Author Topic: Lyall / Thomson on Sanday  (Read 6626 times)

Offline sams mam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lyall / Thomson on Sanday
« on: Sunday 10 July 11 14:48 BST (UK) »
David Lyall, light house keeper on Sanday Island, born 1775, died 1850 Peterhead Aberdeenshire, was married to BARBARA THOMSON, I'm assuming she is from Sanday and am seeking information on her, her family and also on Lyall family though I'm not sure if they were actually from Sanday. Any info appreciated.
Thanks
Sams mam  ;D
Heffernan - Fermoy,Co Cork.
Curtin -Tallow, Co Waterford.
Crowley, Castletownbere, Co Cork
Forbes-Birnie, Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Lyall, Sanday Island Orkney.

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
Re: Lyall / Thomson on Sanday
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 July 11 16:09 BST (UK) »
Erected by DAVID LYALL, Keeper of Start Point Lighthouse, in memory of his beloved spouse BARBRO THOMSON who departed this life 16th February 1837 in the 43rd year of her age. Also two children still-born.

the above memorial inscription is in ladykirk cemetery, sanday

Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 July 11 16:33 BST (UK) »
on the 1841 census at northwall, sanday:
david lyall 65 lighthouse keeper born scotland
david 20
janet 15
mary15
william 10
james 8
simon 6
ann 4

children found so far: andrew 1821, ann 1836, david 1822, helen/mary 1828, james 1833, jannet 1824, jean 1825, john 1820, mary 1828, william 1831 all born sanday ( no record of simons birth! )

david and barbra were married in sanday on 29 june 1819 ( doesnt say she came from sanday just that they were both resident in sanday )

Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott

Offline sams mam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 July 11 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hello akc, Thanks so much for all that information. I'm so excited at discovering an island connection. My parents always thought I was weird, I'd spend my holidays visiting all the islands and light houses round the coast of Ireland - maybe it's just in the blood!

I'm delighted with the help I'm getting on Rootschat, I'm finally making progress on my Family Tree.

Warmest Regards
Sams Mam  ;D

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 July 11 20:08 BST (UK) »
have you looked at www.cursiter.com  barbra is listed as being from sanday with spouse david lyall, you could also try variations of the spelling: lyall, lyell, lyle I,ve found all three while searching for david and barbra

a lot of the lyalls in orkney seem to have come from caithness,might be worth a look!

Offline Fifegirl716

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 March 17 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Sams mam: My great-grandmother was Mary Wilson Thomson (1849-1933) who married David Layall's son, James Alexander Lyall (1832-1874). James and Mary married 18 July 1872. James died at sea aboard the King Leopold, in 1874. James and Mary had two children: James (?1866 -1912) and Edith Marion Forbes Lyall (1874-1966) I am trying to find out about these children. BTW, after Mary was widowed, she married my great-grandfather Malcolm Charles Arthur in 1879.

Offline sams mam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 March 17 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Fifegirl716,

Very interested in your post, though I think David Lyall's son James was born in 1833, anyway I've contacted a cousin four times removed - or whatevery it is when two people share a great Grandfather x 3!!He is better versed on our family tree than I am so I have put your questions to him re James (Jamie) and if he has any answers I'll get back to you.

I hope we have a connection - Always excited to hear about 'distant' relations.
Best Regards
Sams Mam ;D

Offline PipB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 15:48 BST (UK) »
?? Baptism [Scotlands People, Old parish Registers]: LYOL, DAVID; parents JOHN LYOL/JEAN SETON; M; born 22/05/1777; 421/ 10 150; Dairsie [Fife] - a possibility if they named first son for paternal Grandfather & second daughter for maternal grandmother...

However, https://www.ancestrylibrary.com.au/family-tree/person/tree/74840227/person/44307147278/facts says: David LYALL;
¶born 7 March 1794 in Logie Pert, Angus, Scotland;
¶father Robert LYALL, born 1761, Stow, Midlothian
¶mother not known
¶Half brother Robert LYALL born 8 Aug 1797, Angus, Scotland
¶also a brother William, no dates

Amanda Wem on ancestry.commessage boards: [in 2010] […] I can also send you our family tree! I do know that David`s parents were Robert Lyall and Hellen Straiton - they had 5 children including David but am kind of stuck there!!

