Author Topic: COMPLETE THANK YOu Edgar MOON Australian Tennis Champion  (Read 12546 times)

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edgar MOON Australian Tennis Champion
« Reply #18 on: Friday 15 July 11 13:21 BST (UK) »

Well done JM, proves again that we shoudn't throw anything out that has the slightest hint of genealogy.

Gerry

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 15 July 11 13:22 BST (UK) »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Moon  oops, my apologies to Sandra as this link is posted in earlier post.

Gar Moon !

Yes Dee, and Gerry,

I am "over the moon" so to write. 

PS, he beat Mr Hopman in that 1930 final  6–3, 6–1, 6–3 .... that's such a fantastic score.

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 15 July 11 13:30 BST (UK) »
Here's more results for Mr Moon

http://m.australianopen.com/en_AU/event_guide/history/players/15355.html
Australian (Grasscourt) Championships Results

Singles      Doubles      Mixed     Total
Matches Played 33               27             26         86
Matches Won    22               15             19         56
Matches Lost     11              12               7         30
Sets Won          58              37             26        121
Sets Lost          42              38             13          93
Games Won    502             370           212      1084
Games Lost    444             375           175        994

These are simply excellent results and extend over the years 1925 to 1939.

This was the era of the amateurs.... they paid their own way, found their own accomodation, food, clothing, equipment, and even strung their own racquets. 

And never a coach in sight at their matches !!!  Long creams, two eyelets in their tennis shoes, no drinks breaks, and everyone was Mr or Miss or Mrs.   No tantrums on court .... no seats to sit down on, change of ends you simply walked to the other end !   Oh, in five set matches, there was a ten minute break after the third set.  If you injured yourself, you simply walked to the net and shook hands to forfeit.  Tennis was a SPORT and not an industry. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 15 July 11 13:33 BST (UK) »
I am absolutely speechless  which is something unusual for me . Only fellow researchers will understand how I feel today I really

have hit the jackpot this time . We only found out that my OH's grandfather was born in Victoria when my father in law died a

couple of years ago. When I first started I never in my wildest dreams imagined that I would find all this

information on the family . I was hoping to get BMD etc. but I have found mill owners in Victoria , tennis players wonder

what I will find when I start getting deeper into the Queensland side of the Gibson family.

Thanks again

Suzilad

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 15 July 11 13:37 BST (UK) »
You hit the jackpot ....  how do you think I feel !   I am so very very delighted .... My claims to fame in tennis are so very humble beside these results. 

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 15 July 11 13:53 BST (UK) »
http://www.daviscup.com/en/players/player/profile.aspx?playerid=10004060

He played right handed, he played in two Davis Cup ties (in 1930), won all four of his singles matches, did not play in the doubles, all matches were on Grass. 

First round was in Switzerland early May 1930

Second round was in Ireland mid May 1930

At a guess, I feel the Aussies would have stayed in Europe for that Summer,  perhaps Rome, then Paris and then London !

Cheers,  JM

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 15 July 11 13:59 BST (UK) »

My OH cannot believe what I have just discovered I think this will be the topic of conversation at the golf club for a wee while

what an amazing  family tree this is turning out to be   between maternal ggg grandmother  being  a sugar plantation owners

daughter in Barbados ending up here in Scotland in 1841 , mill owners in Victoria, tennis players in Queensland and I have still

to research Edgar's grandfather William Martin Gibson who I believe had a street or an area named after him and the rest of the

family in Queensland. Wonder what will turn up next.

I'm like the cat who got the cream   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Suzilad

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 15 July 11 14:01 BST (UK) »
Well, when you have sorted everything out, you could get onto that Wiki site that Sandra linked for you and edit and add to it !  ;D

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 15 July 11 14:22 BST (UK) »

I certainly will got a lot more to do yet on the Queensland side of this family I haven't much on the Moons as yet it is

the Gibsons side I am  researching . Now  I really want to find out more about him where he is buried etc. and if there will be a

a death notice etc. 

Suzilad