Author Topic: Heathfield Haffenden Hunters ...anyone out there??  (Read 20399 times)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Heathfield Haffenden Hunters ...anyone out there??
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 July 11 07:42 BST (UK) »
Re Omega's great find
Presumablythe Birth of James Evenden was only REGISTERED 22 Apr 1885, Dad labourer, (Abode 20, Nonparrell) for his MOTHER Sarah Evenden must have died in childbirth on 6 Apr, to be buried Eastbourne St Marys on 9 Apr 1885.  Her death was regrettably followed by her infant son James, aged 4 WEEKS, on 4 May 1885     

Roy G

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 July 11 07:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Roy :)

Info from SFHG.

OH has some VERY Very Complicated family ie The Eatons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Learnt a lot from them as well  other lines. ToThink the unthinkable

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 July 11 10:27 BST (UK) »
In endevouring to find out what happened to the baptism of their son George, I made another discovery.  The couple had their first legitimate son, Harry Moses Evenden, baptised 8th Sept 1883, but he too died soon after birth.

As for George born c1875, he should also have been baptised on the same date as his earlier born siblings, which presumably followed his parents' eventual marriage.  But was he overlooked or had he also died by then, and if dead, under what surname was that death registered?    Roy G

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 July 11 12:39 BST (UK) »
My mistake,1881,sorry. ::)

It was the 1891 census the boys were with there Auntie & Uncle

omega
Pembrokeshire
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline rosas84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 July 11 12:57 BST (UK) »
This is very exciting, although I admit I am also confused.

First of, its great that you've found William, I couldn't find his birth cert but knew he existed from speaking with Nan, and finding his WW1 enlistment papers.

Its interesting that only William and Caroline were baptised, I wonder why George, John and Alfred weren't?

I have the birth certificates for Caroline, John and one other (name eludes me at present) but they are all named ..... Evenden. But father is not noted, could it be telling that the children are still named after their father's family?

Sarah Ann did die in or after child birth, she was in labour for 4 days! I didnt know that the child survived, even if only for 4 weeks. It sounds like they had a sad couple of years after marrying.

The Sharwoods seem to be an 'interesting' family, having spoken to another rootschat member who is also researching the same family, it seems that they were not particularly esteemed within his family and there was also apparently a murder.  :o

Im confused about the Lying about the surname thing, could you explain again please. I'm probably just being a bit dim but im lost with who is who  ;D.

Thanks for all your help.
Evenden/Haffenden - Sussex (Bromley, London from 1900)
Sharwood/Sherwood - Sussex (Eastbourne, Brighton)
Edwards - Downe, Penshurst, Southborough
Jenner - Kent
Sawyer - Downe, Kent
Brooks - Kent/Sussex

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 11 July 11 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Amy

With regards to Lying.I was trying to explain,not very well ,that some of our Ancestors,for whatever reason changed their names,ages or birth place.

One of my Husbands Greatgrandmothers,was who we thought  was Mary Ann Bishop (maiden name )BUT after a few years of searching & getting help from another Forum,it was discoved her name was Charity Campbell (maiden name ) All finally proved with Certs.Now my head is spinning :).

Another Greatgrandmother had a daughter before she married and gave the daughters second christian name the surname of the chap she married a few years later.
Hope this makes sense.
omega

Pembrokeshire
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 11 July 11 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Amy
Yes we do seem to have thrown rather a lot at you all at once, so you will need time to take it all in, but bouncing thoughts, ideas and findings off each other is often the way it all works out.

Now here is a speculative idea (not fact)
Omega finding John and an Alfred with the Birds in 1891 suggests that the family may have got too large for George to manage on his own, so the Birds took some of the children off his hands.  That may also help explain the missing baptisms, for it could be that Sarah's health was so bad, the children were split up several years before her demise, and only those she and George kept got baptised.
(To Omega:  How old was Alfred in 1891 so we can try and find his birth?)

Roy G

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 11 July 11 14:24 BST (UK) »
Alfred was 9

omega

Pembrokeshire
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 11 July 11 15:27 BST (UK) »
From FreeBMD:   Evenden Alfred, born Sept quarter 1881, Eastbourne,    GRO Ref 2b 66 

Now forgive me for siding with Sarah, but it does seem that the constant reproduction of children suggests George Haffenden/Evenden the bricklayer, didn't give a monkeys about the weakening status of his partner!!!   Roy G