Author Topic: parents for John LEAN  (Read 4502 times)

Offline NellieG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
parents for John LEAN
« on: Monday 11 July 11 09:33 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find written proof for the parents and birth date of John Lean an English miner. The only clues I have are his marriage date of 26.3.1837 from the St Mellion parish records. He married Ann Burrow daughter of Benjamin and his wife Ann Dingle. The 1851 census has John born in 1816 in Beralston, Devon and living next door to Jane Lean(b 1794 in North Tamerton, Devon) and her children who are all born in Buralston, Devon. In the 1841 census Jane is living with her husband Thomas as Jenny Lean. In 1871 John is living in Wales and the census said he was born in 1816 in Buralston, Devon. John has a daughter called Jenny Sleep Lean.
I have found a woman called Jenny Sleep who was born in North Tamerton in 1794 to William and Joan Sleep. Lady next door in 1851?
I would be grateful for any help.
Thank-you
NellieG ???

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
Re: parents for John Lean
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 July 11 14:51 BST (UK) »
According to the DFHS Deanery of Tamerton CD, the following children were baptised to a Thomas & Jenny LANE (not LEAN - could be an accent issue with the name being understood as LANE) at Bere Ferrers, which covered Bere Alston:
23 Apr 1815 John, father a miner of Gwennap, Cornwall
18 Apr 1824 Thomas, father a miner of Gwennap, Cornwall (with parents in 1841)
17 Nov 1826 William, father a miner of Beer Alston (mother's name Jane) (buried aged 6 in 1832)
Thomas LEAN married Jane SLEEP at Bere Ferrers 30 Jan 1814.
A Thomas & Jane LEAN baptised the following children at Tavistock Wesleyan Chapel:
17 Mar 1817 Mary
10 Mar 1822 Allaminte (?)
11 Oct 1836 Richard
They also baptised a son William 3 Aug 1834, with the surname recorded as LANE.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline NellieG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: parents for John LEAN
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 03:24 BST (UK) »
This is wonderful. Thank-you for all your help. I have heard that in Cornwall Lean is said "Lane". If the official who writes it is English he will write Lane but if the official is Cornish he will write Lean.
I googled Allaminte Lean and discovered it is a family name in Thoma's family.
best wishes and many thanks.
NellieG

Offline Rayzar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 December 13 16:02 GMT (UK) »

I have the Death Certs for John & Ann , and his parents Thomas & Jenny 

I am trying to find written proof for the parents and birth date of John Lean an English miner. The only clues I have are his marriage date of 26.3.1837 from the St Mellion parish records. He married Ann Burrow daughter of Benjamin and his wife Ann Dingle. The 1851 census has John born in 1816 in Beralston, Devon and living next door to Jane Lean(b 1794 in North Tamerton, Devon) and her children who are all born in Buralston, Devon. In the 1841 census Jane is living with her husband Thomas as Jenny Lean. In 1871 John is living in Wales and the census said he was born in 1816 in Buralston, Devon. John has a daughter called Jenny Sleep Lean.
I have found a woman called Jenny Sleep who was born in North Tamerton in 1794 to William and Joan Sleep. Lady next door in 1851?
Thank-you
NellieG ???
Thank-you
NellieG ???

Offline robinhelstrom88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 17:33 GMT (UK) »
So interesting! Glad I came across this info. I have interest in the William and Joan Sleep family. My relative is daughter Patience who married John Sandercock.
Dudgeon, McBain, Chisholm, Brownlee, Young, Aspevig, Olman, Boyd, Wilson, Pittman, Broome, Chamberl(a)in, LeBas, Marchand, and many more!