Author Topic: Heathfield Haffenden Hunters ...anyone out there??  (Read 20401 times)

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Heathfield Haffenden Hunters ...anyone out there??
« Reply #36 on: Friday 15 July 11 09:05 BST (UK) »
Sorry Roy,i was`nt getting at you.

omega

Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 15 July 11 11:21 BST (UK) »
Didn't think you were Omega.  Following family in conjunction with local history has caused me to have a matter of fact approach to the most complex domestic matters.  I only wish some computer programes could also handle trees showing the grand parents when cousins marry or where fathers father their daughter's child.  Roy G

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 15 July 11 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy
On Family Tree Maker I use the "merge" of 2 persons for cousins who marrry.  I usually delete one factor such as birthdate (making a note first ::) to ensure I know which is which and reinstate it later!

Haven't had to deal with th e 2nd problem!

Cheers
Dale
PS
Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults in adultery?
HUNTS: Fairy, Ding, Scotney, Swinton, Burgess, Brace
BEDS: Farey, Fairy,  Young, Rootham, Gell, Wildman, Cooper. Deighton, Flavel.
NORTHANTS: Hills, Mobbs, Twelftrees,
DERBY: Fairey,
LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WATFORD HERTS; Burgess, Williams
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,
WORCS: Callow, Lowe

Offline rosas84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 16 July 11 16:28 BST (UK) »
HI,

Apologies for not checking back here for a couple of days, the tail end of my working week was pretty manic.

Omega, that looks like a good find, I had wondered where she had got to in 1871!

Roy thanks for your interesting thoughts, I'm certainly not 'precious' about my ancestors, there are illegitimacies all over the shop and rather her be a lady of the night in order to feed and survive, than die without having children, or I wouldn't be here!  ;D

I have her death as 'intestinal obstruction 8 days - Parturition 4 days' I believe that means she died in child birth, which ties in with the birth of James Evenden who subsequently died shortly after his mother.

On one of the birth certificates (John's) underneath her name is 'a hawker' so imagine they were not a rich family....

I've ordered some more certificates, so I'm waiting to find out what they say, I always get excited when the certificate confirms something. I know £10 isn't really that expensive but with the amount I have to buy to firm up my ancestral beliefs it may take me a while to be able to afford it....

Interestingly I noticed that on John's death certificate his son's name is listed as Shurwood, meaning that he never fully took on his fathers surname and passed that down to his children. It is the mothers surname which has been passed down. Having had a quick look on one of my subscriptions it would seem that his children are all named Shurwood rather than Evenden/Haffenden. Even though in the 1911 census they are listed as Haffenden's....they do like to keep me on my toes! :)
Evenden/Haffenden - Sussex (Bromley, London from 1900)
Sharwood/Sherwood - Sussex (Eastbourne, Brighton)
Edwards - Downe, Penshurst, Southborough
Jenner - Kent
Sawyer - Downe, Kent
Brooks - Kent/Sussex

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 21:59 BST (UK) »
Good evening,
Spotted your request for info on Haffendens.
Try the following for a big bunch of them; (www.devon-mitchells.com). Click on surnames, Stephens, Stephens Amos Henry then ancestors. When the tree comes up scroll down and follow back from Harriet (born 1854) to James (born 1708). Hold on red arrow for children, click on yellow for next generation. They certainly had big families and some wonderful names.
Good hunting John
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Stovepipe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Daddy Stovepipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 10:07 BST (UK) »
Good evening,
Spotted your request for info on Haffendens.
Try the following for a big bunch of them; (www.devon-mitchells.com). Click on surnames, Stephens, Stephens Amos Henry then ancestors. When the tree comes up scroll down and follow back from Harriet (born 1854) to James (born 1708). Hold on red arrow for children, click on yellow for next generation. They certainly had big families and some wonderful names.
Good hunting John

Fell at the first hurdle: "Sorry, the website www.devon-mitchells.com cannot be found".
Census information is Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Stovepipe,

Well spotted, don't know why I put .com it should be .co.uk Just been on there so it still exists.

John
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline bucgad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 16 August 12 18:25 BST (UK) »
I have just worked out that someone who married into my husband's family should be a Haffenden from Heathfield but his surname got changed to Avender.
I will read the other posts on this thread but I am in contact with a living descendant of this line who will be interested in whatever we can find.
James E Avender/Evenden appears to be the son of George b 1820 Heathfield and Philadelphia who I think are the same family that Rosa is researching.
TUDGEY,BUCKLE,WILTSHIRE,OTHEN,WITT,GRANT,ELDRIDGE,ALDRIDGE-Hampshire
ROBERTS,COMPTON,ROBBINS,COWDRY-Wiltshire

Offline tup1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 19 August 12 19:58 BST (UK) »
:) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Hi
 First of all let me thank bucgad for getting in touch with me about the Haffenden/Avender connection we were in touch a few years ago and very much appreciate all the help given to me then and now.

Through trawling through all the info on here I have been looking through my paperwork to try and tie it up to connect up to the amazing information you have all found.Very difficult because of the name changes.
This is what I have in regards to my Gt Gt Grandad James Avender with help from your info included.

James Enos Haffenden bap.Jul'Sept qtr 1855 Hailsham Sussex 2B.57

1861.RG09/566 F 42.P12
Down as James E Evenden living Park Farm  Cottages.Park Farm Rd Willingdon Eastbourne Sussex

1871 RG10/1038.F.52.P8
Down as Enock Havenden living Arlington Cottages Willingdon Eastbourne Sussex.

1881 RG11/1252.F.50.P24
Down as James Avender living 4 North Camp  Aldershot,Hut K Line,Military in North Camp Aldershot Hampshire.
he was single aged 24.
In our possesion we have his Army Book with all his army career on it BUT the information of his parents names are slightly different to the ones on the census.
He has put down his Next of Kin as Father & Mother . George and MARY? Avender Brothers&sisters names George Uda(Uda not clear)
(Gid young)not clear
Mary
dated 31 Jan 1875.

Hope you can follow this and if I have got it wrong you are very welcome to correct me.
I have a lot of information after 1881 when he was living in Grantham.

Kathy