Author Topic: Llanfihangel Crucorney marriage Michael/Jones  (Read 8202 times)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Llanfihangel Crucorney marriage Michael/Jones
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 11 November 17 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Well the cutting is so close to the conviction date you gave it has to be Edwin - the siblings names then seem to suggest he's not from the Cwmera family.

Where does the 1808 date of birth come from - and Glamorgan?. The Cwmera family aren't from Glamorgan

There would be rather a lot of William Joneses who could be Edwin's father

if it's any help it appears the brother Samuel was transported in 1832

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 11 November 17 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Samuel was 28 when convicted in august 1832, According to newspapers, which fits a Samuel Jones convicted in Monmouth who arrived on the Camden  on 17 Feb 1833

I've found the record for James (35) and "Edward" Jones (22) received onto the hulk Justicia - convicted of housebreaking, Monmouth assizes 25 March 1833, departed the hulk 14 August 1833

The three and their friends Thomas Parry, Thomas Snell alias Chapman and John Bale were described as a most formidable gang of housebreakers who have infested the town and neighbourhood of Pontypool for some time

Offline lahpun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 12 November 17 02:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mabel,
I have a friend who has Ancestry and he told me that -
Edwin Jones was born 16 September 1808 Glamorgan Gwent Wales and he died in Penrith Australia in 1862 and he found a headstone showing same.
He also found a William Jones 1780 and dying 1861 aged 81 marrying a Eunice Davies  1786 and dying 1860 aged 74 who had four children: Edwin (Edmund) James, Samuel and Catherine as mentioned in the newspaper article.  James drowned in 1834 at Maitland NSW and Samuel died in 1844 of a burst blood vessel at Black Heath Stockade.   Edwin and James were transported to Australia on the ship 'LLOYDS".
Can you make something of William and Eunice Davies from their dates?
Thank you for all the help you are giving.
What happened to James' two children when he got sent to Australia.  Maybe William and Eunice looked after them?
Lesley

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 12 November 17 18:24 GMT (UK) »
OK

Glamorgan and Gwent are two different counties, so people would not described themselves as born "Glamorgan Gwent"  Also Gwent wasn't really used for the area in the early 19th century - it would have been Monmouthshire.

I think the problem may be that a number of people have trees on Ancestry for Edwin, which seem to copy each other and suggest his parents were William and Eunice. I can't see they have any significant sources for this conclusion - although admit as I don;t have a worldwide Ancestry sub there may be info I'm missing. The gravestone only gives dates of birth and death

What I can say as the contemporaneous newspaper reports name 3 brothers, and those and other records place them as being born c1798, c1805 and c1810 - all before William Jones and Eunice Jones of Cwmmera were married. Their locale is also not particularly near Cwmmera.

I wonder if people have spotted his daughter Eunice, supposed she was named for his mother, found a William and Eunice and decided there is a link?

I've just come across this, which is interesting as it's the right parish for the offences. Sadly no age given

Eunice Jones
Father:    William Jones
Mother:    Mary
Burial    5 Mar 1836, Ebenezer Chapel, Trevethin, Monmouthshire, Wales

Offline lahpun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 12 November 17 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mabel,
Thanks for your reply.   Yes, I think it is as you say, there are so many trees on Ancestry, all claiming to have Edwin Jones in them, and they could have copied the information across to their tree.   I was sent information that a William and Eunice Jones were Edwin's parents but apparently it may not be the case.   Unless someone has access to births in Wales early 1800 we will never know.
Thanks for your help.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 13 November 17 20:11 GMT (UK) »
the start of registration of births was in 1837. Prior to that, all there are is baptisms and the majority of what is available online is baptisms from the established/Anglican church and are indexed by parish and county. Non-conformist records didn't always survive and not many are online.
 So, sorry but no such record set as 'births in Wales early 1800'
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline lahpun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 11:00 GMT (UK) »

Thanks Osprey for your input on the parents of Edwin Jones and births in Wales 1800.   I guess we will never know.  Thanks anyway.
Lesley

Offline RanneFraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Did Edwin Jones leave a will in Australia? It might mention relatives. I traced my family in Wales mainly through censuses and wills. A good place to look into would be his youngest children. Since he and Sophie died while the children were still very young, who took care of them? Where did they grow up?
Denbighshire - Thomas
Flintshire - Humphreys
Anglesey - Michael
Monmouthshire - Davies, Jones
Sussex - Lintott, Cole, Bulbeck
Kent - Wanstall, Relph
Lancashire - Collins, Shepley/Shipley, Saddler
Cheshire - Leedham/Leedom/Lydem, Perkins

Offline lahpun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 17 November 17 00:52 GMT (UK) »

Hello Ranne,
I have checked the NSW State Archives for Wills and there is none for Edwin Jones listed.
When Edwin died in 1862 and subsequently Sophia in 1867 the children's ages ranged from 24 James down to Elizabeth who would have been 5.   I have no idea who would have looked after them as I have not gone down that path.  James is the line I am following.   An assumption is that maybe as they had no relatives (other than Sophia's parents and siblings) that the family closed ranks and helped each other.  James being 24, Mary A 21 and Isaac 19. Maybe Ann and John Elliott (Sophia's parents lent a hand or took them in.
James married in 1875 Dora Coone
Mary A and Isaac there are too many to chose from.
Lesley