Author Topic: Heathfield Haffenden Hunters ...anyone out there??  (Read 20431 times)

Offline tup1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Heathfield Haffenden Hunters ...anyone out there??
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

To complete James Avenders background from 1881 onwards.

In 1881.
James married Mary Ellinor Perry/Ellen Perry 27 Jan 1881 Farnborough Hartley Wintney Hampshire.

In 1881.
Whilst James was a soldier Mary gave birth to a little boy in May and he sadly died 30 July 1881 in Grantham they were living 5 Commercial Rd Grantham.

In 1885.
James & Hellen lived in Marston Lincolnshire He was a brickmaker.Their daughter Ruth Myrtle Elizabeth(My Grandmother) was born 21 April 1885.She died 1958 Nottingham.

In 1891.
James/Hellen & daughter Ruth Myrtle Elizabeth lived 3 Station Rd North Bexhill.James was a Brickmaker.
RG12/ 767 F 40 P20.

In 1901.
James /Hellen & daughters Ruth Myrtle Elizabeth & Myrtle b c1888 Bexhill Sussex Myrtle died 15 Nov 1975 Grantham.Lived Kites Nest Cottage St Marks Bexhill.James was a brickmaker.
RG13/874 F.114 P.15

In 1911.
James/Hellen & daughters Melby(?Myrtle)b.1899 Bexhill & Kathleen b.1903 Bexhill lived 4 Springfield Rd Grantham.

In 1924-29.
James & Ellen lived 79 Springfield Road Grantham

In 1929-35.
They lived Willoughbys Mill,Manthorpe Rd Grantham

In 1939.
They lived 7 Rutland Street Grantham until their deaths James 15 Aug 1949 & Mary Ellen Dec 1953.
James was buried in the grave of his Son in Law Samuel Topham who died 1944.

Mary Ellen's christian name kept being changed but she died using the name Ellen.

So sadly the Avender surname is no longer in Grantham :( :( :( :(.

Kathy

Offline haffenden45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 01 September 17 15:43 BST (UK) »
Well a little late, but my Great Grandfather Richard was born in Heathfield, and moved to Paddock Wood in Kent.  I am still in Kent having settled down from my globetrotting expat days, and researching my family history.

Offline tup1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 02 September 17 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hi, Welcome to Rootschat have you any information such as his date of birth, his parents marriage or any other information that might help us to find him?
Kathy

Offline haffenden45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 02 September 17 18:23 BST (UK) »
I sure do! My Gt G'father Richard was born in 1836. Married Elizabeth Blunt and moved to Brenchley, nr Paddock Wood (just behind the Poet's where my neighbour Petrus is the chef).  My Grandfather Henry trained at the Blunt butcher shop in Paddock Wood, before opening a shop in Deptford, and then working for South Eastern Railways at London Bridge.  After he retired he took over the Queen's Head put on Queen Street, Brenchley.

Some of the Haffendens of Tenterden moved to Heathfield to look after lands aquired through marriage and inheritance.

Does this tie in to your research?

B Rgds

Ray Haffenden

Offline tup1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 03 September 17 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but have been out celebrating our sons birthday.
Up to now I have not found a connection to my research but that is not to say there is not as the Haffenden name is very large.
Have you found any of your Gt Grandads background on census ie 1841etc? I have found some via Find My Past site but did not want to duplicate any which you already have.

Regards

Kathy

Offline EJJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 04 March 19 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am interested in your statement that some Haffendens moved from Tenterden to Heathfield.  I am trying to connect Kemp's from Cranbrook, Hawkhurst and Heathfield.  My Heathfield Kemp's descend from Haffendens, and Tenterden is very near Cranbrook. This could be the key!
Any info you can share in this would be appreciated.
Hope to have three posts soon so you can message me directly!