Author Topic: hambridge family on there canal boat.  (Read 41204 times)

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
hambridge family on there canal boat.
« on: Friday 15 July 11 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi my name is kirstyjane foreman.

I am doing some searching on my grandads side of the family.
My great grandad william hambridge camed from ireland he met and marred my great nan called sarah ann thompson they had children my grandad name was joseph samuel hambridge born wharf braunston on 20th april 1915 he met and marred my nan hannah walker in 1939 in brentford middlesex they had 3 boys called * * and a baby boy that died of cox death and 2 girls called * and my mum *.

I was told that my grandads family and my nans family worked on boats deliver coal to brentford. when i was a kid i remeber seeing a photo of my grandad joseph and my great grandad william hambridge who was about 6 foot tall and my grandads brother william hambridge born on 18th dec 1913 back when i was a kid i did not no of the name of my grandads brother until i done some searching and found out william hambridge my grandads brother was born in wharf braunston where my grandad joseph samuel hambridge was born. 

i would like to no what happen to hambridge family who may of lived in wharf  braunston or northamptonshire i no that my grandad live brentford until he died but i have no idea of what happen to the rest of he's family and i am very stuck on ancestry and that is why i am writting on here to find out if anyone knows any info on the hambridge family who lived and worked on the boat. thank you all for readding this and i hope to here from someone soon from kirsty foreman :)

Moderator's Note: recent family details removed in accordance with Rootschat policy

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: hambridge family on there canal boat.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 July 11 20:06 BST (UK) »
kirsty -

I have done some further research into my Hambridge family.

Even though one of my great grandfathers was in the coal business he never was on a canal or barge in England. He did have some contact with canal boats/barges in the US though.

I will keep looking to see if there are any links.   

yn9man
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 July 11 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Kirstyjane, the only Hambridge family I could locate that worked the canals was this one, with a William, but he was not born in Ireland?

1901 Census
Thomas Hambridge 46 occ Captain Boatman ( Barge) b Banbury
Emma 40 b Banbury
William 18 occ Captain Boatman b Birmingham
Thomas 16 occ Captain Boatman b Birmingham
John 10 b Birmingham
Bertie 6 b Birmingham
Residing at Canal Boat, at Emscote Wharfs, Warwick.
Census Ref RG13/2929/55/31
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 July 11 20:58 BST (UK) »
do you have William & Sarah Anns marriage certificate ?

Marriages Jun 1910   
BEAMISH    Kate Elizabeth        Nuneaton    6d   676    
HAMBRIDGE    William        Nuneaton    6d   676   
HARDING    William Arthur        Nuneaton    6d   676    
THOMPSON    Sarah Ann        Nuneaton    6d   676

you can order a copy from the GRO using the above details this will give you Williams fathers name and his age so we can locate him pre 1910
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 July 11 21:02 BST (UK) »
i cannot see the 1911 census fully and we are not allowed to do look ups for this but i can do a basic person search and i can see a William Hambridge in Nuneaton he gives his age as 28 thus being born 1883 also in the household is a Sarah Hambridge crucially the schedule type is shipping   
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 July 11 10:17 BST (UK) »
do no if there was a alf hambridge in the family because a while a go i tiped in the hambridge name and found an alf hambridge deliver coal to brentford and there was a postcard of him and family on the boat in brentford i cant seem to find the website of him on he's boat any more but i do think he is family to my grandad joseph samuel hambridge thank you.

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 July 11 10:22 BST (UK) »
and if you dont think my great grandad william hambridge  camed from ireland where do you think he's wife my great nan sarah ann thompson come from i have no idea myself

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 July 11 11:34 BST (UK) »
I can't see any birth in Ireland for your William Hambridge so it could be that the Irish connection is further back in the family.

You'll need to search step by step in a logical manner if you wish to trace the family, starting with what you information you have and then finding sources.
For example, someone has found the index listing for marriage of William and Sarah Ann. If you get this certificate it should show his residence at the time of marriage as well as father's name and occupation (unless illegitimate).
Since the couple were married before the 1911 census when you check that you'll have their ages as well as birthplaces (we aren't allowed to do lookups for that particular census).
With the above details you can start checking 1901, 1891, etc. ceneus records (we are allowed to help you find those).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 July 11 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hello
 The magazine Narrowboat (comes out 4 times a year)has articals on the Hambridge canal family in the Summer 2007 Winter 2008 Autumn 2009 Winter 2006 magazines & many more.The mentioned gentleman is still alive i belive, so cant post name ect but if you contact the editor as i did last year when i needed to contact mr Hambridge im sure he will pass your details onto him & he will then contact you.Its a pity you did not post this a few weeks ago as some members of the family where @the Braunston Historic boat show.I have some parish records for the Boatmans church in Brentford for Baptisms of Hambridge children.
Jeannette