Author Topic: Garlands Mental Asylum  (Read 7410 times)

Offline alkari

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Garlands Mental Asylum
« on: Saturday 09 July 11 13:33 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother Fanny Jane Jeffery (nee Gardiner) was a resident at Garlands from around 1921 until her death in 1947. I have contacted Carlisle Records Office who appear to have details but cannot release them without NHS permission. I have requested this but have been refused under the 100 year rule. Any ideas on how to proceed? Any ideas where she might have been buried? She was originally from Whitehaven. I am based in Australia so have no way of visiting any local sites and would appreciate it if anyone could do so.

Offline Jos, Whitehaven

• I am sorry but I have turned off all notifications to my topics
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Garlands Mental Asylum
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 July 11 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hello alkari,

(a) The Carlisle Records Office "100-year" rule to access Garlands Hospital records will be correct. On one occasion while the Carlisle Records office was still located in The Castle I was allowed to look at the register record of someone who died there in 1902 (i.e. over 100 years ago). This was a 2 x Gt Grandmother of mine. On the other hand, requesting 1920s or 1930s for someone else was not allowed.

(b) The Garlands Hospital record I looked at was an extremely thorough record (but somewhat grim). Much of it was recorded day by day and even hour by hour. There was even a photograph of each patient. So some time between 2021 and 2047 it might be worth you enquiring again ........!

(c) The relative whose record I was able to look at had been sent to Garlands from Whitehaven, similar to your Gt Grandmother. After the death she was returned 'back home' for burial in Whitehaven Cemetery. Patients who died seemed to be returned to their home patch for burial.

To find my relative's grave I contacted the Whitehaven Cemetery keeper. He was able to give me the grave reference and location (no charge - and very happy to do so). You might try telephoning or sending an e-mail to Copeland Borough Council to see if they can tell you one way or the other where your Gt Grandmother is buried. However, I have a feeling the records for enquiries about pre-190s burials have been sent to the Cumbria County Archives Office at Whitehaven. If so, the best place to obtain the information about the grave location may be to contact the County Archives Office rather than Copeland Borough Council.

Twenty six years or so was a long time to be in Garlands Hospital. It was believed to be a well run place. 

I hope this has helped you a little.

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 00:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Alkari

Yes there's a good chance it was a Whitehaven burial, but if not, I've researched a couple of folk who've been buried oin Carlisle cemetery instead of going back home.  Maybe it depended whether there was enough money or whether there were relatives to take them home and bury them.

Garlands was the original Victorian establishment but in more re cent years xince practices have changed much of the original estate has become housing and there is a more modern NHS establishment mostly in more modern, smaller buildings with  various functions - admin, physio, various mental health services etc collectively known as Carlton after the nearest village.

Whichevert place your relative is buried, it woulkd be pretty quick to find the entry in the register if you have a date.

Best wishes

Emms
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline alkari

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 01:25 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the responses. I do have a date of death (4 April 1947) and my grandmother lived in Whitehaven at the time so will start there. I recall visiting Whitehaven cemetary as a child (to "visit uncle Bill") but may not have realised we were also visiting other gravesites.

I believe Fanny Jane went to Garlands following the death of her husband Richard Jeffery in 1921 in a mining accident at Ullcoats Mine, Beckermet and her children were then dispersed. Without medical records, I cannot confirm the actual date. I will keep the notes on file to follow up in the distant future!

My grandmother, being the youngest, went to live with an aunt and uncle (am still investigating which one) while the others went out into the world, the girls into service, the boys off to work (or in one case shipped to Australia). Until finding her death record, I had thought it was a short stay and the children were orphaned.

Offline bobgraham

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hi alkari. If you go to dmm.org uk - the site of the durham mining museum and at the left click on mines and then click on U for ullcoats then scroll down, you will find richards death, a newspaper article and finally a family search box inviting you to talk to them. Good luck. bob
Cumberland: Graham and Greenop
Yorkshire: Altass
Scottish Isles: McLean

Offline alkari

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 July 11 00:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bob. I think I submitted the record after I found out about Richard's death but hadn't realised that there was a newspaper article - perhaps they found it after I submitted the record and out two and two together? I will definitely investigate.

Offline alkari

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 12:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Bob. I think I must have overlooked the newspaper article last time. Any idea what a "robbery" digging is? Obviously it was approved by the mine owners and seemed to be acceptable to the inquest.

I also have information from (very) distant family connection that Fanny Jane may be buried in Egremont. This would correlate with her birthplace (Croft Terrace, Egremont) and I believe that her sister married a clogger based in Egremont so the connection may have been maintained. My contact isn't based locally. Does anyone know how I can obtain records of Egremont graves?

Offline bobgraham

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 13:50 BST (UK) »
Google particularly unhelpful with robbery mining but maybe an email to durham might help. I'm guessing that it is digging out between the useful seams so what they dig is robbed out. But you now have Alf Garnett as a brother in law so you know he had a sister or his wife was a Garnett not a Gardiner. Oh what fun! I had similar superb records from my ggf lighting a candle down the pit and blowing himself up but he didn't get such a good write up. This is how I knew about the dmm site.bob
Cumberland: Graham and Greenop
Yorkshire: Altass
Scottish Isles: McLean

Offline alkari

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 00:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bob. I have a fairly full record of the brothers and sisters of Fanny Jane, so the addition of a brother in law is very useful! It is also interesting as the name doesn't correlate with the name of the person  who later purchased Fanny's grave, also an Alf but a Gardiner. (There is currently a resource in the Cumberland section to lookup Egremont graves).

My grandmother was effectively orphaned by the accident as her mother went to Garlands sometime after. One of my interests is who took her in - I know from family hearsay that it was an aunt and uncle!

And what a fantastic name!