Author Topic: Seven Kings WWII Air Raid/Fire Wardens Log  (Read 24611 times)

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seven Kings WWII Air Raid/Fire Wardens Log
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 August 11 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve

My grandfather Redvers Dearman (son of Thomas Dearman) was born in Chester Road in 1901 and Thomas was there until he died in 1955, so they were neighbours all that time!!!

I think the other Dearmans at 88 Chester Road must be Alfred Frank Dearman (my gt uncle) his wife Sarah and their children Stephen and Janet.

What a coincidence this is!

Lynne

Oh yes, it must say Alf Frank Dearman, not Oceanman.

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 August 11 21:31 BST (UK) »
Lynne,
PM me with your email address if you'd like copies of the relevant pages.
Steve.

Offline msavage59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 March 12 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Only just seen this post - I a new member. My interest is as follows:
My grandparents Denis and Rosanna Savage lived at 14 St Albans Road with their children: Monica, Jack, Mary, Veronica, Dorothy and Angela. The house was demolished on 6th March 1945 just before the wars end - by a V2 bomb which exploded on the street outside, leaving not one wall standing - killing two of my father's sisters. Angela was only just 4yrs old and Veronica 16yrs.  My father, Jack, was on active service with the navy in Port Said at the time. My grandparents, Monica, Mary (badly injured)and Dorothy (buried but otherwise unhurt) survived. They also had another young friend staying who had lost both her parents in an earlier bombing raid and she miraculously walked free unhurt The bomb damage can be seen today in that the rebuilt houses differ to the older style houses in the rest of the road. I have always wondered who lived either side of my grandparents because there must have been more fatalities. I have never been able to find out anything concerning the bombing...which i find incredible given that it caused so much damage and fatalities. To know the names of people who lived in the houses from say number 6 through to number 24 would be fascinating.
I do hope I haven't left it too late for you to get in touch with me concerning the neighbours.
Martin

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 March 12 08:40 GMT (UK) »
To know the names of people who lived in the houses from say number 6 through to number 24 would be fascinating.

Martin,
I'm really sorry, but for some reason the entries from 2-24 and 1-25 St. Albans are blank for some reason. Maybe they were part of another warden's patch?
Steve.

Offline msavage59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 09 March 12 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for such a quick reply! The mystery deepens...but as you say, it may well be covered by another warden. St Alban's is a long road and maybe even the meads lane end was covered by another warden. I've noticed that I mistakenly said my grandparents lived at no 14...I had meant no 16. In the 1960s I lived with my parents next door to the grandparents at no14. I was surprised that they wanted to return to the scene of such tragedy, but after temporary housing in chadwell heath, they returned to the newly built house on the same plot. In fact my Aunt Mary who survived terrible injuries is still alive, living in a home in N Yorkshire, and will be 86 this October. She only left St Alban's rd 12 years ago.
Anyway, once again, my thanks for your response.
Martin

Offline msavage59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 09 March 12 15:06 GMT (UK) »
I've just realised that the houses from no.8 up to and including no. 32 were rebuilt. Do you have the names for the occupants from 26 -32?

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 09 March 12 15:49 GMT (UK) »
I've just realised that the houses from no.8 up to and including no. 32 were rebuilt. Do you have the names for the occupants from 26 -32?

Martin,
And I've just realised that I meant 2-42 are blank, not 2-24; sorry about that. The odds are present from 27 though, so:

27: Palmer, Mr, Mrs and Miss G. Next of kin W. Kent of 32 St. Johns Road
29: Pucker, Mrs F.E. and Master (1yr). Next of kin Mr & Mrs Gregory, 36 Empire Avenue, Edmonton,N18
31: Mrs C Davis, Miss E. Elliott, Miss M.J. Hawkins. Next of kin Mrs Rawbone, 126 Coventry Road, Ilford.
33: Purkiss, Mr R.H., Mrs M.A., Mr C.G., Miss E.M. Next of kin Mrs C. Hayes, 37 Henley Road, Ilford.

Please let me know if you'd like any more.

Steve.

Offline msavage59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 09 March 12 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you once again, but I was specifically looking for names of people in the 'bombed out' section of houses.
None-the-less, thank you very much for all your comments/contribution. Much appreciated.
Martin

Offline Dave P

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 07 December 12 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Martin,
I lived at No.22 St Albans road from 1950 onwards and I knew your Aunt Mary.  She was very shy because of the scarring on her face and I guess she must have had terrible psychological damage as well.  I was told that she was blown from the front room to the back and she caught the full force of the window glass which did all the damage to her.

The blast centre was just across the road from our house and the road subsided several inches there every year.  There used to be an old apple tree in our back garden that was damaged by the blast and taken down in 1953.  My grandfather used to live in Maldon road off Meads lane and he remembered the day after the blast, they had constructed a gangplank for people to get over because the hole was so large.

They started rebuilding in about 1948 and he bought the new No 22 with my parents in 1950.  Mr and Mrs Bishop lived next to us at 24 and originally Mr and Mrs Faulkner at 20, I have forgotten the name of no.18 but they had a daughter Jillian.
I have attached a photo of my neighbour Owen Bishop outside his house, the V2 came down just behind him 15 years earlier.  My name is David Pendrill by the way and I've been trying to find out about that V2 for years!  I understand that originally they tried to tell people they were gas explosions to avoid panic.  This V2 strike has not been registered on the map of them that has recently been set-up.
all the best
Dave P