Author Topic: John Wynne als Salisbury will 1676  (Read 8294 times)

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: John Wynne als Salisbury will 1676
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 July 11 04:47 BST (UK) »

... As you say "brother" William ap John could have been a half brother or brother in law.    Sorry if I raised false hopes regarding Hugh (d1661).  ... the brick walls are as strong as ever :-\

:'( Oh well . . . did rather expect that would be the answer,  though hope springs eternal.  Somewhere there simply must be a revealing deed or will mention,  or a chancery suit! :)

Just tried fishing for (Salisbury OR Salsbury OR Salusbury OR Salesbury OR Salbri) /10/ (Clocaenog OR Cyffylliog OR Gyffylliog) in the ISYS:web pond,  but the net still comes up pretty empty.

Rol

(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 31 July 11 08:32 BST (UK) »
I have been doing some research into the Bryneglwys area recently which is close to your recent subject and noticed a few "Salsbury" references(burials) in the PRs in the late 1600s/early 1700s,including a  couple of Hughs.Are you aware of these?Are they likely to be of relevance?
Modification:
I've now had a chance to trawl through the registers(1662-1812)(copyright Clwyd Family History Society)and this is what I can find in case it is of interest:-
Marriages-none
Baptisms
June18 1680  Margaret        Peter Salisbury and Jane
July3     1681 Catherine       Hugh Salisbury         (not listed)

Burials
Jan17 1673     Richard Salsbury
July 7  1679     Hugh son of Pirce Salsbury
Feb12 1684    Pierce Salsbury
Jan31 1706    Thomas Prichard Salsbury
May 30 1732   Jane  w/o Hugh Salysbury
June19  1733  Hugh Salysbury

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 August 11 06:47 BST (UK) »

Hello Roger -- and thanks for posting those Salusbury/Salesbury extracts from Bryneglwys PR.  It is good to have them available for reference online.

I cannot immediately place them,  but I doubt that they were from the Meyarth branch,  or their cousins who for a couple of generations owned Pont y Go(e) in Llanelidan (later known as [Plas] Nantclwyd).*

So who might they have been?  Maybe connected to the mystery Hugh of Clocaenog (will 1661 -- see the Anne Salesbury thread).  But here is another possibility.

Although most of the Salesburys who settled around the top end of the Vale of Clwyd (Clocaenog, Gyffylliog, Llanfwrog, Llanelidan, Gwyddelwern, etc.) seem to have been younger sons deriving from the Bachymbyd/Rug line -- whence the source of their land and the "e" usually preferrred as the second vowel in their surnames -- there was also a smaller group in the same area who descended from the branch of the family based at Plas Isa,  Llanrwst.  Robert of Plas Isa acquired some land in or about Llanelidan from the Bishop of Bangor in 1492,  and then in 1522 settled some or all of it on a younger son of his called Hugh (who came to live there -- and was still alive in 1570 but dead by 1582).

Deeds relating to this Llanelidan branch are mixed in with the NLW Crosse of Shaw Hill collection.  (For those interested,  the whole schedule is available here from the NLW's ISYS site as a lightweight word.doc download -- only about 630 KB.)  In the Welsh pedigrees they are to be found on Salesbury sheet 7 in Peter Bartrum's WG2 compendium.  Bartrum follows p.84 of Gruffydd Hiraethog's NLW Peniarth MS 176 in showing Hugh's younger sons as Thomas,  Robert and Roger -- with Roger probably a clergyman.  NLW Wynnstay MS. 144 p.731 omits that Roger,  but shows a Roger as a son of Thomas's.

The document schedule does indeed include several refs. to a Revd. Roger from 1582.  But then it also goes on to lend a hand to the Wynnstay 144 version of the pedigree (making one suspect the existence of two Rogers) -- in No. 640,  a bond dated 14 Jan. 1599/1600,  one of the parties is named as

Roger ap Thomas ap Hughe Salesbury of Talybidwal, hundred of Yale, co. Denbigh gent.

(A little warning if doing a word search in the schedule as presently offered for download -- like most of the schedules accessible via ISYS it has apparently been re-keyed from the printed original,  and the copy-typist has inverted two letters and written the place name as Talybiwdal.)

I have no information to show whether the people mentioned in Bryneglwys PR later in the 17th c. were descendants of this Roger Salesbury of Talybidwal -- but the idea might merit further exploration.  At the back of my mind there is also a vague recollection that the place may have been the subject of some chancery litigation;  but I fear that the ref. would be not be very easily re-discoverable.

Rol

* Wynnstay 144 p.727 incorporates a nice little potted history of Nantclwyd's early owners -- with a date helpfully attached:
Foulk Salesbury [ap Thomas Vychan Salesbury of Llanelidan ap Piers] … Who together with his posterity sold Pont y go to Symon Parry, which Symon dis~herited his eldest son Thomas and made his second son William owner of Pontygoe, whose sole daughter and heir by her father's consent is married to Eubule Thelwall, 2'nd son to John Thelwall of Llanrhaiadd'r and Plascoch, 1652.

(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)