Therefore: Baptism [Scotlands People, Old Parish Registers] thus gives: LYALL, DAVID; parents ROBERT LYALL/HELLEN STRATON; M; 10/03/1794; 304/ 10 176; Logie Pert [Angus]

MARRIAGE: Lady Kirk, Sanday Register of Baptisms 1745-1819 [OPR 16/2 - on microfiche at Kirkwall Archives]: Marriage of David LYELL of Start Lighthouse and Barbara THOMSON, Resident of this parish, contracted 11 January and married 29 January. Witnesses Andrew THOMSON and Andrew STRANG. [have download of original]

David LYALL Principal Lightkeeper at Start Point ? - 15 Jan 1825; next principal keeper Charles KING, there from 15 Feb 1845-10 May 1854. Assistants in the interum were ? - 10 Apr 1844 - James JACK; and 10 Apr 1844 - 16 Oct 1860 - Alexander Robert WALLACE

3 Nov 1934: David LYALL, Lady inhabitant: one of many parishoners and inhabitants of Lady to sign a petition complaining about minister Rev Walter TRAILL.

Of Start Point when wife buried 1837

1 Apr 1839: David LYALL, Start-point - male head of family [source: Lady Kirk Session Minutes, Orkney Archives ORC/15/3; per transcription <LKS_Ms misc.xls> on computer at Sanday Heritage Centre]

12 Dec 1839: Mr LYALL, proposed by Session to take square seat at pulpit (between 4th and 5th seat from west door) [<LKS_PH pew holders.xls> Sanday Heritage Centre computer]

Wills & Testaments index: Lyall, David; 20/11/1850; lighthouse keeper, Island of Sanday, thereafter at Millbank Cottage near Peterhead; Extract Testamentary Writing; Aberdeen Sheriff Court Wills, SC1/37/27.

AND: Lyall, David; 20/11/1850; Lighthouse keeper at Start Point of Island of Sanday, thereafter at Millbank Cottage near Peterhead; T. 20/11/1850 SC1/37/27/p1685; Aberdeen Sheriff Court Inventories; SC1/36/27

Mimes MANSON said [pers.com. 2018] David was born abt 1776 - this would make him 20 yrs older than his wife - did he have a first marriage before coming to Sanday as light keeper??

If that is true - could David the Lightkeeper be related to 'my' 4-greats-grandmother Margaret LYALL (before 1770-before 1841) who married Pater MILLER and they had at least 8 children on Sanday between 1789-1805.

Offline PipB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lyall & Start Lighthouse history
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 15:48 BST (UK) »
The first beacon to mark the Start Point on the Orkney island of Sanday was an unlit masonry tower, but this beacon proved inadequate as ships continued to be wrecked on the island. At the time Robert Stevenson was engineer to the Northern Lighthouse Board and he decided to transfer the light from the neighbouring island of North Ronaldsay to Start Point. Building work began and the new lighthouse, which is still in existence, was established and first exhibited on 2 October 1806. The original great ball from the top of the first beacon was removed and placed on the old beacon at North Ronaldsay - this can still be seen today.

Start Point was the first Scottish lighthouse to have a revolving light which gave it a unique character making it easily distinguished from other lights. Start Point lighthouse was painted with its black and white vertical stripes around 1915, which makes it a recognisable day mark; it is the only Scottish lighthouse painted in this way.

Disaster struck during the building of Start Point lighthouse when the vessel “Stromness” set off to return the workmen back to Leith. A tremendous storm blew up forcing the “Stromness” back northwards to shelter off Flotta island. During the night the cables broke and she was smashed to pieces on the rocks with the loss of all on board except the cabin boy, who was found clinging to the top of the mast.

Prior to the automation of Start Point in 1962 a Principal Lightkeeper and an Assistant, with their families, lived at the light. The families were almost self sufficient and would have kept cows and sheep at the station. Lightkeeping was a remote, lonely and hard existence. At night each keeper was required to keep a watch in the lightroom to ensure that the light flashed correctly to character. During daytime keepers were engaged in cleaning, painting if necessary and generally keeping the premises clean and tidy. [https://www.nlb.org.uk/lighthouselibrary/lighthouse/start-point/]