Author Topic: hambridge family on there canal boat.  (Read 41247 times)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: hambridge family on there canal boat.
« Reply #72 on: Sunday 14 October 18 16:36 BST (UK) »
I at present do not know,  as I at present cannot locate a marriage of Thomas Hambridge to an Emma Walker, Emma has to be traced back from 1901 census?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Sunday 14 October 18 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Kirstyjane, the only Hambridge family I could locate that worked the canals was this one, with a William, but he was not born in Ireland?

1901 Census
Thomas Hambridge 46 occ Captain Boatman ( Barge) b Banbury
Emma 40 b Banbury
William 18 occ Captain Boatman b Birmingham
Thomas 16 occ Captain Boatman b Birmingham
John 10 b Birmingham
Bertie 6 b Birmingham
Residing at Canal Boat, at Emscote Wharfs, Warwick.
Census Ref RG13/2929/55/31
Keyboard86

Note all the children on this census ( age slightly askew sometimes) have mothers maiden name Walker
Keyboard86

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Sunday 14 October 18 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Kirstyjane, the only Hambridge family I could locate that worked the canals was this one, with a William, but he was not born in Ireland?

1901 Census
Emma 40 b Banbury
John 10 b Birmingham
Bertie 6 b Birmingham
Keyboard86

Note all the children on this census ( age slightly askew sometimes) have mothers maiden name Walker
Keyboard86
could there be a connection between Emma walker and my great great nan Emily Amy walker father James walker

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Sunday 14 October 18 17:26 BST (UK) »
 :) As I say, I do not know as at present no marriage I can locate to Thomas?
It is so difficult because I get the impression you have no birth/marriage or death certificates for either the Hambridge or Walker families
Keyboard86

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Sunday 14 October 18 21:51 BST (UK) »
:) As I say, I do not know as at present no marriage I can locate to Thomas?
It is so difficult because I get the impression you have no birth/marriage or death certificates for either the Hambridge or Walker families
Keyboard86 yes intact I have the marriage certificate of George Herbert Walker and ada Byfield they married in parish church in Birmingham August the 2nd 1909 George Herbert Walker illegitimate child of Emily Walker Witnesses was Charles Byfield and Emily.
My great grandfather William Hambridge married my great nan Sarah Ann Thompson they married in Nuneaton in a registry office Jun 10, 1910 Witnesses was Joseph Thompson and Emily. On william Hambridge marriage certificate there is a father's name called Thomas Hambridge. So I would like to find out if there is a connection between Emma Hambridge maiden name Walker and to see if she is related to my great grandad George Herbert Walker and his mother Emily Walker and her father Charles Walker.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Monday 15 October 18 15:58 BST (UK) »
 :) Hi sorry I am getting a bit lost, on the marriage of George Herbert Walker to Ada Byfield 1909 we have witnesses of Charles Byfield & EMILY, the marriage of William Hambridge to Sarah Ann Thompson 1910 has witnesses as Joseph Thompson & EMILY

So, we presume that the EMMA with Thomas for which at present I cannot locate a marriage, had some link to the Emily who had an ilegitimate child, and was she witness to two marriages as Walker?

When/where was George Herbert Walker born, and does it actually say "Illegitimate child of Emily" on his marriage certificate?
Keyboard86

PS I see you have a huge thread on the Walker family, what was the outcome, from a cursory glance one of the witnesses was an Emily Jones not Walker or Hambridge
Sorry this is getting too complicated for me, two threads that have covered 9 pages of replies.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Monday 15 October 18 17:17 BST (UK) »
There is another thread that has been running concerning George Herbert Walker.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=782973.msg6576481#msg6576481

I copy below details of a couple of posts I have made on that thread that contain pertinent information.

(1)
George Herbert Walker was baptised in 1886 in Brinklow, Warwickshire. This provides the information that his mother was Emily Walker, a single woman. No father is named.
1881 census for Brinklow has an Emily Walker age 18, daughter of James and Mary Ann Walker. She is likely to be the mother of George Herbert Walker.
In 1891 George  is living in Stockton, Warwickshire with his mother Emily and a sister called Rose ( born as Rose Morris with mmn Walker in Brinklow in  1888). Emily, George and Rose all have the surname Morris and Emily indicates that she is married, but her husband is not present.
In 1901 Emily ( still using the name Morris and claiming to be married) is living in Brinklow. Rose and George are not with her but she has three other children - Charles age 6, Lily age 1 and an unnamed infant. The births of all these children are registered as Morris with mmn Walker. No husband is present.
There is no record of a marriage between Emily and someone called Morris and it is likely they were never married. The only clue to the name of Mr Morris comes from the 1910 marriage certificate of daughter Rose, which names her father as Charles Morris, Boatman ( deceased).
Emily married in 1910 in Northants to William Harry Stratfull. She calls herself a widow and married under the name Morris. She gives her father as James Walker,  Boatman (deceased) The family are at Buckby Wharf, Northants in the 1911 census. William Harry and Emily have surname Stratfull ( married one year) There are four Morris children living with them - Lilian Mary (Lily) and Blanche Elizabeth ( the baby from 1901) plus Ethel born 1903 and Leonard born 1905. The latter two children are also recorded as surname Morris mmn Walker.
So to summarise, Emily Walker appears to have had seven children
George Herbert Walker (father unknown)
Rose ( father Charles Morris)
Charles ( father probably Charles Morris)
Lilian Mary (Lily)( father probably Charles Morris)
Blanche Elizabeth ( father probably Charles Morris)
Ethel ( father probably Charles Morris)
Leonard ( father probably Charles Morris)
It appears unlikely that Emily was actually ever married to Charles Morris.

(2)
Emily Ann Walker was born in 1863 in Brinklow. As far as I can see from census returns she was one of 12 children of James Walker and Mary Ann nee Gresley/Greasley. James Walker married Mary Ann Gresley on 16th December 1861 at Bordesley St Andrew, Warwickshire ( certificate viewable on Ancestry).He was age 32 and his occupation was Boatman ( although he appears as a Labourer on some of the census returns). His father was James Walker, a Tallow Maker. Mary Ann was 21, the daughter of Joseph Gresley, a Labourer.
Siblings of Emily were -
James born 1860 with surname Greasley ( pre marriage)
Emily Ann born 1863
Alice born 1864
George born 1866 died 1870
Lizzy born 1868 ( seems also to have been known as Lucy and Elizabeth)
Sarah Ann born 1870
Frederick born 1871 died 1872
Annie 1872
Edward 1874
Harry born 1875 died 1876
Beatrice Louisa 1876
Herbert 1878

James Walker was born about 1829 in Brinklow and Mary Ann Walker nee Gresley was born 1839/40 also in Brinklow.

Regarding your question about the possibility of Charles Morris being the father of George Herbert Walker. It is possible, but unfortunately I’m not sure how you would prove this conclusively as there is no father’s name  on his birth or baptism.
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Monday 15 October 18 19:04 BST (UK) »

1901 Census
Emma 40 b Banbury
John 10 b Birmingham
Bertie 6 b Birmingham
Keyboard86

Keyboard86
could there be a connection between Emma walker and my great great nan Emily Amy walker father James walker
on MyHeritage I came across Thomas Hambridge born 1858 but I cant find a death year for thomas hambridge and I cant find a birth year or a death year for emma hambridge

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Monday 15 October 18 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hi again, you must read through all replies given to you, I have already supplied a possible death for Thomas Hambridge in Nuneaton 1923 aged 63 and his possible parents?
Keyboard86

PS if you have only one marriage certificate for a Walker how did you get as far back as your Great Great Nan Emily Amy Walker father James Walker?