharwood's daughter, she may not have been George's.  Her delayed baptism in 1883 does list her with Evenden as a middle name, but the 1881 census shows her middle name began with an S not an E or H.  (note her 3 siblings had an H for Haffenden)  As you say you have a copy of her birth cert, what middle name did she have on that?  I ask because illegitimate births frequently had the family surname of the father inserted into that position. 

re the Sharwoods
I stress I only have the index to the 1861 Brighton census so you will have to check the following out with the more detailed original. 
It looks as though Sarah's parents were Caroline Sharwood (born Shoreham 1829) and her toy boy husband George born Brighton 1836.  George and Caroline (nee Kent) married in Brighton in June quarter 1854, and Sahah Ann arrived in the March quarter of 1855. 
*note It may be just coincidence but FreeBMD has two births registered in this quarter, one of a Sarah Ann Sharwood, the other of a Sarah Ann Kent.

The 1861 census index also shows Sarah had siblings George (1856) and Fanny (1859). 
A grandfather, (William Sharwood b 1811) may also have been living with them.
Note these family names, George, Caroline & William repeat later.

My 1871 Brighton census index shows a George SHERWOOD b 1836 now living with an ANN born 1833. 
With him are son George and dtr Fanny but no Sarah.   
Questions:  Where's Sarah and what happened to former wife Caroline?

The probable answer to Sarah's missing mother Caroline is she died in Brighton in 1868, even though the death registration I found said she was 32.  That is followed by a Brighton marriage of a George William Sharwood to an Ann Pearcey in 1869, which would seem to match up with that death and the new wife found on the 1871 census.

Roy G