Author Topic: Where is Patchwork in Bray? Please.  (Read 10303 times)

Offline dillonking

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where is Patchwork in Bray? Please.
« on: Sunday 10 July 11 20:45 BST (UK) »
On one birth certificate the address is given as Patchwork. Whereabouts would that be. On another birth certificate of the same line of children I also have Mill Lane in Bray. Finally what is the area covered by Little Bray or rather was in the second half of the 19th century? Thanks for any help on that one.
Dublin : King, Burgess, Toole, Martin, Keogh
 Wicklow : Toole, Burgess, , Mc Loughlin, Doyle,  Warren,
Armagh: Reynolds Vallely
Monoghan: Burgess
Keogh. Delgany : Doyle White and possibly McLoughlin
Carlow: Dillon, Delaney
Unknown county: Sweeney and Moran. Sweeneys went to Lpool 1840s and Michael Moran 1820s

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Patchwork in Bray? Please.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 July 11 20:49 BST (UK) »
I can answer part of your query now...  Little Bray is the section of the town in Co. Dublin - i.e. north of the river Dargle.

I'll have a look for the other locations..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 July 11 20:51 BST (UK) »
found another... Mill lane is in Bray, and between Church Tce and the river - see : Mill Lane  (see the 25" c1890 map)

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline dillonking

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 July 11 09:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Shane you always come up trumps and I am beginning to know that town by heart! I was wondering how much it costs to buy the section one is interested in.
Unknown county: Sweeney and Moran. Sweeneys went to Lpool 1840s and Michael Moran 1820s

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 July 11 10:17 BST (UK) »
you mean a section of the OSI map ?

Not sure on the prices - I did try looking at this at one stage to see how it worked and what the options were, but dont remember the details.

Are you certain about the 'Patchwork' address ?

I haven't been able to find anything with that name.... what date is that particular record ?

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline dillonking

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 July 11 10:48 BST (UK) »
1896, Address Patchwork, Bray. This could be Little Bray. The family seemed to move around the area Little Bray - Purcell's Fields, Purcell's Terrace, Mill Lane, Little Bray, Patchwork and then back to Little Bray ending up in Dalton's Lane in 1901. I think you gave me a link to Dalton's Lane Shane but I can't remember where it is now. Could you paste it on here if you have map link please? I wonder if Patchwork could refer to an area of fields around Little Bray? Maybe the local name for the farming area? I know my great grandfather started out as a labourer so he might have been moving around according to the work he managed to find.

Yes I did mean sections of the OS map as I'm only interested in that particular area from Little Bray down to Purcell's Terrace as it was in 1901 and taking in Church Terrace and Herbert Road on the way down!

Once again thanks for your help. By the way do you know when Wicklow burials might be coming to the IFHF site? I wish they would hurry up with Carlow as well! Hahahaha.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 July 11 10:54 BST (UK) »
do you know when Wicklow burials might be coming to the IFHF site? I wish they would hurry up with Carlow as well! Hahahaha.

I think Dalton's Lane was off the main street, and almost opposite St. Kevin's/Connolly Square - I'm sure there's a link somewhere in the previous thread somewhere ... I'll add a copy here

The RC registers for Bray, like many RC records, dont include burials... so civil death records are really the only option.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 July 11 11:03 BST (UK) »
finally found a brief mention of 'Patchwork' on google books - unfortunately is a book with snippet view only - so there's no full access.

Oireachtas. Dáil, Irish Free State. Oireachtas. Dáil - 1943
  ....and Joseph Everard, Liitle Bray, were injured in an accident at Patchwork, Bray, ...

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 July 11 11:12 BST (UK) »
link to the full article on the Oireachtas website :

Dáil Éireann Questions - Bray Auxiliary Fire Service Accident - 1st Dec 1943

Other than 'Patchwork, Bray', It doesn't state specifically state the location, but it sounds like it's in Bray proper, rather than Little Bray, and possibly an open area if it was being used for exercises by the local Fire Service.

Shane
My Surname Interests