Author Topic: John Munro  (Read 10248 times)

Offline axecalibre

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Munro
« on: Saturday 09 July 11 15:31 BST (UK) »
Help, please,

I am trying to find Margaret Munro, her father was John Munro born Torres, Elgin, and mother Mary McBain born Inverness,  married 1877, Torres, Elgin. 

John Munro was born 1859, Mary McBain 1858, found them on 1881 census with son Alexander born 1880, Living 2nd floor, High street, Torres but despite having purchased 4 lots of credits cannot find any trace of them after that date.

John Munro was a Tobacco pipe maker

Daughter Margaret, according to her marriage 11 th August 1911 to Robert Foulis was born 1888, ie aged 23 years old, neither of Her parents are marked as deceased on marriage record.
FOULIS, MOFFAT, Scotland, NZ, Canada
SPENCE-THOMAS, Forest of Dean, Wales, England
ADAIR, Dublin
MAGGS, BULL, Bristol, England, Ireland
ALLEN, London, Bristol
GREEN, Shefford, Beds, Somerset
DURRELL, Wivenhoe
BRIDGMAN, England

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: John Munro
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 July 11 17:12 BST (UK) »
I think you'll find that it's Forres, not Torres.  ;)

The Scotland's People index has a death of a Mary Munro or McBain, aged 77, in 1935. Have you looked at that certificate?

according to her marriage 11 th August 1911 to Robert Foulis was born 1888, ie aged 23 years old

If she was aged 23 on 11 August 1911, she should have been born between 12 August 1817 and 11 August 1888. You need to check both years.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline axecalibre

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 July 11 21:19 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that forfarian, at least know she was alive during my Censi searches. 

Will certainly check out her death certificate to get more details, hopefully it will help with search detailed below.

Mary Munro is the mother of Margaret Munro who married Robert Foulis, and am trying to find trace of Margaret after her marriage in 1911, and census prior to her marriage.
ADAIR, Dublin
ALLEN, London, Bristol
DURRELL, Wivenhoe
BRIDGMAN, England

Offline axecalibre

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 July 11 07:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you again. Forfar, have now found death certificate of Mary Munro and Margaret Foulis, they were listed under their maiden names, strange...

Because they all lived at 11 Jackson Terrace, Aberdeen I also found the 1911 Census return. 

It there should be any Munro family who know anything of Margaret Munro m/s Foulis I would be interested to hear from them.
ADAIR, Dublin
ALLEN, London, Bristol
DURRELL, Wivenhoe
BRIDGMAN, England

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 July 11 11:26 BST (UK) »
have now found death certificate of Mary Munro and Margaret Foulis, they were listed under their maiden names, strange...

Not at all. All deaths of married women in Scotland are (supposed to be) indexed by both their maiden and their married names.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline dhwalt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Help, please,

I am trying to find Margaret Munro, her father was John Munro born Torres, Elgin, and mother Mary McBain born Inverness,  married 1877, Torres, Elgin. 

John Munro was born 1859, Mary McBain 1858, found them on 1881 census with son Alexander born 1880, Living 2nd floor, High street, Torres but despite having purchased 4 lots of credits cannot find any trace of them after that date.

John Munro was a Tobacco pipe maker

Daughter Margaret, according to her marriage 11 th August 1911 to Robert Foulis was born 1888, ie aged 23 years old, neither of Her parents are marked as deceased on marriage record.

An interesting thread - my wife is John Munro's great granddaughter. Her grandfather was William Munro with twin sister Maggie Ann born 1st Sep 1886. You will see them on the 1911 Census return. The later responses are correct Forres - Aberdeen - then Edinburgh for William's family branch.

Regards David

Offline elspeth goar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,its been a while since i read your post,so dont know if still active.
Doing some research.I am grand daughter of William Munro,twin of Maggie Ann. She has changed name to Margaret on wedding and death cert,so took a while to find her.
Just wondering if you are still doing research and would like to share any information.
Hope to hear from you
Elspeth Goar

Offline axecalibre

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 20:58 BST (UK) »
Wow, didn't realise Margaret had a twin brother, have William born year earlier, guess he is the same William or did he die and another William/Margaret born?

Would be interested if you have any info on Margaret's marriage to Robert Foulis, he was a rotten husband to her, a womaniser and con artist - however they did have a son Charles Atkinson Lyle Foulis born 1913 and died 1953, he was a seaman, twice torpedoed during WW2 and died when his ship ss Yew Valley sank between the Thames and Aberdeen.  Charles married Isabella Taylor Lawson in 1944, no children as far as I can see.  Margaret lived 11 Jackson Terrace, Aberdeen, the Lawson family lived at No 9.

Look forward to hearing if you have any further information

Dee
ADAIR, Dublin
ALLEN, London, Bristol
DURRELL, Wivenhoe
BRIDGMAN, England

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 08:39 BST (UK) »
It's quite common for names to change between birth and marriage/death - if you are looking for a Maggie you should always check Margaret, and vice versa.

Likewise Janet/Jessie, Peter/Patrick, Donald/Daniel, Jane/Jean and several other pairs.