Author Topic: DUFFY Aghagah Moyne Co Longford  (Read 13074 times)

Offline science11

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DUFFY Aghagah Moyne Co Longford
« on: Monday 11 July 11 01:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am looking for information on Duffy of Aghagah, Moyne, Co. Longford.  Anyone know anything first hand through family?  I have the census 1901 & 1911 plus the Griffiths info. Having difficulty finding marriage and birth certs in Killoe Parish for Duffy/Reilly for late 1800's.

Thanks a mill

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: DUFFY Aghagah Moyne Co Longford
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 July 11 08:09 BST (UK) »
Which Duffy family are you researching ?
There are several Duffy households in the townland.

The first step is to follow up the census details by searching for a birth cert for one of the children to establish the mother's maiden name. Once you have located this, you can then start a search for the parents marriage  cert, which will give you their father's names and take you a step back.

The townland of Aghagah is in the registration district of Granard, so that's what will be be listed on the BMD Index.

See :  Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline science11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 July 11 17:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Thanks for that.  I have already searched under Granard records but there are so many Duffy's.  The Duffys that I am looking for are specifically in Aghagah, 58 of them in the 1901 census.  The area is under 1/4 sq mile and they were farming the area since at least 1854, so it looks as though they may all be related. 

Every generation of numerous children are all named very common names including, James, Michael, Thomas, Bernard, Patrick, Joseph, John.  There is no female variation of names and only one male variation. The male forename which is uncommon is Farrell, but there are Farrells in each Duffy Family.

Between the 1901 census and 1911 census most the older generation added a few years onto their age, I assume to avail of the pension earlier as the OAP act was introduced in 1908, therefore impossible to know exact DOB as even James Duffy, my great grandfather, a 28yr old  in 1901 who should have been 38 in 1911 was listed as 42 yr old. 

Also, the land maps of the area are divided 1 to 12, some numbers corresponding to less than an acre but the allotment numbers from 1901 and 1911 do not correspond or all the parents/siblings/cousins swapped land holdings which seems highly unlikely.

I can't work out who is related to who in the older generations as some of them had up to 11 children over a 25 year period and what could appear to be a niece or nephew could actually be a brother or sister.

Duffy's are still farming this area of land today, so my reason for posting was in hopes of a related family member to respond as they may have knowledge of who is who.

Thank you again.  I wish I had all that info when I first started my family tree a few weeks ago, I had to learn the hard way.

Best regards.

Offline history79

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 September 11 09:38 BST (UK) »
Have you any first names or other information that may identify the duffy you are looking for, my grandfather was Farrell Duffy from Aghagah and it is said that none of the duffys in Aghagah are not related despite the number of recurring names,  We are looking for a Elenor and Cathy Duffy/McGovern from New York who my father was in touch with until they moved away.

Offline JacquelineCaven

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 January 12 06:38 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping someone may be able to help identify my Duffy/Mulloy ancestors from Longford, I believe.
my grandmother was Annie Mulloy who was born in lancashire and she had a sister called Mary Ellen and a brother called John, her parents were Bridget Duffy and John Mulloy from Longford. Bridget and Johns marriage certificate dated 1890 states that Bridget's father was Bernard Duffy a land agent  (Dec'd ) and Johns father was also John Mulloy an outdoor Labourer. Any help/information would be gratefully apreciated.
Jacqui

Offline science11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: DUFFY Aghagah Moyne Co Longford - Farrell Duffy
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 19:39 BST (UK) »
Hi History79

Sent you a message offline but unsure as to how this works.  We are 2nd cousins - I think.  Farrell Duffy's parents(James and Maggie) moved to Aghagah Moyne Co. Longford from Aughnacliffe, that is why there is no link to the other Duffy's in the area.  Farrell was born in 1909 I think.

Please respond to my offline message with contact details.  I have lots of info for you....here is a little of it....

The story of James & Maggie Duffy, of "The Heather Duffy's"..

