Author Topic: Flinn in Drogheda  (Read 10174 times)

Offline bainin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Flinn in Drogheda
« on: Wednesday 13 July 11 22:00 BST (UK) »
Has anyone come across a Nicholas Flinn in the linen business around 1850-1880 in Drogheda?

Offline XXXX

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Flinn in Drogheda
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi bainin,

Please check you PM as I have sent you snippet from the "Freemans Journal" dated, Tuesday, July 01, 1879.  Every little bit helps!

Appears that your man passed about 1879.

Cheers,

Janet.

Offline XXXX

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 August 11 11:08 BST (UK) »
bainin,

In answer to your question in PM.

The Freeman's Journal was founded in 1763, and was the oldest nationalist newspaper in Ireland.  The Freeman's Journal ceased publication in 1924 when it merged with the Irish Independent.

Cheers,

Janet.

Offline XXXX

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 August 11 11:42 BST (UK) »

Offline mjflynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 May 14 11:07 BST (UK) »
Has anyone come across a Nicholas Flinn in the linen business around 1850-1880 in Drogheda?

I am also searching Flinn in Drogheda and have come across this Nicholas but have not connected him to my family. I have a few bits of info if you are still looking.

Michael.

Offline bainin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 May 14 18:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael-thanks for replying. I've been looking at your post about Kilsharvan Flinns.What a lot of Nicholas Flinns!I have done a bit more on Nicholas in the linen business. I can tell you that he was born about 1821, father Patrick and died in Sept 1878 at Collon (Ardee district).I know that Nicholas Patrick born in Drogheda in 1875 was his son who died in Dublin in 1879.I've come across the Meehan Flinns in Inchicore too and Nicholas Thomas  born in Drogheda .I don't know if they could be connected or not. I'd be interested to know what else you have found.Thanks.

Offline mjflynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 May 14 14:43 BST (UK) »
Nicholas Thomas (b 1879) is my grandfather. I believe there is probably a connection between this family and the Flinns in Inchicore (see my latest post on the Kilsharvan Flinns), but I have not found a connection so far between Nicholas in the linen business and any of the other Flinn families.

Here is a summary of what I have found about Nicholas Flinn (b 1821), based on one of your other posts I found the other day I expect you have most of it already.

Nicholas Flinn bapt 11 Oct 1821 St Peter's Drogheda - Father P Flinn, Mother C Donnelly - sponsors B Flinn & B Hall.

Nicholas married Anne Devin on 14 Jun 1843 at St Peter's Drogheda, this couple had 4 children: Catherine (1844), Patrick (1845), Mary (1846), John (1848) all baptised in Drogheda.

Nicholas later had 6 children with Mary Rooney/Sarsfield though I have been unable to find a record of their marriage: Julia Anne (Dublin 1868), Mary Josephine (Skerries 1870), Etheldreda (Skerries 1871),  Frances Angela Emily (Drogheda 1872), Nicholas Patrick (Drogheda 1875), Helen Margaret (Collon 1877).

Nicholas died in 1878 and is burried in the Cord Cemetery in Drogheda, there is a headstone and the inscription is recorded in James Garry's book.

I have found a number of newspaper articles which mention Nicholas in connection with his linen business, election as a councillor, service as a juror, and the dispute over his will following his death. I have also come across a couple of references to an earlier Nicholas Flinn in the linen/textiles trade in Drogheda in 1806 and 1834.

There is also a tree on ancestry which gives quite a lot of information, which as far as I can tell has been put together by one of the descendants of Mary Sarsfield and her first husband. I assume you are a descendant of Nicholas?

Michael.

Offline bainin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 May 14 20:35 BST (UK) »
Michael-yes that is all the gen on my Nicholas Flinn! That is my tree on ancestry which is missing one record-Nicholas and Mary's marriage.Either that wedding did not happen or was not recorded officially.I suppose I will never know.Can't help being fascinated with how their story unfolded especially as I knew nothing at all of family history for most of my life.  I am a direct descendent of  Mary Sarsfield  but not of  Flinn.I see a nice picture of your grandfather on ancestry on Julianna's tree.I do not have a photo of my Nicholas.Your post on the Kilsharvan Flinn graves confirms the link to Duke Street  Flinns?.I have not been able to connect Nicholas in the linen business with them.I remember one of the historical bits in the Drogheda Independent mentioning a Nicholas Flinn who was involved in providing/building some of the structure of a new linen mill.The article was taken from a Drogheda newspaper from 1828(i think) It is a couple of years ago since i saw it.Maybe that Nicholas was the one who died in 1844 on the Kilsharvan headstones?
Isn't it a coincidence that my Nicholas Flinn's daughters were born in Skerries which has connections with the millwright Flinns? Maybe they ARE all connected.Great research!

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 May 14 10:38 BST (UK) »
I noticed that Julia born 1868 appears on Irish Genealogy in St Lawrence Church.
I have been through the microfilm for this church and its a nightmare,blank pages,blurred pages etc.
I did manage to find some baptisms and marriages that are not on Irish Genealogy but that was because i knew what i was looking for and could just about make them out.
I can understand how whoever transcribed the records without prior knowledge of a family would have a problem trying to decipher the records.
With prior knowledge of what you are looking for you may find something on that film but make sure you bring a big magnifying glass with you.

Dathai.