Margaret Reilly, known as Maggie, grew up up in Rossduff, County Longford.  After leaving school she worked as a milner in Lynch’s on Pound Street, Arvagh, four miles from Rossduff. Maggie, a young single girl, was promised a dowry of 200 pounds by an elderly female relative on the condition she marry a particular person whom she had never met. 200 pounds would have been an extraordinary amount of money in the 1890's and would have made Maggie a very wealthy woman for her time. When the man she was to marry arrived in the village, she was horrified to see an old man supported by two walking sticks, being helped out of the horse and trap. Within weeks she eloped with James Duffy, a young man whom she may have met at Arvagh fair, thus saving her from a life of misery being married off to an old man. With no dowry or place to live, they were given the family home, a two storey thatched house, in Aughagh by James's parents; Bernard Duffy and Catherine Fitzpatrick-Duffy, (like her daughter-in law, also hailing from Rossduff). Pat an older brother to James, was an agent for Singer and gave them a gift of a sewing machine as their wedding present, allowing Maggie to use her skills as a milner within the home. .

Maggie and James went on to have 11 children and by all accounts lived happily throughout their marriage. James's older brother Michael and Maggie's younger sister Katie lived with them for a period of time and Michael worked on the land with James for over 5 years before emigrating to America. They became known as the Heather Duffys by the local community due to a large tuft of heather growing by their home.  Wild fuchsia grew by the entrance and they had pear, apple and golden egg fruit trees growing at the back of the house. Farming the land, they were completely self sufficient, they had horses, cattle, chickens, pigs and cut turf from a nearby bog to heat their home. Produce would have been traded at the nearby fair at Arvagh, just two and a half miles from the house. Water for the household and farm came from the Moyne well, which today Patrick Duffy, their grandchild, has pumped to his home which is located adjacent to the orginal family house. They would have enjoyed a very high standard of living for the time and their home was in the heart of activity in the community; with the national school, St Mary’s church at Colmcille, a tailor, blacksmith and a general shop called Smith's all in the local area.  .

Sadly, James died young from injuries sustained while attempting to break up a fight. He was hit with one of the boards from the back of a carriage by two of the men involved in the fiight and never recovered. Maggie, broken hearted after James's death became ill, received treatment in Dublin but died shortly after James..

Following their deaths, their oldest child, Katie, then in her early twenties, raised her ten younger siblings, including Thomas and Farrell.  The house which was on the main Longford road at the time, became known as the Ceili House, as nightly Ceili's were held in the home.  People came from miles around to dance, play music and enjoy each other’s company.  Three of James and Maggie's son's became Gardai,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hi History79

Sent you a message offline but unsure as to how this works.  We are 2nd cousins - I think.  Farrell Duffy's parents(James and Maggie) moved to Aghagah Moyne Co. Longford from Aughnacliffe, that is why there is no link to the other Duffy's in the area.  Farrell was born in 1909 I think.

Please respond to my offline message with contact details.  I have lots of info for you....here is a little of it....

New members now need 2 posts to use PM system so History79 may not be able to view and/or reply to you PM. Hopefully they will still have notifications for this thread enabled and soon see your post.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline duffyfarrell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I think I was logged in as History 79 and forgot about it .Sorry I have not replied before this,  As far as I am aware the only Duffy's in the lane I am related to, is James Duffy (Age 60 in the 1901 census) married to a Bridget Hourican. On current maps they are the second last house.  The whole family shows up on the 1901 Census. in the 1911 some of the older children have left home. The griffith valuations have historical maps dated around 1847 which will show where the houses are.  The Barony is Granard and the parish is Killoe.  Here is a link http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/ .  i believe we have to have 2 posts before we can pm.  I am interested in showing this to my cousin and he may have more information and then get back to you
McDonnell Mayo
Duffy         Longford
Kelly          Roscommon
Coffee        Manchester
O'Connor   Dublin/ USA/Canada/Australia
Carthy       Drogheda
Mc Carthy  Dublin

Offline Doreen A Mannion

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 January 16 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I am related to Duffys and Houricans from the Moyne area. My Duffys married McKiernan, Corcoran, Donohoe. My Houricans married Corcoran and Hally. My Grandmother was Anne Corcoran, sister of Faye (Farrell) and cousin of all the Corcorans who lived on the hill at Moyne Crossroads.